Please help me understand custom core voltage vs Auto - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Please help me understand custom core voltage vs Auto

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2020, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Please help me understand custom core voltage vs Auto

I managed to downvolt my 9900ks to run 5ghz at 1.295v (with turbo LLC on this z390 Aorus Pro)
This is the minimum stable voltage that i feel comfortable with
Under avx load 1.220v
Gaming 1.250v
Idle 1.260-1.270

etc etc
Never goes over 1.3v, however ofc due to LLC, much more 'static' voltage.

The stock, however ran cooler by up to 5°C despite being at 1.38v? And I'd see VR VOUT fluctuate throughout the night (idling). I'm not so sure about the averages on that, but i think they were pretty much the same to what I have now.

I've noticed differences with the liquid temps as well of course, idling at about 2 degrees more which i'd like to go back on but I don't know how.

Is there a way to run this CPU cooler by somehow making it run on lower voltage idle? Cause right now it runs at 1.25v almost at all times and I think that's contrary to what i wanted to accomplish by applying manual voltages (including VCCIO and VCCSA- as they were both at 1.25- 1.275 for like, no reason. They're now both at around 1.150, but that's unrelated really, ofc.) however of course i wanted to undervolt this cpu to increase its lifespan and because Gigabyte and other pro motherboard manufacturers are notorious for putting general auto voltages across ranges of chips that have different efficiencies..

And if there are any upsides to this custom OC, it's that under full gaming load, I've not seen this cpu (package) cross 70°C, which with Auto voltage, i'd see temps up to 80°C in load screens. Game play in all games is generally always 50- 65°C

So do you think i should just put it all back on Auto? I have only just learned to OC properly, on a CPU that comes 'pre-overclocked' and I was getting alright results, but I still don't really get why auto voltage can't scale the idle voltage down as well and instead what I'm getting is more heat out of less voltage in the chip :s lol

Anyway, sorry for my convoluted post right here, I hope you understand the pain and maybe i'm just doing noob mistakes here but I think i've done everything right and I can't find the answers so reaching out to you pros.

Thanks in advance
Attached Images

CPU
i9 9900ks
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
GPU
Aorus RTX 2070 Super
RAM
G.Skill Trident RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 970 Plus
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 EVO
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 EVO
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova G2
Cooling
NZXT Kraken x73 (360mm) AIO
Case
P35 Sahara
Monitor
C27JG52
Keyboard
Hyper X Alloy FPS Cherry MX Red
Mouse
Logitech G305 (Wireless)
Mousepad
JIALONG Gaming Mouse Mat (World Map)
Audio
Hyper X Cloud Flight
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 10:16 AM
Not a Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
In the BIOS is the voltage set at manual?

The way I've done it to achieve what you are talking about was to set the voltage to adaptive and the windows power plan to balanced... Then at idle it drops below 1v...

I prefer to never let voltages stay on auto... If you need help setting the adaptive voltage let me know and I can post some pics of my bios settings when I get home from work...

Apex
(14 items)
CPU
i9 9900k
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Maximus XI Apex
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080 Super FTW3 HydroCopper
RAM
G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 16gb 4133
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro m.2 512GB
Hard Drive
Samsung M.2 960 Evo 1tb
Hard Drive
Western Digital Black
Power Supply
EVGA 1200 P2
Cooling
Custom water
Case
Thermaltake Core X9
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro X64
Monitor
LG 27" Ultra HD 4k
Keyboard
Microsoft Natural Ergonomic
Mouse
Logitech G900
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2020, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

The voltage is set on Manual, yeah. 1.290 I think, it shows 1.296 though, which is fine. I did a lot of tinkering and these are the minimums. Turbo LLC. I've overclocked an 8600k before to 4.9 - 5ghz. Was pretty much the same process, but never really cared about the temps on that chip as I do this one.

It's not a big deal really, but these manual voltages increased idle COOLANT temps by about 4 degrees, general idle-state CPU temp by idk maybe 4 or so degrees. Sucks really, but i still think it's healthier to pump 1.27 volts constant rather than the Auto, variable 1.220 - 1.390

Anyway if there's a way to reduce idle VR VOUT i'd be game

And also, I can't put voltage on 'adaptive' after entering manual voltage, would you mind explaining? Also thanks for the reply

CPU
i9 9900ks
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
GPU
Aorus RTX 2070 Super
RAM
G.Skill Trident RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 970 Plus
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 EVO
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 EVO
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova G2
Cooling
Case
P35 Sahara
Monitor
C27JG52
Keyboard
Mouse
Logitech G305 (Wireless)
Mousepad
Audio
Hyper X Cloud Flight
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2020, 10:23 AM
Facepalm

Rep: 463 (Unique: 321)
Quote: Originally Posted by TheDeleted117 View Post
The voltage is set on Manual, yeah. 1.290 I think, it shows 1.296 though, which is fine. I did a lot of tinkering and these are the minimums. Turbo LLC. I've overclocked an 8600k before to 4.9 - 5ghz. Was pretty much the same process, but never really cared about the temps on that chip as I do this one.

It's not a big deal really, but these manual voltages increased idle COOLANT temps by about 4 degrees, general idle-state CPU temp by idk maybe 4 or so degrees. Sucks really, but i still think it's healthier to pump 1.27 volts constant rather than the Auto, variable 1.220 - 1.390

Anyway if there's a way to reduce idle VR VOUT i'd be game

And also, I can't put voltage on 'adaptive' after entering manual voltage, would you mind explaining? Also thanks for the reply
Your board doesn't have adaptive voltage.

You have DVID or auto only (Auto is DVID with +0.00v offset). DVID mode is the same as Asus' "offset" mode.
DVID: controlled by "base CPU VID" and "AC Loadline" values, then influenced at the end by loadline calibration. This has been discussed extensively by me in the Gigabyte z390 thread and I will not repeat myself here because it takes way too much time to say the same things over and over.

Make sure you are also using the newest version of the bios (the one with the new GUI but that does NOT have the tREFI bug. If your BIOS is missing "CPU PLL Overvoltage +mv" then it has the bug).
Older Bioses will cause extreme overvoltage if you switch from DVID mode to fixed vcore mode, unless you reboot 2 times. Newest beta versions are on tweaktown gigabyte beta bios forum thread.

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM

Quote: Originally Posted by sakete View Post
Well, I want you to know I have an academic degree in speculation.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2020, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Hello there Falkentyne, yes thank you so much for all the info, i have actually managed to find a newer version of the BIOS (But i've already been running 12d from end of last year with all the vcore behaviour fixes. Should I install this beta f12H? Very tempting Idec.

Also thanks but I am not missing CPU PLL Overvoltage +mv settings, but what should i even use this setting for? I'm not looking to tweak my cpu as much as just decrease idle temps to what they were on -all Auto-

Thanks for all the BIOS info regardless! And if you can help me with this too? Anyway, i've been curious when new BIOS hits the 390s haha. I'll probably wait for your response until I decide to flash this.

CPU
i9 9900ks
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
GPU
Aorus RTX 2070 Super
RAM
G.Skill Trident RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 970 Plus
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 EVO
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 EVO
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova G2
Cooling
Case
P35 Sahara
Monitor
C27JG52
Keyboard
Mouse
Logitech G305 (Wireless)
Mousepad
Audio
Hyper X Cloud Flight
▲ hide details ▲
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2020, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Ok i flashed the experimental BIOS 'cause YOLO and I saw some Vcore drop (on Auto- 1.35 max now, instead of 1.38 before? ) and the UI is nicer, whether it's custom or new design doesn't matter. Also my BIOS mouse- lag stopped completely which is also pleasant. Hasn't changed much else though and I'm still about to test Manual voltage temps, which i doubt will change, but if they do i'll update you.

Ofc I'll use same voltages as before, to eliminate variables.

Let me know what else I should be aware of pls, I am not really after much else other than generally lower temps from the manual OC, by about 2 degrees at least. My cpu is running so cool now at Auto but I don't like seeing 1.35 so going back to manual. Maybe I'll check the forum tomorrow

CPU
i9 9900ks
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
GPU
Aorus RTX 2070 Super
RAM
G.Skill Trident RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 970 Plus
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 EVO
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 EVO
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova G2
Cooling
Case
P35 Sahara
Monitor
C27JG52
Keyboard
Mouse
Logitech G305 (Wireless)
Mousepad
Audio
Hyper X Cloud Flight
▲ hide details ▲
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2020, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Okay, wooo! So I did a thing, did exact same voltage set up on everything including memory controller (even though that does nothing)

Aaaand I actually managed to get the idle temps cooler again! My cpu would never reach 26 degrees under the old 12d BIOS, but now it drops from 30-31 to 26 under ideal conditions, in fact right now it's at 28-29 and i've been browsing the net for about half an hour. Thanks! Of course there could be other variables at play here but I'm doubtful as before the temps were really stubborn!

Anyway, how do I thank you. And how did you know about those Beta BIOSes? Very insightful! Also, how come they don't do official releases more often? Kinda shame really. Either way, whatever it was.. it worked. Thanks again Falkentyne, if I can rate or support you in any way I'd like to do so. However I'm noob to these forums, as you can probably tell xd

CPU
i9 9900ks
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
GPU
Aorus RTX 2070 Super
RAM
G.Skill Trident RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 970 Plus
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 EVO
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 EVO
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova G2
Cooling
Case
P35 Sahara
Monitor
C27JG52
Keyboard
Mouse
Logitech G305 (Wireless)
Mousepad
Audio
Hyper X Cloud Flight
▲ hide details ▲
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2020, 10:36 AM
Facepalm

Rep: 463 (Unique: 321)
Quote: Originally Posted by TheDeleted117 View Post
Okay, wooo! So I did a thing, did exact same voltage set up on everything including memory controller (even though that does nothing)

Aaaand I actually managed to get the idle temps cooler again! My cpu would never reach 26 degrees under the old 12d BIOS, but now it drops from 30-31 to 26 under ideal conditions, in fact right now it's at 28-29 and i've been browsing the net for about half an hour. Thanks! Of course there could be other variables at play here but I'm doubtful as before the temps were really stubborn!

Anyway, how do I thank you. And how did you know about those Beta BIOSes? Very insightful! Also, how come they don't do official releases more often? Kinda shame really. Either way, whatever it was.. it worked. Thanks again Falkentyne, if I can rate or support you in any way I'd like to do so. However I'm noob to these forums, as you can probably tell xd
Beta bioses have been posted on tweaktown for 10 years now....

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM

Quote: Originally Posted by sakete View Post
Well, I want you to know I have an academic degree in speculation.

Tags
9900ks , how does polar bear know what apples is , llc , temperatures , vcore

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in