~ Official i7 950 Overclockers Club ~ (Read First Post) - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

~ Official i7 950 Overclockers Club ~ (Read First Post)

post #21 of 2869 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 07:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 296 (Unique: 243)
i'm new to the whole custom PC scene and was thinking of getting an i7 950 but never really thought about all this batch # shenanigans.

what is the difference between batches and what would be the best?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 2869 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter
Lister

Rep: 298 (Unique: 183)
Updated.

Eggy: Yep. I dare ya'.

Hawkeye: Same batch number as bsodpanicattack and m'self. Mine came from PCCaseGear. Looks like a good batch.

=DMG-42=: Keep squeezin'!

blackbalt89: A bit early to tell. With the 920 some batches overclocked much better than others. The batch number is written on the chip, and on the label of the box it comes in. I'm chuffed to see my batch getting good OC numbers. I haven't gone for the max yet. Just as far as is comfortable for my cooling.
post #23 of 2869 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alancsalt View Post
Hawkeye: Same batch number as bsodpanicattack and m'self. Mine came from PCCaseGear. Looks like a good batch..
another aussie floating around lol.
Mine came from Altech through work (altech in melbourne)

it's a golden batch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 2869 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 05:28 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
blackbalt89: A bit early to tell. With the 920 some batches overclocked much better than others. The batch number is written on the chip, and on the label of the box it comes in. I'm chuffed to see my batch getting good OC numbers. I haven't gone for the max yet. Just as far as is comfortable for my cooling.
well i'm not going to be looking to go over 4.0ghz. could it be said that any batch could do so with stability? or is that where the problem lies, getting it to 4.0?
post #25 of 2869 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
Lister

4.00GHz is IMHO not that hard. After that voltages and temperatures escalate. Some have difficulty sooner, but it's hard for me to say if that is the overclocker or his processor....

I suspect these 950 chips OC better than the 930 on average.

Check out the 4.00GHz Club in my sig and that should give you a good idea what is possible. I think voltages over 1.4 usually need water cooling or better, and that from 1.35 to 1.4 is pushing air cooling limits when ambient is over 21C. What do others think? Speak up if u disagree guys. I'm no expert.
post #26 of 2869 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 07:51 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
4.00GHz is IMHO not that hard. After that voltages and temperatures escalate. Some have difficulty sooner, but it's hard for me to say if that is the overclocker or his processor....

I suspect these 950 chips OC better than the 930 on average.

Check out the 4.00GHz Club in my sig and that should give you a good idea what is possible. I think voltages over 1.4 usually need water cooling or better, and that from 1.35 to 1.4 is pushing air cooling limits when ambient is over 21C. What do others think? Speak up if u disagree guys. I'm no expert.
yeah i understand what you're saying. i was just wondering what exactly the difference was between the batches and i was afraid that i wouldnt be able to overclock to 4.0ghz down the road if i get a "bad" batch.
post #27 of 2869 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbalt89 View Post
yeah i understand what you're saying. i was just wondering what exactly the difference was between the batches and i was afraid that i wouldnt be able to overclock to 4.0ghz down the road if i get a "bad" batch.
i took a hit and miss. my old i7 920 was packing it in and starting to get hot, needed more voltage etc so i got this 950 which is the same batch as the ops, mine gets lower volts stable 'no idea if op tried for lowest voltages yet"
so batches aren't always reliable
you will hit 4Ghz no matter what, i have never seen a 950 not being capable of maintaining that stable.
IMO the 920's weren't as "lucky" as these current chips.
so you have nothing to worry about

@ OP - do you get 4Ghz w/ HT with stable 1.22v?
post #28 of 2869 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 09:39 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk-nVidia View Post
i took a hit and miss. my old i7 920 was packing it in and starting to get hot, needed more voltage etc so i got this 950 which is the same batch as the ops, mine gets lower volts stable 'no idea if op tried for lowest voltages yet"
so batches aren't always reliable
you will hit 4Ghz no matter what, i have never seen a 950 not being capable of maintaining that stable.
IMO the 920's weren't as "lucky" as these current chips.
so you have nothing to worry about

@ OP - do you get 4Ghz w/ HT with stable 1.22v?
ah thank you thank you. cause who knows. maybe my local microcenter would pick up crappier batches to save a few bucks. i was scared. but their pricing is like 65 bucks cheaper than newegg :. thats too hard to pass up considering newegg will charge me 7% tax on that item that is already 65 bucks more where microcenter is in a "urban enterprise zone" so tax is halved. lol
post #29 of 2869 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
Lister

Don't think shops specify batches, certainly no price difference from Intel. Some shops have tested chips in past, and sought "good" batches, but AFAIK no discounts from Intel for "bad" batches. If they can run the spec clock they are "fit for purpose".

Hawk: Nope. No 4GHz. Just went straight for 4.2GHz. Have not tried for lowest volts possible yet.

Have HT back on ATM.
post #30 of 2869 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter
Lister

Tried for lowest volts that support 4.2GHz.
In bios it says: 1.3125v
In CPU-Z at idle it says: 1.28v
In CPU-Z running Prime: Oscillates between 1.28v and 1.296v

Less than that and workers 5 or 6 show errors.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in