Is my new i9 10900K actually locked or defective or something? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Is my new i9 10900K actually locked or defective or something?

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Is my new i9 10900K actually locked or defective or something?

Hello folks,

I'm new here, but certainly no stranger to overclocking CPUs as I've been doing it since the mid 1990s.

So, I recently built up a brand new Intel i9 based gaming computer and have run into a very odd issue.

I chose the i9 10900K X-series processor to be sure it was an unlocked one that I could do some overclocking with. This is a miniITX build, so I chose the popular ASRock mini-ITX board H470M-ITX/ac for my motherboard.

The build went smoothly and it runs great and all, however even though this board and CPU are designed to be overclockable, and the BIOS even has an "OC Tweaking" section, there are absolutely no options to overclock anything, no CPU ratio multiplier options or anything!

This board uses the ASRock UEFI BIOS interface and it normally would have lots of options for CPU/Memory frequency/voltage settings. Of course I did lots of Googling before deciding to post on here, but I couldn't find anything on this issue as others don't seem to have this issue. I even found some videos of people instructing on how to OC on this board and they have all the OC options they need and are not present in my BIOS options.

Naturally, I then updated the BIOS to the current version to make sure it wasn't a version issue or something like that and did so successfully, but still no OC options exist!

So, then in desperation, I decided to try software overclocking; which is not something I prefer to do, but then found that even that is not possible as even programs like XTU have no overclocking options at all, everything is grayed out and it has a message at the top saying that my system does not support overclocking and suggests buying a "K" X-series processor, which obviously is what I already have, so that message makes no sense whatsoever.

So, at this point I'm simply baffled and have no clue why everything is acting like I have a locked down processor, which obviously is not the case.

Any help and or suggestions I could get on this perplexing situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
-Gamester42
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 10:12 AM
Facepalm

Rep: 465 (Unique: 322)
Quote: Originally Posted by Gamester42 View Post
Hello folks,

I'm new here, but certainly no stranger to overclocking CPUs as I've been doing it since the mid 1990s.

So, I recently built up a brand new Intel i9 based gaming computer and have run into a very odd issue.

I chose the i9 10900K X-series processor to be sure it was an unlocked one that I could do some overclocking with. This is a miniITX build, so I chose the popular ASRock mini-ITX board H470M-ITX/ac for my motherboard.

The build went smoothly and it runs great and all, however even though this board and CPU are designed to be overclockable, and the BIOS even has an "OC Tweaking" section, there are absolutely no options to overclock anything, no CPU ratio multiplier options or anything!

This board uses the ASRock UEFI BIOS interface and it normally would have lots of options for CPU/Memory frequency/voltage settings. Of course I did lots of Googling before deciding to post on here, but I couldn't find anything on this issue as others don't seem to have this issue. I even found some videos of people instructing on how to OC on this board and they have all the OC options they need and are not present in my BIOS options.

Naturally, I then updated the BIOS to the current version to make sure it wasn't a version issue or something like that and did so successfully, but still no OC options exist!

So, then in desperation, I decided to try software overclocking; which is not something I prefer to do, but then found that even that is not possible as even programs like XTU have no overclocking options at all, everything is grayed out and it has a message at the top saying that my system does not support overclocking and suggests buying a "K" X-series processor, which obviously is what I already have, so that message makes no sense whatsoever.

So, at this point I'm simply baffled and have no clue why everything is acting like I have a locked down processor, which obviously is not the case.

Any help and or suggestions I could get on this perplexing situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
-Gamester42
You should have done your research before buying a worthless piece of crap motherboard.
Only Z series boards are overclockable. And Asrock is horrible this round also. You want a Z490 motherboard. And there is no such thing as an X-series consumer processor. X series are for HEDT.
If you want a good mini ITX Z490 motherboard, buy the MSI "Z490I" Unify https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MEG-Z490I-UNIFY

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM

Quote: Originally Posted by sakete View Post
Well, I want you to know I have an academic degree in speculation.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 10:13 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 3)
You need a Z-series motherboard to overclock with multiplier

Lian-Li O11 Dynamic
(16 items)
CPU
I9 10900K
Motherboard
Asus Maximus XII Apex
GPU
Palit Gamingpro OC RTX 2080 [email protected]
RAM
G.Skill [email protected]
Hard Drive
Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB
Power Supply
Corsair HX1000
Cooling
EKWB CPU + GPU
Case
Lian-Li O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 8.1 Pro
Operating System
Windows 10 1709
Monitor
HP OMEN X 27
Monitor
Asus ROG SWIFT 279Q
Keyboard
Varmilo VA88M
Mouse
Finalmouse Ultralight 2
Mousepad
Zowie G-SR
Audio
AKG Q701
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Falkentyne View Post
You should have done your research before buying a worthless piece of crap motherboard.
Only Z series boards are overclockable. And Asrock is horrible this round also. You want a Z490 motherboard. And there is no such thing as an X-series consumer processor. X series are for HEDT.
If you want a good mini ITX Z490 motherboard, buy the MSI "Z490I" Unify https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MEG-Z490I-UNIFY
Wow, really? I did do some research prior and it sounded like a good board and noticed that CyberPower uses it for most of their small mini-ITX builds.

Still though, this board does support OC normally, so I still think something is odd here.

Thanks for that feedback though and I would still be open to any feedback on things I could try on this board before making any hardware changes.

Thanks much
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 10:22 AM
9 Cans of Ravioli

Rep: 1461 (Unique: 735)
lol, there's no feedback to give and nothing to try. if you want to OC you need a Z series chipset.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1200

the only thing you can do is increase the boost duration, which isn't OCing, it's just letting the CPU boost for longer.

Intel i9 9900K Coffee Lake @ X8 5309mhz (+47.5%)
AMD FX-8320 Vishera @ X4 5022mhz (+43.5%)
Intel i5 4690K Haswell @ X4 5013mhz (+43.2%)
AMD X4 960T Zosma @ X6 4870mhz (+62.3%)
Intel i7 6700 Skylake @ X4 4709mhz (+38.5%)
Intel i5 6400 Skylake @ X4 4588mhz (+69.9%)
2 OP pls nerf
(24 items)
NUC U
(9 items)
CPU
i9 9900K
Motherboard
AsRock Z390 Taichi
GPU
MSI GTX 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill DDR4 4133 32GB
Hard Drive
XPG SX8200 Pro NVMe 2TB
Hard Drive
HP EX950 NVMe 2TB
Hard Drive
2x Samsung 860 1TB RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue 4TB SSD
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750w
Cooling
Corsair H115i Pro
Cooling
Raijintek Morpheus II
Case
Fractal Design Meshify S2
Operating System
Windows 10 Education x64
Monitor
Acer XF270HU 27" 1440p
Monitor
LG 24UD58 24" 4K
Keyboard
CoolerMaster MK730 (MX Blue)
Mouse
Glorious Model D
Mousepad
X-Ray 27" x 14"
Audio
Klipsch PowerGate
Audio
Schiit Hel
Audio
Micca RB42
Audio
Philips Fidelio X2
Audio
Philips SHP9500S
Audio
Audio Technica ATH-M50X
CPU
i3 8109U
Motherboard
Intel NUC8i3BEH
GPU
Iris Plus 655
RAM
Kingston DDR4 2400 16GB
Hard Drive
Mushkin Pilot NVMe 1TB
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra II 480GB
Operating System
Windows 10 Professional
Keyboard
Dierya DK63 60% (Outemu Blue)
Mouse
Logitech G603
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by The Pook; 07-30-2020 at 10:26 AM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Ok, I get the drift here and really appreciate the so prompt responses from you good folks.

The main reason I built up this new computer was for heavy gaming and emulation, so I just wanted to get the most out of the processor. However, after turning on the few performance options that do exist on this board's BIOS, it does run around 5.0Ghz and at times gets up to about 5.3Ghz under load now, which is good and may be enough without overclocking actually. I won't be able to fully test it with gaming until my GPU comes in a couple days though.

I suppose I will do some extensive testing with these settings and see if it can run what I need it to and if not, then I can get a better board if needed at that point.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction kind folks
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 11:27 AM
Facepalm

Rep: 465 (Unique: 322)
Ok, I get the drift here and really appreciate the so prompt responses from you good folks.

The main reason I built up this new computer was for heavy gaming and emulation, so I just wanted to get the most out of the processor. However, after turning on the few performance options that do exist on this board's BIOS, it does run around 5.0Ghz and at times gets up to about 5.3Ghz under load now, which is good and may be enough without overclocking actually. I won't be able to fully test it with gaming until my GPU comes in a couple days though.

I suppose I will do some extensive testing with these settings and see if it can run what I need it to and if not, then I can get a better board if needed at that point.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction kind folks
You've had the board less than a month, right?
Just RMA it and explain it was a mistake and that you want to swap for a Z490I Unify.
Most companies will let you do that if you explain that you made a mistake and you do it politely. People can be very prone to persuasion if you do it discreetly.

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM

Quote: Originally Posted by sakete View Post
Well, I want you to know I have an academic degree in speculation.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Falkentyne View Post
You've had the board less than a month, right?
Just RMA it and explain it was a mistake and that you want to swap for a Z490I Unify.
Most companies will let you do that if you explain that you made a mistake and you do it politely. People can be very prone to persuasion if you do it discreetly.
Yeah, I'll go that route if I need to.

Thanks again everyone.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Well, I spent several hours last night doing some extensive testing with my current not so great ASRock board and it's really close to perform at the level I need it too, but not quite; so, I went ahead and ordered me a MSI MEG Z490I Unify board as I noticed that with my current board, certain apps, like my video editors, will push CPU to to my target 5.3Ghz, which is good; but maxes out at only 4.8Ghz when under heavy gaming/emulating for some reason, so I want to be able to just set it at 5.3GHz all the time, or maybe even a bit more since I have a good cooling setup :-)

A further justification to get the MSI board is that my memory is actually capable of 4000Mhz and is currently stuck on a max of 2933Mhz on this ASRock board. From the link that @Falkentyne sent me, the Z490I Unify should allow for the full 4000MHz memory wise too, correct?...

Thanks
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 11:52 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 12 (Unique: 10)
Well, I spent several hours last night doing some extensive testing with my current not so great ASRock board and it's really close to perform at the level I need it too, but not quite; so, I went ahead and ordered me a MSI MEG Z490I Unify board as I noticed that with my current board, certain apps, like my video editors, will push CPU to to my target 5.3Ghz, which is good; but maxes out at only 4.8Ghz when under heavy gaming/emulating for some reason, so I want to be able to just set it at 5.3GHz all the time, or maybe even a bit more since I have a good cooling setup :-)

A further justification to get the MSI board is that my memory is actually capable of 4000Mhz and is currently stuck on a max of 2933Mhz on this ASRock board. From the link that @Falkentyne sent me, the Z490I Unify should allow for the full 4000MHz memory wise too, correct?...

Thanks
Yes you will be able to run XMP, or manually overclock and tweak the memory with that very good Z board.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in