Worthwhile gaming gains to go from i7 8700K to i9 10900K? Solved: Upgraded - Page 6 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Worthwhile gaming gains to go from i7 8700K to i9 10900K? Solved: Upgraded

post #51 of 99 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
not unless you're trying to push the utter boundaries of gaming via VR or 4K
For VR, definite yes.

Quote: Originally Posted by wingman99 View Post
Looks like a good upgrade. I'm thinking of upgrading I just can't just-fie spending any money since my processor over-clocks to 5.0 GHz.
Yeah mine will barely touch 4.8, and even throws a hissy fit doing it.

Quote: Originally Posted by XGS-Duplicity View Post
Get a 10900k
I did

Quote: Originally Posted by munternet View Post
My 8700k and Hero X was just fine
My 9900ks and Gene XI was just fine
My 10900k and Apex XII is just fine

I think I have an illness
Hahaha, you're even worse than me.

Quote: Originally Posted by chessmyantidrug View Post
AMD isn't trying to raise prices at all. They're still offering the same core and thread counts at far less than Intel. The new XT processors didn't change pricing at all. They just came in at existing price points AMD already had, but the CPUs they had at those price points have been discounted for almost a year. Zen, Zen+, and Zen 2 have all occupied the same price points. I expect Zen 3 to come in at the exact same price points customers have been conditioned to expect.
If AMD had the same, or better, single core performance and gaming performance in general, as the comparable Intel offerings, I'd buy AMD in a heartbeat. Alas, they still don't.

Quote: Originally Posted by Betroz View Post
The best 120mm fan you can get is this : https://prisguiden.no/produkt/noctua...x25-pwm-361876
140mm case fan : https://www.komplett.no/product/9186...wm-140mm-vifte

You do know that the Obsidian 1000D case is not only overkill, it is for people with big custom watercooling builds, and NOT aircooling like you have. So I highly urge you to reconsider your order. Good airflow in a case is important, and the Phanteks P500A and Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh are at the top of the charts in this regard. (https://kl.ink/Phanteks-Eclipse-P500A-D-RGB-svart) Fractal Design Define 7 XL - Black Solid is another option, but it has not got as good thermal performance - but is bigger. Your choice, but please take what I have said into consideration
I wanted to get Noctua fans, but Komplett had absolutely nothing in stock. Ended up buying RGB PWM fans since that's really what the case is designed for.

Yeah I know it's built for those kind of systems. I watched several videos and read several reviews before deciding. I might build a second PC in the case at some point, since it supports up to an E-ATX + mITX config at the same time. I've kept my current case for over 10 years; I'm sure I'll keep the 1000D for at least that long. I have the space for it and I like the look of it. Besides, the 1000D supports the most amount of fans of any case ever, from what I have seen. That means I can run many fans at low speeds to keep temps and noise levels low, instead of a few fans at high speeds.

Quote: Originally Posted by XGS-Duplicity View Post
I second what Betroz said, cancel the giant obsidian1000D case, get a cheaper case, and maybe put the extra money saved from the case into a better motherboard like the asus extreme, or if you really like memory OC, an apex. isn't that obsidian1000d for 2 system builds? Or am i confusing that with another case?
There is no other case I like, except the equally huge Phanteks Enthoo Elite Extreme Case. They sadly didn't have that in stock
Yes, the 1000D can accomodate 2 builds at once. Which I very well might do, just for the hell of it. Means I could have a separate PC for watching videos and shows while playing slow paced games on the main PC, and not have to use a laptop for that.

Desktop
(19 items)
CPU
i9 10900K
Motherboard
Asus ROG Maximus XII Hero
GPU
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Gaming OC
RAM
32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 4000MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD
Hard Drive
Corsair Neutron 1TB SSD
Hard Drive
WD Black 6TB
Hard Drive
WD Black 1TB
Optical Drive
ASUS DVD Writer ZenDrive U9M Silver
Power Supply
Corsair HX 750W
Cooling
Noctua NH-D14
Case
Corsair Obsidian 1000D Super Tower Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise
Monitor
Asus 27" G-Sync Rog Swift PG279Q
Monitor
Asus VG248QE 144hz 3D
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe MK.2 RGB MX Red
Mouse
Logitech G502 Hero
Audio
Sound Blaster Zx
Other
Dali Zensor 3 speakers, Yamaha RX-V659 7.1 receiver
CPU
i7 9750H
GPU
RTX 2080 (full powered)
RAM
32GB DDR4 2666MHz
Hard Drive
2x 512GB WD M.2 NVMe
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 860 QVO SSD
Monitor
17,3" G-Sync 144hz IPS
Keyboard
Logitech G613 wireless mechanical
Mouse
Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
Audio
5.1 built in surround speakers
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 99 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 03:16 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
Besides, the 1000D supports the most amount of fans of any case ever, from what I have seen. That means I can run many fans at low speeds to keep temps and noise levels low, instead of a few fans at high speeds.

There is no other case I like, except the equally huge Phanteks Enthoo Elite Extreme Case. They sadly didn't have that in stock
Yes, the 1000D can accomodate 2 builds at once. Which I very well might do, just for the hell of it. Means I could have a separate PC for watching videos and shows while playing slow paced games on the main PC, and not have to use a laptop for that.
Sure if you like the 1000D that much, get it. Just be aware that just because you can fit x-number of fans in it, doesn't mean the thermal performance will be great. As I said, it is a watercooling case...
And why only shop at Komplett? Why limit yourself like that

Ohh one other thing, you will need to control those Corsair ML fans as they get very loud.

Phanteks Eclipse P500A | Corsair AX860 | i9 10900K | Liquid Freezer II 360 | Asus Maximus XII Apex | Asus Strix OC 2080 Ti | 16GB Patriot Viper Steel 4400 C19 @ tweaked| Two Adata SX8200 PRO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 2TB | BenQ BL3201PT | Asus PG279Q

Last edited by Betroz; 08-02-2020 at 03:19 AM.
post #53 of 99 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 04:50 AM
Not New to Overclock.net

Rep: 83 (Unique: 62)
ppl making silly assumptions on extreme.
it clocks 2dimm as well as apex

why u dont see it. cause ppl who buy extreme clocks 4dimm.

if u want to see what m12e can do go visit safedisk fb.
as for hero clocking on 4dimm.. theres none so far 4133 screenshots.

Last edited by cstkl1; 08-02-2020 at 04:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 99 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 06:00 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by cstkl1 View Post

The point being that the price of the M12E is too high. If U want a 4 DIMM board that OC well, get the XII Formula.

Phanteks Eclipse P500A | Corsair AX860 | i9 10900K | Liquid Freezer II 360 | Asus Maximus XII Apex | Asus Strix OC 2080 Ti | 16GB Patriot Viper Steel 4400 C19 @ tweaked| Two Adata SX8200 PRO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 2TB | BenQ BL3201PT | Asus PG279Q
post #55 of 99 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 06:20 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 142 (Unique: 62)
The point being that the price of the M12E is too high. If U want a 4 DIMM board that OC well, get the XII Formula.
True story.

AMD systems: 1950x - 1800x - 3900x
Intel systems: 7980xe - 10900k - 9900k
Storage: 3xOptane 900p 480GB - 4x Adata sx8200pro 1TB - Areca Raid-6 144TB- 4x samsung 850pro raid-0- 3x sm961 nvme 1TB
MB's : Asrock x399 pro - Asorck Taichi x370 - Asrock x570 Taichi - Apex x299 - Apex z490- Apex z390
post #56 of 99 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 06:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 142 (Unique: 62)
Quote: Originally Posted by cstkl1 View Post

We are using X299 Apex for extreme clocks 4dimm LOL

AMD systems: 1950x - 1800x - 3900x
Intel systems: 7980xe - 10900k - 9900k
Storage: 3xOptane 900p 480GB - 4x Adata sx8200pro 1TB - Areca Raid-6 144TB- 4x samsung 850pro raid-0- 3x sm961 nvme 1TB
MB's : Asrock x399 pro - Asorck Taichi x370 - Asrock x570 Taichi - Apex x299 - Apex z490- Apex z390
post #57 of 99 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Sure if you like the 1000D that much, get it. Just be aware that just because you can fit x-number of fans in it, doesn't mean the thermal performance will be great. As I said, it is a watercooling case...
And why only shop at Komplett? Why limit yourself like that

Ohh one other thing, you will need to control those Corsair ML fans as they get very loud.
My current case is exactly the same - designed with water cooling in mind. Thermal performance has been great ever since I got it - with 80% of the time being on air cooling only. And my current case is almost as big as the 1000D. We're talking 10cm higher, perhaps a little wider. I like big cases; they are easy to work with.

I don't limit myself to Komplett. I bought the CPU on NetOnNet, and I pretty much buy stuff where they are cheapest, usually (as long as the store is well known and has a good reputation). I only liked one other case, and that was the 10 000 NOK Phanteks, but I didn't like it enough to spend 4000 NOK extra on it. That said, I prefer shopping on Komplett, since I'm a hair away from becoming a "VIP" customer there, which will save me some money down the road (Komplett Club, has some moderately decent rewards).

Yes, the case comes with a Corsair Commander unit which all fans can be connected to. Since the fans are PWM, they can easily be controlled via Corsair iCue software, which I use right now anyway for my Corsair keyboard. I never, ever buy case fans where I can't control the speed. Most of my fans now are DC, and setting up custom fan curves in the BIOS is super easy too. Been doing that for years.

Was going to buy Noctua fans, like I said, but I found nothing in stock. Since I was buying stuff from Komplett anyway (the mobo and case), I didn't want to buy a few paltry fans from yet another store and divide up the order into 3 or more stores.

Everything has been considered here. The only thing I'm unsure of, is if my PSU has long enough cables to reach the motherboard (most likely it does though). So, if it doesn't, it will suck having to wait for another PSU.

Desktop
(19 items)
CPU
i9 10900K
Motherboard
Asus ROG Maximus XII Hero
GPU
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Gaming OC
RAM
32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 4000MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD
Hard Drive
Corsair Neutron 1TB SSD
Hard Drive
WD Black 6TB
Hard Drive
WD Black 1TB
Optical Drive
ASUS DVD Writer ZenDrive U9M Silver
Power Supply
Corsair HX 750W
Cooling
Noctua NH-D14
Case
Corsair Obsidian 1000D Super Tower Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise
Monitor
Asus 27" G-Sync Rog Swift PG279Q
Monitor
Asus VG248QE 144hz 3D
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe MK.2 RGB MX Red
Mouse
Logitech G502 Hero
Audio
Sound Blaster Zx
Other
Dali Zensor 3 speakers, Yamaha RX-V659 7.1 receiver
CPU
i7 9750H
GPU
RTX 2080 (full powered)
RAM
32GB DDR4 2666MHz
Hard Drive
2x 512GB WD M.2 NVMe
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 860 QVO SSD
Monitor
17,3" G-Sync 144hz IPS
Keyboard
Logitech G613 wireless mechanical
Mouse
Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
Audio
5.1 built in surround speakers
▲ hide details ▲
post #58 of 99 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 08:07 AM
New to Overclock.net

The only thing I'm unsure of, is if my PSU has long enough cables to reach the motherboard (most likely it does though). So, if it doesn't, it will suck having to wait for another PSU.
Get a PSU extention cable pack like this : https://prisguiden.no/sok?q=CableMod...+Extension+Kit

post #59 of 99 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 08:09 AM
Ganakas

Realistically , I would just mod whatever case you have now , If you have no intention of using a waterblock on the GPU nor making mods to the pcb itself , Best way to gain performance is to seperate the Gpu from any possible external heat . (As in heat it doesn't generate itself) This can be done alot of different ways , PCI slot extenders ppl use for subjective looks can actually be usefull inorder to position the card in various ways, depending on how the cooler on it works.

In anycase Ive seen no benchmark of the 5600xt for instance that matches the 1660TI I had , in fact without a waterblock I had the cheap 1660 TI may be 1 or 2 frames behind what You see most 2060 K0 Benchmarks at.

I run 93-98 % (with RTX off) Utilization on bfV at 1080p ... on the 2060 Super and R7 2700(non x) thats with frames uncapped (avg 148) All ultra settings minus Undergrowth and lights (fks vision up for shooting ppl ) , I also maintain 2k+ boost clock on the card during gaming and in a 22C Room it never goes over 51 and averages around 46C . While monitoring software won't flag the "Thermal" throttle reading till much higher in Temp range...the nvidia cards do infact downclock at various points prior to that.

So in short u could likely buy one of us a computer and just use some expendable time on yours and get meaningful gains in gaming right now prior to the new hardware even being released.

While much of this won't help if you are already going to water cool the card . Again Seperating the air for the card from the CPU/VRM -etc makes a big difference. I don't use one of the PCI Expansion ribbons I can't speak to weather or not they add any latency , I'll find out as soon as I get one however.

But directing the air flow exactly where you want it ..and exhausting it exactly where you need it and seperating the two primary heat creators (really 3 if you count PSU) goes a very long way.

"Noise normalized Thermals" I turn videos on cases and fans off when I see that as ...I can't hear my case with 13 fans from more than 3 feet away ...nevermind with my headphones on. Fans themselves create heat is an issue so thats something to keep in mind. Stacking fans is also another thing to look into if you have not.

OR could just blow a big wad of cash on waterblock.
post #60 of 99 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 08:17 AM
New to Overclock.net

Was going to buy Noctua fans, like I said, but I found nothing in stock.
In stock here : https://www.dustinhome.no/product/50.../nf-a12x25-pwm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in