New to Overclock.net

Rep: 709 (Unique: 566)
Quote: Originally Posted by iARDAs View Post
So ok guys you will hate me for sure.

But I got myself a Corsair 465X case

3700X AMD CPU

and an Asus X570-F Gaming MOBO.

Wish me luck.

It has been 4 years since I built a system from scratch, I hope I can do it.
Disable SMT and overclock it.

1080 will be fine.
It's a beast card. I have a 1080Ti, and it kicks absolute ass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 01:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 207 (Unique: 179)
Quote: Originally Posted by chessmyantidrug View Post
Both the PS4 and Xbox One already have 8-core CPUs. I don't expect the PS5 and Xbox Series X having 8-core CPUs to mean anything for gaming that it hasn't already meant for almost the last decade.
Hm, I personally have a bit of a different view on that, but it's beyond my area of expertise, so my view is little more than speculation.

You're right that consoles have had that many cores for some time (just under 7 years if we're going by the launch of the Xbox One and PlayStation 4). Despite that, those CPUs didn't otherwise match PC CPUs of the time (more so for Intel, like Sandy Bridge for example). The IPC might be hard to directly compare, but consensus was they were weaker, and they were definitely clocked much lower. I think this is partly what helped PCs with less cores manage during the time. The gap isn't going to be anywhere as big this time though, and I think that's actually going to be a big factor.

The other considerations are that PC hardware beyond four cores really didn't exist back then, at least en masse, and what did was basically expensive HEDT parts on Intel's side, or weaker pre-Ryzen AMD offerings. Considering the mid range parts from the last few years to mostly be 6 core parts minimum, I wouldn't be surprised to see many games a few years from now not playing so well with quad core CPUs, nor to see some of them showing benefits on 12+ threads (even if they still play well enough on 6 core CPUs, and sometimes even quad cores which have SMT).

And even with all that being the case, there were already some infamous examples years and years back (like Battlefield) that I recall being talked about as benefiting a lot from the extra threads of the Core i7 over the same core count Core i5 of the time, even if other games didn't miss much of a beat. So, there could always be a couple of big name outliers. Isn't Death Stranding scaling pretty well too?

I'm not predicting 6 core CPUs will soon be obsolete, or that 8 core CPUs are going to be mandatory half a year or something beyond the new console launches. I do, however, expect the consoles to do more than nothing in moving things forward, and I personally see something like a 6 core/12 thread CPU as an "ideal minimum" to aim for, with more not being excessive to consider. If you're already on a 6 core CPU, it's fine to sit with it, but you'll probably want to be off quad cores (especially non SMT ones like older Core i5s, but maybe even ones with Hyper-threading) by then in my opinion.

Of course this is all how I'm choosing to see it, by erring on the side of caution, so perhaps my speculation does end up being a bit of an overshot. Only time will tell though.

"The heart has it's reasons that reason knows nothing of."
post #53 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 10:02 PM
Avid Memer

Rep: 246 (Unique: 182)
People should be moving on from 4C/4T CPUs already. They should have moved on when Zen released. There's literally no reason to have one these days with Comet Lake bringing hyper-threading to Intel's entire lineup. Budget gamers have the R5 1600 AF and R3 3300X as very good options. Developers are going to want as many people to be able to play their games as possible so games are still going to be able to run just fine on 4C/8T CPUs. More cores will be better, but these consoles aren't going to change anything other than how easy it will be to port games.

ITX gaming system
(17 items)
CPU
i9-9900KF
Motherboard
ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX/AC
GPU
EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black Gaming
RAM
Crucial Ballistix
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro
Hard Drive
Seagate FireCuda
Power Supply
Seasonic FOCUS SGX
Cooling
Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Case
SilverStone FTZ01-E
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
BenQ XL2420Z
Monitor
BenQ RL2455HM
Keyboard
Deck Legend Fire
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 500
Mousepad
HyperX Fury S Cloud9 Edition
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 05:12 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 207 (Unique: 179)
Hm, quite possibly just just my perspective then, coming from someone who likes to stick with something longer and upgrade less often. The quad core CPUs with Hyper-threading can manage fine, yes (even my non-SMT Core i5 kept proving me wrong, to the point my upgrade was necessitated sooner by 16 GB RAM not being enough, but the CPU was clearly nearing its end too). I do, however, feel a 6 core CPU would be a good minimum I'd strive for (exceptions always, of course), and that 8 core CPUs are likely safer for longevity purposes.

And yeah, games aren't going to necessitate 8 core CPUs following the console releases; agree with you there, but we've also seen in the past far too many examples of games that just that just show clear bias towards CPUs far above average (referring to core count). Grand Theft Auto IV (dual cores were the common and I recall quad cores alleviating SOME of it's bad performance) and Battlefield (quad cores were common, SMT Core i7s less so but I remember the fuss that they showed clear improvement) come to mind as some examples. Higher core/thread count CPUs tend to deal better with frame times when CPUs near the limit may otherwise still manage (SMT enabled quad cores might not yet be at this point by and large, but I do think it will start shifting more that way sooner rather than later as non SMT quad cores more or less have even if they otherwise still manage much of the time).

"The heart has it's reasons that reason knows nothing of."
post #55 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 11:03 AM
Avid Memer

Rep: 246 (Unique: 182)
I'm not saying core count won't matter. I'm saying consoles adding cores won't make a meaningful difference in PC gaming. I will always recommend at least 6C/12T because it's going to fit any budget besides entry-level budget gaming systems, but those people who have to settle for a 4C/8T CPU will still have an acceptable gaming experience.

ITX gaming system
(17 items)
CPU
i9-9900KF
Motherboard
ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX/AC
GPU
EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black Gaming
RAM
Crucial Ballistix
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro
Hard Drive
Seagate FireCuda
Power Supply
Seasonic FOCUS SGX
Cooling
Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Case
SilverStone FTZ01-E
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
BenQ XL2420Z
Monitor
BenQ RL2455HM
Keyboard
Deck Legend Fire
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 500
Mousepad
HyperX Fury S Cloud9 Edition
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in