IHS Removals, How to do it, Should I do it, and the Facts! - Page 22 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

IHS Removals, How to do it, Should I do it, and the Facts!

post #211 of 236 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 05:58 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 42 (Unique: 35)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonDa5 View Post

It's the gate brother. When your e-balls are ready you will be ready.

stolen for sig!! rofl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonDa5 go_quote.gif

It's the gate brother. When your e-balls are ready you will be ready.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 236 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 07:43 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane delidded:

This took about 3 minutes. If you have one, it is great delidding practice.

Edit: Oops, zombied this thread. At least it has useful information. smile.gif

post #213 of 236 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 12:20 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 260 (Unique: 207)
Quote:
Originally Posted by devikyn View Post

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane delidded:

This took about 3 minutes. If you have one, it is great delidding practice.

Edit: Oops, zombied this thread. At least it has useful information. smile.gif

lol I was just looking at this yesterday since I have 2 of these chips laying around.

cool

does your chip work? any before/after?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 236 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 02:57 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckySe7ens View Post

lol I was just looking at this yesterday since I have 2 of these chips laying around.

cool

does your chip work? any before/after?

Unfortunately I don't have all the parts to test it anymore. I've since moved on to bigger and better things.

I imagine it would not make much difference since heat was not the limiting factor on these chips.

This may just be my chip oxidizing since it was sitting on my desk out in the open for a year, but the PCB is very coarse and rough. I didn't clean the glue off of it because I was afraid of tearing the PCB.

On a side note, I have wanted to try transposing the IHS from this chip onto my i5, which is also delidded.. the IHS on the Athlon seems much better made. Has anyone tried this type of thing?

post #215 of 236 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 12:56 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 17 (Unique: 16)
post #216 of 236 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 02:04 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 151 (Unique: 106)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldsweeper View Post

im debating this, want to see it on a 3930K first tho, lol

No you dont because 3930K is SOLDERED!

post #217 of 236 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 06:15 AM
New to Overclock.net

Anybody have any ideea if the die thickness and IHS thickness of modern CPUs vary considerably ? I'm trying "just for fun" to modify a AMD retention bracket so the base of the heatsink sits directly on an old delidded Athlon 64 LE-1640. Since removing the IHS the heatsink stops on that square plastic thing that sourrounds the bracket leaving a gap between it and the die so i have to sand the 4 little plastic legs that contact the motherboard to lower the whole thing but i don't know by how much. The only thing close i could find was the measurement of a 3770k which has a total thickness of 4.15 mm from which the IHS (cleaned of all the black stuff) has 2.97 mm and the die 0.53 mm so that would mean in order to seat perfectly on the die you would have to drop exactly 2.44 mm but like i said that's ivy bridge.
post #218 of 236 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 11:07 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 224 (Unique: 176)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmWeasel View Post

Anybody have any ideea if the die thickness and IHS thickness of modern CPUs vary considerably ? I'm trying "just for fun" to modify a AMD retention bracket so the base of the heatsink sits directly on an old delidded Athlon 64 LE-1640. Since removing the IHS the heatsink stops on that square plastic thing that sourrounds the bracket leaving a gap between it and the die so i have to sand the 4 little plastic legs that contact the motherboard to lower the whole thing but i don't know by how much. The only thing close i could find was the measurement of a 3770k which has a total thickness of 4.15 mm from which the IHS (cleaned of all the black stuff) has 2.97 mm and the die 0.53 mm so that would mean in order to seat perfectly on the die you would have to drop exactly 2.44 mm but like i said that's ivy bridge.

Not sure, why not just take the bracket off?

You could always sand down the sides of the IHS if you go too far thumb.gif

EDIT: Also nice club.. Is this going to ever be updated? lol
post #219 of 236 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 01:54 PM
New to Overclock.net

If I de-lid say a 3770k or a 4770k and not re-attach the lid, can I use a closed loop water cooler to safely cool it? And would there be drastic improvements. There are too many threads and posts to read to get my answers so might as well try quickly here thumb.gif
post #220 of 236 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 04:47 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 224 (Unique: 176)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickshooter View Post

If I de-lid say a 3770k or a 4770k and not re-attach the lid, can I use a closed loop water cooler to safely cool it? And would there be drastic improvements. There are too many threads and posts to read to get my answers so might as well try quickly here thumb.gif

You could use a closed loop system (H100/H100i I assume?) to cool it without the IHS, you will have to remove the clip that normally holds the CPU In place and be really careful placing it down, because you can crack the die if you do it how one normally would.

I.E Sit the cooler on there very gently, alligning it before placing it on the CPU. Then turn one corner a bit slowly, then do the same with the opposite and just work your way evenly across all four until they're tight.

The advantage of no IHS is probably 5c tops, depending on how uneven the IHS is. That and just saying that you have a IHSless CPU tongue.gif

It's a big risk though, honestly I'd run with it on just to play on the safe side. If you feel like risking it or can afford another CPU like that then go for it, but if you can't de-lidding it alone is a big enough risk tongue.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in