i9-9900KS + Aorus Master Stock VCORE - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

i9-9900KS + Aorus Master Stock VCORE

post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-13-2020, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
i9-9900KS + Aorus Master Stock VCORE

Hi everyone,

I have a stock 9900KS + Aorus Master Z390 (F10 bios). Right now the only thing I changed is disabling the cstates because it keeps my motherboard from doing coil whine.

I am trying to achieve a stable setup for my 9900KS. No overclock needed but i'm looking for a voltage that won't hurt my cpu in the long term.
Now when i launch HWiNFO64 and just do some desktop tasks, i see that i have a VR OUT at 1.389V which seems really high according to what i have read on forums.

So my questions are :

1/ Is this voltage safe?

2/ If it's not, what are the things i need to do to decrease it? I guess i can't just decrease the CPU Vcore value in the bios. When reading an OC guide, i'm not sure which options i should change and which one i shouldn't change, because in the end i'm not really trying to overclock my cpu, just having a safe setup for daily use.

The voltage settings i have in the bios :

Note that I haven't even OC my ram yet. I prefer to be sure everything is OK with my CPU before touching the RAM.

I'm sorry if these are noob questions but i'm not really good at changing theses settings and the only guides i find are for OC.
That would be really cool if someone could help me with this, i'm kind of stuck and lost with all these informations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-13-2020, 10:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
Quote: Originally Posted by khall View Post
Hi everyone,

I have a stock 9900KS + Aorus Master Z390 (F10 bios). Right now the only thing I changed is disabling the cstates because it keeps my motherboard from doing coil whine.

I am trying to achieve a stable setup for my 9900KS. No overclock needed but i'm looking for a voltage that won't hurt my cpu in the long term.
Now when i launch HWiNFO64 and just do some desktop tasks, i see that i have a VR OUT at 1.389V which seems really high according to what i have read on forums.

So my questions are :

1/ Is this voltage safe?

2/ If it's not, what are the things i need to do to decrease it? I guess i can't just decrease the CPU Vcore value in the bios. When reading an OC guide, i'm not sure which options i should change and which one i shouldn't change, because in the end i'm not really trying to overclock my cpu, just having a safe setup for daily use.

Note that I haven't even OC my ram yet. I prefer to be sure everything is OK with my CPU before touching the RAM.

I'm sorry if these are noob questions but i'm not really good at changing theses settings and the only guides i find are for OC.
That would be really cool if someone could help me with this, i'm kind of stuck and lost with all these informations.
If that's the idle (no load) voltage its fine. If that's your load voltage, I have no idea how you're cooling it.

What matters more is the voltage at load. If you launch Prime 95, OCCT etc you'll see that number dip. How much depends on your LLC setting. On my Asus Maximus XI Gene, I use a BIOS vcore of 1.480v at LLC 5. At 5.3Ghz at idle, the vcore is 1.447v. At load (OCCT Large AVX) this drops to 1.359 to 1.368v. I wouldn't recommend that because its hard to cool. I'm using a direct die, custom loop, lapped die and block.

I use C-states and all of that so if I'm just watching stuff on YouTube etc I'm only at 0.648v at 800mhz.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-13-2020, 10:40 AM
Facepalm

Rep: 455 (Unique: 316)
More excessive autovolting.
While the actual volts used are in Intel spec (you can go up to 1.520v at ZERO AMPS), the bigger issue is that at auto settings, the board applies some unknown value for Loadline Calibration, when LLC should never be used on auto voltages (Instead, the input side 'AC Loadline' handles voltage regulation).

I suggest since that is a 9900KS, trying the following settings:
CPU VRM PWM Switch Rate: 300 khz
CPU Vcore: 1.360v
CPU Vcore Loadline Calibration: High

Or
CPU VRM PWM Switch rate: 300khz
CPU Vcore: 1.30v
CPU Vcore Loadline Calibration: Turbo

Take your pick. Both should give you substantially lower load voltages than what you have now.

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM

Quote: Originally Posted by sakete View Post
Well, I want you to know I have an academic degree in speculation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
If that's the idle (no load) voltage its fine. If that's your load voltage, I have no idea how you're cooling it.

What matters more is the voltage at load. If you launch Prime 95, OCCT etc you'll see that number dip. How much depends on your LLC setting. On my Asus Maximus XI Gene, I use a BIOS vcore of 1.480v at LLC 5. At 5.3Ghz at idle, the vcore is 1.447v. At load (OCCT Large AVX) this drops to 1.359 to 1.368v. I wouldn't recommend that because its hard to cool. I'm using a direct die, custom loop, lapped die and block.

I use C-states and all of that so if I'm just watching stuff on YouTube etc I'm only at 0.648v at 800mhz.

Thanks for your replies !
Yeah it's the idle voltage. On load i have 1.229V. I'm using a Noctua NH-D15.
As a comparison, here is a 5-10 minutes test on Prime95 (Small FFTs)

As you can see it's a bit toasty. If you need to cook something just call me.

Quote: Originally Posted by Falkentyne View Post
More excessive autovolting.
While the actual volts used are in Intel spec (you can go up to 1.520v at ZERO AMPS), the bigger issue is that at auto settings, the board applies some unknown value for Loadline Calibration, when LLC should never be used on auto voltages (Instead, the input side 'AC Loadline' handles voltage regulation).

I suggest since that is a 9900KS, trying the following settings:
CPU VRM PWM Switch Rate: 300 khz
CPU Vcore: 1.360v
CPU Vcore Loadline Calibration: High

Or
CPU VRM PWM Switch rate: 300khz
CPU Vcore: 1.30v
CPU Vcore Loadline Calibration: Turbo

Take your pick. Both should give you substantially lower load voltages than what you have now.

I see.
I updated my bios to F11c before doing anything.
Unfortunately, i don't see any "CPU VRM PWM Switch rate" setting.
However, i have a "CPU Vcore PWM Switch Rate", maybe that's it?

post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 08:18 AM
Facepalm

Rep: 455 (Unique: 316)

I see.

Yes, sorry.

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM

Quote: Originally Posted by sakete View Post
Well, I want you to know I have an academic degree in speculation.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 01:02 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)

I see.
You are likely throttling with those core temps. Falkentyne's advice is spot on.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 01:09 PM
Nvidia Enthusiast

Rep: 270 (Unique: 211)
if its anything like my aorus pro was its massively overvolting. My 9900K runs stock 1.15V stable but my pro was pushing 1.48V for some reason at stock settings. I would manually type in 1.200V and set LLC to turbo and see if its stable, if not try 1.21V and try again. Keep trying till its stable.

Also check your VCCIO and System Agent voltage, my asus board was pushing 1.41V into the system agent for no reason at all. Im not sure what my aorus pro was feeding it but likely it was even higher. After dropping System Agent voltage to 1.2 and VCCIO to 1.15V i shaved off, not joking here 28C on load temps... so check to see what your VCCIO and System Agent voltages are.

gaming rig
(18 items)
CPU
Intel Core i9 9900K 5GHz 1.25V
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus XI Hero
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid
RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3600MHz 32GB
Hard Drive
HGST 2TB
Hard Drive
Seagate 2.5 Inch 2TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Intel 660p NVME 512GB
Optical Drive
LG Blu Ray drive
Power Supply
Corsair RM850i 850W
Cooling
EVGA CLC 360MM Corsair LL120
Case
Corsair Graphite 780T White
Operating System
windows 10 Pro
Monitor
MSI OPTIX MAG24C
Monitor
Acer XFA240 bmjdpr
Keyboard
G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780 MX
Mouse
Razer Deathadder Elite
Audio
Sound Blaster Z
▲ hide details ▲
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

So I started with the second option (300 khz / 1.30v / Turbo)
On idle I was at 1.293V for VR OUT :

However, as soon as I started Small FFTs I've got a blue screen.

I tried the other option (300 khz / 1.360v / High)
On idle 1.342V :

5-10 minutes of Small FFTs 1.213V :

I didn't hit the 100°C mark this time. However, one thread was never at 100%, not sure if this is normal.

Quote: Originally Posted by philhalo66 View Post
if its anything like my aorus pro was its massively overvolting. My 9900K runs stock 1.15V stable but my pro was pushing 1.48V for some reason at stock settings. I would manually type in 1.200V and set LLC to turbo and see if its stable, if not try 1.21V and try again. Keep trying till its stable.

Also check your VCCIO and System Agent voltage, my asus board was pushing 1.41V into the system agent for no reason at all. Im not sure what my aorus pro was feeding it but likely it was even higher. After dropping System Agent voltage to 1.2 and VCCIO to 1.15V i shaved off, not joking here 28C on load temps... so check to see what your VCCIO and System Agent voltages are.

Unfortunately it seems mine was not stable even at 1.30V according to the first test

VCCIO seems to be at 0.946V and VCCSA at 1.044V according to HWiNFO64 (that's the correct lines to check right?).
Should i change them now? I'm planning to activate xmp or overclock manually my ram after the CPU is stable, so i will probably have to change them later right?

Anyway thanks for your help everyone.
So i'm not sure if the records seems ok to you. Should i proceed to a longer "Small FFTs" or there is something fishy ?
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 11:13 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Is that with AVX2 enabled or disabled?

What version of Prime95 are you using?
Version 29.8 build 6 is the latest and this should be used.
It has the option to disable AVX2 and AVX1 via mouse click now before starting any test.

Intel 9900KS + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut + Kraken X62 AIO @ 2x140mm (~1800RPM) front push
Aorus Master @ BIOS F11e + Seasonic Prime Titanium 1000w PSU
G.Skill Ripjaws 4x16GB DDR4 | 3200Mhz @ [email protected]6v (F4-3200C14Q-64GVK)
Phanteks Eclipse P600S | front lid half-open | top lid closed
Fans 1x140mm (~1200RPM) front intake | 2x140mm top exhaust (silent ~600RPM) | 1x140mm (silent ~700RPM) back exhaust
ALL fans RPMs (including Kraken X62's) are stated during maximum load.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 11:17 AM
Not New to Overclock.net

Rep: 79 (Unique: 60)

So I started with the second option (300 khz / 1.30v / Turbo)
On idle I was at 1.293V for VR OUT :

I tried the other option (300 khz / 1.360v / High)
On idle 1.342V :

5-10 minutes of Small FFTs 1.213V :

I didn't hit the 100°C mark this time. However, one thread was never at 100%, not sure if this is normal.

Quote: Originally Posted by philhalo66 View Post

Unfortunately it seems mine was not stable even at 1.30V according to the first test [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/IMG]

VCCIO seems to be at 0.946V and VCCSA at 1.044V according to HWiNFO64 (that's the correct lines to check right?).
Should i change them now? I'm planning to activate xmp or overclock manually my ram after the CPU is stable, so i will probably have to change them later right?

Anyway thanks for your help everyone.
So i'm not sure if the records seems ok to you. Should i proceed to a longer "Small FFTs" or there is something fishy ?
Small fft. Disable avx/avx2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in