[Official] The Sandy Stable Club **Guides, Voltages, Temps & BIOS Templates** Inc SPREADSHEET - Page 225 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Official] The Sandy Stable Club **Guides, Voltages, Temps & BIOS Templates** Inc SPREADSHEET

post #2241 of 10710 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Rep: 921 (Unique: 603)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2242 of 10710 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 01:48 PM
Programmer

Rep: 1554 (Unique: 1016)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullTrail;14463742 
img1860l.jpg
Source
This is how it looks in my BIOS. It's the 8th setting for me. Look for something similar. If you don't have the option, setting the DRAM frequency to 1600MHz should do the same.

EDIT: I have a question. Does OCing the RAM frequency cause any instability? I've noticed some OCers on the spreadsheet left their RAM at 1333MHz, and I'm assuming they could get it to 1600MHz like I did. Would it make a difference? I'm on a quest to get my 2600K @ 4.5 stable with a voltage under 1.35 (below 1.40 above all). Possible?

Yes, just like a CPU. Tightening the timings can also increase chance of instability. I don't recommend upping the voltage. It shortens RAM life by a huge amount.

Intel Core i9 9900K HT 5GHz
GIGABYTE Z390 Ultra
AMD ASUS STRIX OC VEGA 64
G-Skill Trident 2x8GB DDR4 4000MHz
Samsung EVO NVM.e 250GB
SeaSonic 1250W Gold
Corsair 900D + Custom Loop.

post #2243 of 10710 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

These are all the links that come to mind when sandybridge users think about overclocking or choosing RAM:

Sandy Bridge Memory Scaling: Choosing the Best DDR3

The Best Memory for Sandy Bridge

Choosing the Best Memory for LGA1155 Platform

These articles not only help 1155 users choose RAM but also show what overclocking them really does in terms of benchmarking and everday usage. I recommend reading those before overclocking RAM or choosing it for Sandy!! biggrin.gif

I'll add this to the OP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2245 of 10710 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 03:25 PM
Programmer

Rep: 1554 (Unique: 1016)
Quote:
Originally Posted by munaim1;14464717 
These are all the links that come to mind when sandybridge users think about overclocking or choosing RAM:

Sandy Bridge Memory Scaling: Choosing the Best DDR3

The Best Memory for Sandy Bridge

Choosing the Best Memory for LGA1155 Platform

These articles not only help 1155 users choose RAM but also show what overclocking them really does in terms of benchmarking and everday usage. I recommend reading those before overclocking RAM or choosing it for Sandy!! biggrin.gif

I'll add this to the OP.

Sweet! Thanks. I was thinking of going corsair. I will check the links out.

Intel Core i9 9900K HT 5GHz
GIGABYTE Z390 Ultra
AMD ASUS STRIX OC VEGA 64
G-Skill Trident 2x8GB DDR4 4000MHz
Samsung EVO NVM.e 250GB
SeaSonic 1250W Gold
Corsair 900D + Custom Loop.

post #2246 of 10710 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 03:32 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 786 (Unique: 486)
Quote:
Originally Posted by munaim1;14465166 
Hey tunagoblin like my run?

Highest superpi run and cpu-z so far on water. biggrin.gif

What's that bit all about bud confused.gif
Are we talking World Record eek.gif

post #2247 of 10710 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACHILEE5;14465693 
What's that bit all about bud confused.gif
Are we talking World Record eek.gif

lol only myself and tuna has posted a suicide run in this thread so I thought I'd post it again.

World record, not really, I would love that but these are quite an acheivement for me:

Cpu-z Validation

29th in the world
6th in the World filtered by watercooling

Superpi 1mb

34th in the world
7th in the World filtered by watercooling

Check it here: http://hwbot.org/hardware/processor/core_i5_2500k/

EDIT: trust me if I had LN2, phase or dry ice I would try pushing it further with this beauty biggrin.gif
post #2248 of 10710 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 03:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 43 (Unique: 31)
Quote:
Originally Posted by munaim1;14465752 
lol only myself and tuna has posted a suicide run in this thread so I thought I'd post it again.

World record, not really, I would love that but these are quite an acheivement for me:

Cpu-z Validation

29th in the world

Superpi 1mb

34th in the world

Check it here: http://hwbot.org/hardware/processor/core_i5_2500k/

EDIT: trust me if I had LN2, phase or dry ice I would try pushing it further with this beauty biggrin.gif

Geezz just about I was gonna give up.... But now I can blame on someone if my chip goes wheee.gif
jk.tongue.gif
See if it can get to x55...
post #2249 of 10710 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 04:06 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 786 (Unique: 486)
Quote:
Originally Posted by munaim1;14465752 
Cpu-z Validation
29th in the world

Superpi 1mb
34th in the world

Nice! Well inside the top 10 drum.gif
Respect cool.gif

post #2250 of 10710 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Here's my quick little sandy guide:
Quote:
The only things will that will require multiple changes are the vccio (VTT), PLL voltage and vcore, refer to this:

Set the whole thing to stock and start again. This time only change the RAM to XMP (STOCK) and run prime blend for a few mintues to see that your CPU is functioning properly.

Then comes the task of determining the voltage for the multiplier, but that comes after you find the correct LLC setting for your motherboard. LLC = Load line calibration, it's there to help you eliminate or reduce the vdroop as much as possible. Vdroop is the voltage difference between what you set in the BIOS / UEFI and what you really get under load. You will have to work out which works best for YOU. For example, if you set 1.35v in the BIOS and under load during stress testing it's 1.31v and that's HIGH or Level 2 LLC, then you may have to increase the LLC setting to reduce that droop, now depending on how your mobo works it could be like so:

Level 1 being the highest LLC setting and 5 being the lowest and vice versa. The objective is to keep the voltage under load as controllable as possible without it letting it spike. These LLC settings will be different amongst mobo's. For Asus mobo's the Ultra high (75%) LLC seems to work best for when using Manual voltage, however I personally have found using high LLC with offset is a little better, idle voltage is a little higher (can be helpful in preventing those pesky idle bugs) and voltgea fluctuates a little less when under load.

Then it comes to that task of finding the actual voltage for the overclock. Set the vcore manually to 1.25v, Leave C1E and Speedsteep enabled and run C3 and C6 on Auto if you can, if not leave them enabled. Also leave Spread spectrum enabled, if you find that it disrupts the BCLK in CPU-Z then just disable it.

Additional settings that you need to change from the get go, but won't need to be changed afterwards:

Can be found under advanced settings/cpu configuration:
Quote:
For Asus Mobo's
CPU Current Capability - 140%
Phase and Duty Control - Extreme
EPU Power saving - Disabled
VRM Frequency - Manual - 350
Quote:
For Asrock Mobo's
Turbo Boost Power - Manual
Short Duration Power Limit - 250
Long Duration Power Limit - 250
Core current Limit - 250
Quote:
For Biostar Mobo's
CPU Core Current max (AMP) - 150
Power Limit Value 1 & 2 - 200
Quote:
For Zotac Mobo's
Turbo Boost Power Max - 250
Turbo Boost Short Power Max - 250
IA Core current (AMP) - 200
Quote:
For Gigabyte Mobo's
Turbo Power Limit - 200
Quote:
For MSI Mobo's
Short Duration Power Limit- 250
Long Duration Power Limit - 250

CPU PLL Overvoltage is only needed when a particular multi (usually the high ones (46x+)) doesn't boot into windows.

This should be a stepping stone to get your rig stable. With those settings you will eventually get to the point where you're stable or nearing stability.

Set the multi to 45 and the vcore to 1.25v and increase the vcore each time after you stress test, run a quick custom prime with these FFTs (1344 & 1792) like THIS and go back and change the vcore accordingly, bump it by one not big jumps and that goes for PLL and VCCIO (VTT) and VCORE!!!

Work your way up from there, increase multiplier and test with prime blend, if it fails, increase the voltage or continue increasing the multiplier until you are satisfied with the temps.

Just a note: The custom FFT's are not that consistant, making them not all that reliable, however if it works for you, then that's great. What I mean by inconsistant, is that it may pass once with the same settings but may fail the exact same run second time round. In that instance I will recommend you to run a standard blend test to find your overclock, using intervals of 15/30mins. This duration will increase when you're nearing stability. This is a lenthy process, one that takes time and patience, make sure your up to the task thumb.gif

When nearing stability ie. lasting a couple hours or little more in prime blend and it fails, you could try a couple of things like tweaking the PLL and VCCIO (QPI/VTT).

When RAM is at stock (for example, around 1.5v and 1600mhz) increasing the the VCCIO can help general stability when overclocking the cpu, usually between stock and 1.125v. If you're overclocking RAM then increasing it further might help.

PLL voltage between 1.5v - 1.7v could also help.

Just a small reminder, don't think more voltage = more stability doh.gifWhen changing any values in the BIOS / UEFI, start low or stock and work your way up in small increments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by munaim1 
Just thought I'd let you guys know, I have been testing the PLL voltage further and found something quite amazing. With my current stable settings including the PLL voltage around 1.7v was stable as you can see from my submission to the club. For the last 10days or so I tried messing around with the PLL, I dropped it down to 1.4v and started going up, I kept on receiving the Error 124 up until I reached 1.55v and it passed both the 1344 and 1792 test along with a few hours of prime blend. My sweet spot is at 1.55v.

Here are the additionl info regarding PLL voltage, VCCIO and VCCSA: READ BSOD 124 / IDLE Freezing on Sandy? & THIS (scroll down a little to the *~*IMPORTANT TIPS & FINDINGS*~* section

Head over to the Sandy Stable Club for more info and tips thumb.gif

One more thing, BSOD Error code 101 is usually refered to the vcore being too low, Error 124 can also be vcore, VTT (VCCIO) or even PLL voltage being to high or too low.

Offset

Once you have 'found' your desired overclock, assuming you have followed the guide above, you should be using manual voltage and the correct level of LLC to determine and eliminate the vdroop as much as possible, then all you do is the following:

Once you know what vcore you require under load, using cpu-z you can work out the offset by using the VID. When running your cpu under load to read vcore, you can do the same to read the VID. That can be achieved by running prime with cpu-z and realtemp. The difference between the load voltage in cpu-z and the VID you see in realtemp is the offset amount you're looking for.

For example if your VID is 1.3875 under load and your cpu-z vcore under load is 1.4275, the offset will be a positive amount from the VID, so it'll be +0.040 (1.3875 + 0.040 = 1.4275)

If the VID is 1.3875 and your cpu-z vcore is lower, say 1.3675, the offset will be a negative value of from the VID, which is -0.020 (1.3875 - 0.020 = 1.3675)

That's all there is to it, if you have issue's with offset like idle / random BSOD's please refer to the many links available in the Stable club or in my Sig.

smile.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in