Has my brand new, boxed 10900k been binned? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Has my brand new, boxed 10900k been binned?

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Has my brand new, boxed 10900k been binned?

Hi All,

I finally got my hands on I9 10900k from a reputable European retailer (Proshop). Unfortunately, one of the seals on the box is detached. Also, there are only two seals on the outer box, nothing inside like there used to be on 9900k.

Also, there are rectangular marks on the heat spreader - please see the attached photos. In reality they are darker and more prominent. Initially, I thought it was a thermal compound but they can't easily be removed.

Do you think this CPU was binned and tested without locking the socket with just a heat sink placed on top of it? Does anyone with a 10900k remember what their cpu looked like?

I would have said 'yes, it had been used before it was sold to me' BUT:

1. I recall the seals on my 9900k and 9900ks were really poor and came off easily.
2. Both 9900k and 9900ks had similar light, rectangular marks on the heat spreader. I believe I have read somewhere that this is the result of a manufacturing process - marks left by a kind of a suction cup that transports CPUs on the assembly line.

Yet, on this particular CPU, the marks are really visible, so I have doubts.

I also took a photo of the pin pads, I believe you can also tell from these if the CPU has been tampered with, though I don't know what I should be looking at.

Can someone please help and share their thoughts? I do not fancy returning the CPU and then waiting weeks or months for another one.

Thanks a lot in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Seal.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	357348  

Name:	10900k 2.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	357352  

Name:	10900k 3.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	357354  

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 11:33 AM
Facepalm

Rep: 457 (Unique: 317)
Quote: Originally Posted by Majek View Post
Hi All,

I finally got my hands on I9 10900k from a reputable European retailer (Proshop). Unfortunately, one of the seals on the box is detached. Also, there are only two seals on the outer box, nothing inside like there used to be on 9900k.

Also, there are rectangular marks on the heat spreader - please see the attached photos. In reality they are darker and more prominent. Initially, I thought it was a thermal compound but they can't easily be removed.

Do you think this CPU was binned and tested without locking the socket with just a heat sink placed on top of it? Does anyone with a 10900k remember what their cpu looked like?

I would have said 'yes, it had been used before it was sold to me' BUT:

1. I recall the seals on my 9900k and 9900ks were really poor and came off easily.
2. Both 9900k and 9900ks had similar light, rectangular marks on the heat spreader. I believe I have read somewhere that this is the result of a manufacturing process - marks left by a kind of a suction cup that transports CPUs on the assembly line.

Yet, on this particular CPU, the marks are really visible, so I have doubts.

I also took a photo of the pin pads, I believe you can also tell from these if the CPU has been tampered with, though I don't know what I should be looking at.

Can someone please help and share their thoughts? I do not fancy returning the CPU and then waiting weeks or months for another one.

Thanks a lot in advance!
Marks are from the chip/IHS being tested by Intel before being packaged. Been discussed for years.
Now if you had thermal paste residue on it....that's a different story.

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM

Quote: Originally Posted by sakete View Post
Well, I want you to know I have an academic degree in speculation.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Falkentyne View Post
Marks are from the chip/IHS being tested by Intel before being packaged. Been discussed for years.
Now if you had thermal paste residue on it....that's a different story.
Hi Falkentyne,

Thank you for the quick reply, as always. I must have remembered the reasons for the marks on the ihs incorrectly then. It seems the CPU is ok since my 9th gen cpus had flimsy seals too...

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 04:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Hi Falkentyne,

Thank you for the quick reply, as always. I must have remembered the reasons for the marks on the ihs incorrectly then. It seems the CPU is ok since my 9th gen cpus had flimsy seals too...

Thanks!
The seals are pretty bad. I ordered two 10900k's the day the 2nd batch came to Sweden and both had loose seals. Same markings too. Pictures of loose seals:

https://imgur.com/TJ9pauj
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Yesil View Post
The seals are pretty bad. I ordered two 10900k's the day the 2nd batch came to Sweden and both had loose seals. Same markings too. Pictures of loose seals:

https://imgur.com/TJ9pauj
Thank you for confirming! Exactly. It defeats the whole purpose of using these seals when they come off by themselves.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 01:37 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 12 (Unique: 10)
I've had 2 10900K from Newegg and neither had the flimsy seal nor any markings on the CPU. My 3rd 10900K came from OC UK before the price hike and it had the exact same marking on the CPU that could not be removed even with Isopropyl and the seal was flimsy on both sides with one actually detached when I pulled it out of the shipment box. OC UK is a very reputable company, but it still left me with a feeling that the CPU could have been possibly opened, tested without clamping and then repackaging. While this likely didn't happen, it would be nice if Intel would do a better job packaging their products to ensure tamper proof factory seals.

This is even more of a concern with Asus new SP # being somewhat accurate indicator of overall silicon quality. You could easily open it, put the CPU into the bracket and just enough pressure ontop from a heastink to check the SP to bin it and then either keep or repackage it.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Talon2016 View Post
I've had 2 10900K from Newegg and neither had the flimsy seal nor any markings on the CPU. My 3rd 10900K came from OC UK before the price hike and it had the exact same marking on the CPU that could not be removed even with Isopropyl and the seal was flimsy on both sides with one actually detached when I pulled it out of the shipment box. OC UK is a very reputable company, but it still left me with a feeling that the CPU could have been possibly opened, tested without clamping and then repackaging. While this likely didn't happen, it would be nice if Intel would do a better job packaging their products to ensure tamper proof factory seals.

This is even more of a concern with Asus new SP # being somewhat accurate indicator of overall silicon quality. You could easily open it, put the CPU into the bracket and just enough pressure ontop from a heastink to check the SP to bin it and then either keep or repackage it.
If Intel is testing CPUs before packaging, I wonder why some have the marks on the IHS and others don't. Different QC lines?

Also, I am now pretty sure that my CPU has been used, so probably binned. I looked at the photos I took before putting the CPU in the socket and now I can see that there are small indentations on the pin pads where the pins made contact with them - see attached.

I assume this means it must have been used? Or could these be from the Intel factory testing and can be present on a brand new CPU?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pin pads.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	358292  

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 12:37 PM
Facepalm

Rep: 457 (Unique: 317)
If Intel is testing CPUs before packaging, I wonder why some have the marks on the IHS and others don't. Different QC lines?

Also, I am now pretty sure that my CPU has been used, so probably binned. I looked at the photos I took before putting the CPU in the socket and now I can see that there are small indentations on the pin pads where the pins made contact with them - see attached.

I assume this means it must have been used? Or could these be from the Intel factory testing and can be present on a brand new CPU?
Yes they can be present on a new CPU. They have to be tested somehow to make sure all voltages, ground, DDR and PCIE are in spec. How else would you test them?
I'm almost 100% sure either my 2600k or QX9650 had marks like this.

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM

Quote: Originally Posted by sakete View Post
Well, I want you to know I have an academic degree in speculation.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 12:54 PM
ٴٴٴ╲⎝⧹˙͜>˙⧸⎠╱

Rep: 165 (Unique: 128)

testing is partially done by hand no? probably variation on how someone mounts

nͫٴiͤٴcͫٴeͤ੮Һ૯ ცɿ૭ ૭คעٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ ٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ ٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ ٴٴ
█▀█ █▄█ ▀█▀ ▀█▀
PC 1
(6 items)
CPU
Ryzen 9 3950X 1900FCLK
Motherboard
Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi
RAM
B-die 2x16 3800MHz F4-3600C16D-32GTZN
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro 512GB
Power Supply
EVGA 750G2
Cooling
NH D15
▲ hide details ▲

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

@Falkentyne and TK421.
Thank you for the replies. This makes sense.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in