~1.8v VCORE - is this a false reading? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

~1.8v VCORE - is this a false reading?

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-12-2020, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 13)
~1.8v VCORE - is this a false reading?

Hi all,

Last year I switched the e3-1231v3 out of my desktop for a 4790k (Z97), and I've finally got around to buying a cheap server motherboard (Asus P9D-V) to upgrade my project DIY NAS to use the 1231v3.

However, during setup I noticed that BIOS was reporting a VCORE of around ~1.8v. So after checking temps and seeing they were in an expected range, I booted through to Linux and using lm-sensors I found it was also reporting around 1.8v. Using another computer, I threw a quick windows install on an old SSD and put HWMonitor, CPU-Z, and Cinebench R15 onto it. Interestingly, the motherboard voltage sensors in HWMonitor reported a VCORE ~1.8v, but the CPU section reported each core's VID at ~1.02v at idle and ~1.06-1.1v when running Cinebench R15. CPU-Z reports the core voltage identically to HWMonitor's VID.

I seem to remember Haswell having a 1.8v input voltage from the motherboard, before being regulated down to the actual core voltage. I'm inclined to believe that software is incorrectly reporting the CPU input voltage here as VCORE, while HWMonitor and CPU-Z are accurately showing the core voltage. It ran Memtest86+ for 16 hours (for a different reason) before I decided to turn it off and get confirmation of my suspicions.

I have attached some imagesshowing the figures.

So what do you think, is this just a misrepresented sensor reading?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3157.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	353582  

Name:	DSC_3158.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	353584  

Name:	DSC_3161.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	353586  

Name:	DSC_3162.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	353588  

In a topic about someone turning a working PIII-1ghz into a key chain:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptedvick go_quote.gif
my moms PC has a 667mhz P3 ... your keychain is faster :|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-12-2020, 05:36 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 484 (Unique: 329)
I'm thinking the same as you, that 1.8V is probably the input voltage, not Vcore.

The way I remember how Haswell worked is this: on Haswell generation processors the motherboard provides a "V_IN" voltage, not a Vcore voltage. The Vcore is built by the CPU itself out of the VIN voltage. Haswell has internal VRM to do this. The VIN voltage from the motherboard is pretty high. I bet those 1.8V you are looking at is that VIN voltage.

Perhaps check out a different program named "HWINFO". In my experience, HWMonitor was regularly a bit disappointing. It often didn't use good names for sensors. The HWINFO program always could show many more sensors than HWMonitor on all computers I tried it on, and the names were better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in