[Official] Fractal Design Node 304 Owners Club - Page 40 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[Official] Fractal Design Node 304 Owners Club

post #391 of 7239 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 06:26 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Just finished building my rig. It's just a basic rig, no video card so I didn't think making a build thread was warranted.

specs
core i5 3570k cpu
scythe shuriken rev. b with noctua b9 pwm 92mm fan
asrock h77m-itx motherboard
2 x 8gb 1600 kingston hyperx red
256gb samsung 830 ssd
3 x hdd (620gb, 750gb, 1tb)
seasonic x650 modular psu

Will probably add a gpu down the line. Something quiet and under 9" so it'll clear the psu cables

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 7239 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 02:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Finally finished up my little "steambox". Added a GTX 660 and a 1TB hdd today:

post #393 of 7239 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 09:30 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Thanks everyone for your input thus far regarding this great little case. I did a litte research on the net before finding this thread and figured this would possibly be the best place to ask if what I'm thinking of doing makes any sense.

At present, I'm running a Fractal Design R3 case with an extra front fan. It's a basic AMD A6-3670K setup with 4GB of RAM, a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ CPU cooler and an ADATA 120GB SSD as the main boot drive. For media in the system, I'm running 3x4TB Hitachi 5400RPM drives and a 1x3TB Hitachi 5400RPM. I've got a Seasonic X-560 modular PSW in this (again, overkill, but I like the fact that it never really has to run the fan as it's passive 99% of the time when I use it).

The Node 304 intrigues me because of its size. The R3 is pretty huge in my condo living room and I'd love something a little smaller and this case seems to fit the bill. Besides, this case would look a lot nicer on an A/V shelf. smile.gif

So, I'm looking at picking this case up and moving the drives over but changing up the mainboard and CPU simply because I know that the Intel offerings run cooler but I do need at least 5x SATA ports so the Intel ITX solutions seem to be much more in line with what I want to do.

No gaming or anything else (other than HD audio playback and HD video playback) occur with this system. Not planning to overclock anything as I don't really need to.

My biggest curiosity is how cool are drives running for others who have a similar setup? Under Hard Disk Sentinel Pro 4.20, my drive temperatures never run above 36C (and this is usually when the suns beaming in as I face south or other people on lower floors are running heat). On my current ASUS setup, I have the fans set to LOW/AUTO and run the case fans at about 2/3 on the adjustable dial with the R3.

To recap, I plan to pull the following from my current system:

PSU: Seasonic X-560
HDD1: Hitachi 3TB 5400 RPM
HDD2: Hitachi 4TB 5400 RPM
HDD3: Hitachi 4TB 5400 RPM
HDD4: Hitachi 4TB 5400 RPM
SSD: ADATA S510 [works fine for my application]

And I plan to purchase the following:

Case: Fractal Design Node 304
MB: ASUS P8H77-I Deluxe
CPU: Intel i3-3225 [was originally thinking the i3-3220T as it's cooler but I know the 3225 has HD4000 for IGP]
VIDEO: ON BOARD
RAM: 2x4GB (whatever is decent and cheap at the time of purchase)

I've read that the 24p issue has more or less been fixed. I had an old Clarkdale i3 which drove me nuts and ended up putting in a Radeon 6450HD video card because it was _that bad_.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this potential move?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #394 of 7239 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 12:53 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 23 (Unique: 22)
Since putting my build together I had been bothered by how much space the air cooler took up. Getting at cables, connectors on the mobo was very difficult. Was wandering around local Frys yesterday and they had a fresh shipment of NZXT Kraken X40(140mm fan) coolers...

Went from this

To this, got my case back(had an MSI Twin Frozr in there but it appears to have taken a dump. A warning though for folks using the P8Z77-I deluxe mobo, the backplate takes some modifying luckily it's some type of plastic. The rest of the install was easy, and barely more audible than the Zalman it replaced( which was hard to bolt down).

post #395 of 7239 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 02:47 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 21 (Unique: 20)
Got the new rig assembled. Here are some crappy cell phone pics! thumb.gif

Still need to overclock ram and tie down some cables around the power supply exhaust.

Edit: And for some fun biggrin.gif

Edit2: Played about 30 minutes worth of BF3 in a full server. Max temps were 70C for CPU and 53C for GPU. The H80 moves a lot of air, which I think helps keep the GPU cool. Very pleased with everything so far.

post #396 of 7239 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 06:00 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 10 (Unique: 9)
wow i really like your build are all fans intakes?

i am looking at getting the new H60
post #397 of 7239 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 06:53 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Looks like that Kraken x40 blocks the pci-e brackets though.
post #398 of 7239 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 07:18 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatzelle303 View Post

wow i really like your build are all fans intakes?

i am looking at getting the new H60

The fans on the H80i are exhaust and they move a lot of air. I think this is very beneficial for all of the components in the system except for the CPU, which is fairly easy to manage since I have already dialed in my overclock. They actually create a vacuum in the case which pulls air through the exhaust port for the PSU, which adds more heat to the CPU.
The downside of this is that the PSU exhaust port does not have a filter on it rolleyes.gif

post #399 of 7239 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 11:00 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 23 (Unique: 22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BahamutZer0 View Post

Looks like that Kraken x40 blocks the pci-e brackets though.

Close but clear by mm or 2, I'll try to get a pic with my defunct MSI card tomorrow

EDIT:Not as bad as previous photo looked but I couldn't get the card in, actually need another 1-2mm to clear the radiator. Don't really need a vid card myself so no problem for me. Might try loosening fan/radiator pushing over a bit otherwise you'd need to mod the mounting a bit. If Fractal ever makes any changes to the case, a good one might be to move that fan mount over, plenty of room on the other side.

post #400 of 7239 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 10:01 PM
New to Overclock.net

That is a really tight fit. I would expect that cards with back plates would not fit with that radiator.

Btw, got a new personal record on 3DMark11 with my Node 304 biggrin.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in