Starting a new intel build: Help! - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Starting a new intel build: Help!

post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-06-2020, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 2)
Starting a new intel build: Help!

It's time to upgrade boys.

I definitely want to go with intel. I am unsure of i5, i7, or i9.

I will be upgrading from a Quad Core 6600 and ddr 2 Ram ............

When I picked the Q6600 at the time, it was sort of the best bang for the buck. It has lasted me a decade now and I'm still using it. I no longer know which processor is the best bang for the buck. (NO AMD < Not interested. At all. Not even a little)

Also.......... I KNOW they make motherboards with 10 trillion bells and whistles. I DO NOT NEED all that. Bluetooth /wifi/ etc..... I don't need it. What I DO need is a SOLID motherboard by all accounts with decent (but maybe not the best) overclocking ability.

I currently have a Biostar Motherboard BTC 250 pro........ someone else mentioned they thought the ceiling on that board was an i7......

Last thing > To save $$, I have no issues really with buying used parts. HELP ME pick some parts guys. Ready to order.

Last edited by concretefire; 06-06-2020 at 12:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-06-2020, 12:36 PM
Avid Memer

Rep: 246 (Unique: 182)
It's hard to make recommendations without knowing your budget.

ITX gaming system
(17 items)
CPU
i9-9900KF
Motherboard
ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX/AC
GPU
EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black Gaming
RAM
Crucial Ballistix
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro
Hard Drive
Seagate FireCuda
Power Supply
Seasonic FOCUS SGX
Cooling
Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Case
SilverStone FTZ01-E
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
BenQ XL2420Z
Monitor
BenQ RL2455HM
Keyboard
Deck Legend Fire
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 500
Mousepad
HyperX Fury S Cloud9 Edition
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-06-2020, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by chessmyantidrug View Post
It's hard to make recommendations without knowing your budget.
That is a fair point but I need to explain something > Technically speaking, I have everything I need for the upgrade EXCEPT the CPU...... and if I want i9- which I am seriously considering, then I will need a different MOBO.

I just looked and saw I could get a a used i9-9900k for around $350 < no fan. I have fans. Not worried about fans. I have big ass coolers too, etc...... I have 8 gb of DDR 4 ram. SSD drives, bluetooth USB adaptor, etc........

IF I can get that i9-9900k for $350 > THAT is the one I will get. Unless somebody tells me there's a better one out there for cheaper........????

Now I need a solid motherboard to run the monster. Preferably a mobo without a lot of bells and whistles / just the basics.

I know there's mobo's out there that fit my needs, I just don't know what they are anymore. I KNOW I don't need the top of the line gaming Mobo, etc......I rarely play games. Also, I already have a 1060 GTX graphics card. Plenty powerful for my *CURRENT* needs.....

So all in all , I'm looking to do all this under $500. The cheaper the better. But I won't sacrifice perfomance. I WILL sacrifice stuff on the mobo like wifi capabiility, etc...... As long as I can plug a LAN line in there and have the fastest possible connection, I'm good.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-06-2020, 02:13 PM
Avid Memer

If you don't game, choosing Intel over AMD doesn't make a lot of sense. Intel is typically the choice people make when their primary use is gaming. If you're trying to spend under $500, I would recommend considering a build centered around an R5 3600 and either an existing B450 board like the Tomahawk MAX from MSI or an upcoming B550 board as those would easily run you under $500. If you're intent on sticking with Intel, your best option would be an i5-10600K and a Z490 motherboard like Aorus Elite from Gigabyte.

ITX gaming system
(17 items)
CPU
i9-9900KF
Motherboard
GPU
RAM
Crucial Ballistix
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro
Hard Drive
Seagate FireCuda
Power Supply
Seasonic FOCUS SGX
Cooling
Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Case
SilverStone FTZ01-E
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
BenQ XL2420Z
Monitor
BenQ RL2455HM
Keyboard
Deck Legend Fire
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 500
Mousepad
▲ hide details ▲
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-06-2020, 02:31 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 44 (Unique: 10)
If you would OC both CPU and RAM, the best choice for the price is a used MAXIMUS XI GENE. Or if you don't mind ITX, you can check MSI Z390i.

For 4 DIMM OC, at least you may want a used MAXIMUS XI HERO.

OLDFATSHEEP's 10gen
(11 items)
CPU
Intel i9 10900K
Motherboard
ROG Maximus XII APEX
GPU
Geforce RTX 2080 FE
RAM
Micron Ballistix Max 4000
Hard Drive
970 PRO
Hard Drive
970 EVO PLUS
Power Supply
Asus Thor 850W
Cooling
Corsair H150i pro
Monitor
Dell UP2716D
Keyboard
Razer Huntsman Elite
Mouse
Razer Viper Ultimate Wireless
CPU
i9 9900k
CPU
i7 8086K
Motherboard
Asus Maximus XI GENE
GPU
Geforce RTX 2080 FE
RAM
F4-4133C17D-16GTZR
Hard Drive
970 PRO
Hard Drive
SM961
Power Supply
EVGA 1000W G+
Cooling
Corsair H150i pro
Monitor
NEC PA271W
Audio
GRADO RS2e
▲ hide details ▲
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-06-2020, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

If you don't game, choosing Intel over AMD doesn't make a lot of sense. Intel is typically the choice people make when their primary use is gaming. If you're trying to spend under $500, I would recommend considering a build centered around an R5 3600 and either an existing B450 board like the Tomahawk MAX from MSI or an upcoming B550 board as those would easily run you under $500. If you're intent on sticking with Intel, your best option would be an i5-10600K and a Z490 motherboard like Aorus Elite from Gigabyte.
Thanks for the response. I'm aware of the AMD lineup and their price points. I used to be an AMD guy. Had a Thunderbird chip. Still have it as a matter of fact. Lol. But then with this build I went intel quad core 6600 and 4gb of ram and seriously.........I've had it for a decade now. I've replaced the PSU twice and upgraded the GPU to the 1060. MOBO is Asus P5Q-Pro. Overclocks beautifully.

Other than that, I've done nothing to this PC and it's been fantastic but it's showing its age.

Saying I don't play games is not entirely true. It's mostly true. I keep up with PC games because I'm a big graphics guy. I like to see how advanced things are becoming and to be honest......the last decade, I have not been impressed by games. I mean, at all. We should be damn near photorealistic gaming now......and we're not close. So......... any "games" I would play would definitely be OFFLINE....... and games like First person shooters or older games like Sim City, Falcon 4.0, etc.

One game I DEFINITELY DO want to get and play is Red Dead Redemption 2 or whatever that was. Looked amazing and I'm sure the mod community will make it even better.

Bottom Line: I'm somewhat of an intel snob. I simply believe they are the better quality chips, less hassle, etc... but that's me. Do I NEED an I9-9900k? Hell no......... not for my needs. But what I want to accomplish NOW is WAAAY OVERKILL because I know that 5 yrs down the road as things progress and data gets bigger, etc......this new machine too will start to slow down and show it's age. I just believe sheer, raw ass power solves a lot of problems. I like to do video editing and such too...... 3d programs like Maya, etc...

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-06-2020, 03:05 PM
Avid Memer

You list a bunch of reasons to go Zen, but don't want to consider it. You want sheer, raw power and you get that with AMD more than you do with Intel, especially at each price point. Intel is only superior in gaming specifically. Your Intel options really stress your budget because you really want to run at least 16 GB RAM these days.

I'm really glad you got a lot of longevity out of your Q6600, but the landscape is nowhere near what it was when the Q6600 was the budget king. No idea why you think graphics should be photorealistic. Rasterization can't accomplish that which is why Nvidia has been pushing for ray tracing. Traditional rendering methods were never going to get us there.

ITX gaming system
(17 items)
CPU
i9-9900KF
Motherboard
GPU
RAM
Crucial Ballistix
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro
Hard Drive
Seagate FireCuda
Power Supply
Seasonic FOCUS SGX
Cooling
Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Case
SilverStone FTZ01-E
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
BenQ XL2420Z
Monitor
BenQ RL2455HM
Keyboard
Deck Legend Fire
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 500
Mousepad
▲ hide details ▲
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-06-2020, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

You list a bunch of reasons to go Zen, but don't want to consider it. You want sheer, raw power and you get that with AMD more than you do with Intel, especially at each price point. Intel is only superior in gaming specifically. Your Intel options really stress your budget because you really want to run at least 16 GB RAM these days.

I'm really glad you got a lot of longevity out of your Q6600, but the landscape is nowhere near what it was when the Q6600 was the budget king. No idea why you think graphics should be photorealistic. Rasterization can't accomplish that which is why Nvidia has been pushing for ray tracing. Traditional rendering methods were never going to get us there.
Ok. So all this is happening real time. I'm learning from you. I just confirmed *IF* I went with intel it would be i9-9900k for two reasons. It pretty much destroys benchmarks and out of i5 and i7 the i9 is the only one with hyperthreading ......which brings me to two points:

9900k means a new mobo for me > which means you are correct. May as well look at AMD as well. If I was much more interested in 3d type stuff / deep fake videos of myself lol, etc..etc.... and producing stuff like that, would you still point me to AMD? (or even more so?) And can you help me understand the hyperthreading thing and how that would help......with anything. ?

Thank's you've been a very big help. Bouncing ideas.

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-06-2020, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Also - I understand I may be flirting with the rules here - but I believe I said previously that I have no problem buying "used" parts. It's electronics. Like a light bulb. It works or it doesn't.

Having said that, I wouldn't have the first clue were to look for a reputable used electronics places that cater to use while not ripping us off either.

Not asking for links if not allowed.

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-06-2020, 05:01 PM
Vandelay Industries

Rep: 85 (Unique: 63)
Your mobo is a 1151 mining board. It only supports ddr4 2400. That said if you want a i9-9900k and a new mobo and some decent ram....that's your choice. Are you gonna be able to get that for <$500 possibly, but it'll take some searching. Is it a wise choice....not really. RDR2 on a 1060.....it wont matter what CPU you have as a $100 cpu will get you the same performance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in