[Official] uSFF/SFF Club - Page 124 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Official] uSFF/SFF Club

post #1231 of 2861 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 10:33 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 23 (Unique: 22)
One for the uSFF category, Morex 557B at 2.3L with a Q1900DC mobo, no picoPSU needed running straight off a 19V 30W brick. Still need to punch out 2 holes on the back for wifi antennas, gonna use the RS232 screw hole locations.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 2861 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 01:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFSxperts View Post

I recon we should measure the outer volume excluding case feet as void said. Handles and Power bricks shouldn't count either. The advantage of an external power brick is you can have more than 1 at different locations so no need to carry it around.
As for internal dimensions, it would be very hard to measure for some cases.
External radiators or fans or antennas are not part of the actual case so I don't think it should count.

I think we should just keep it simple with just using external dimensions.

Please,please,please ...
Can we create an official uSFF benchmark/liter thread?

In the OP it states that this thread is all about size, but what about performance?
Sure, there will be bickering about rules. Making subcategories should please some folks.

Case - OEM / Modded / Scratch
GPU - Integrated / Discrete
Cooling - air / water
PSU - Internal / Powerbrick

This community has had inspired some wildly successful projects and powerful uSFF systems.

NCase M1
Compact Splash

People create amazing rigs with the BitFenix Prodigy, and the Silverstone Raven. They should be recognized. Currently, DonDan is crafiting what looks like the next NCASE with his A4. For modders, iFrielicts project Black managed to stuff a i7 a GTX 970, and a full PSU into a 6 liter case. Nobody else has done that! This man was first! Doesn't he deserve some internet points for his internet trophy-case?

post #1233 of 2861 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 03:46 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 13 (Unique: 13)
I've been getting the itch to do something crazy so I've been working on making my own single slot low profile GTX 750 Ti to fit in my side project Antec ISK 310-150 SFF case that I like to tinker with. I just got it installed and writing this on it now. Kill-a-watt reads 142W at the wall during a Furmark burn-in. We'll see how it goes...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1234 of 2861 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 03:51 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runamok81 View Post

Please,please,please ...

In the OP it states that this thread is all about size, but what about performance?
Sure, there will be bickering about rules. Making subcategories should please some folks.

Cooling - air / water

This community has had inspired some wildly successful projects and powerful uSFF systems.

NCase M1
Compact Splash

People create amazing rigs with the BitFenix Prodigy, and the Silverstone Raven. They should be recognized. Currently, DonDan is crafiting what looks like the next NCASE with his A4. For modders, iFrielicts project Black managed to stuff a i7 a GTX 970, and a full PSU into a 6 liter case. Nobody else has done that! This man was first! Doesn't he deserve some internet points for his internet trophy-case?

I can already tell its going to be "who can stuff a GTX 970 into the smallest case". biggrin.gif
post #1235 of 2861 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 03:57 PM
Canada Goose Puncher

Maybe what we need is a modular GPU for this. You know, something with VRMs on one board, video outputs on another, die and VRAM on a third... Really, the PCIe slot itself might be the biggest issue with GPU size and therefore case size. Well, that and mITX being a bit large.

Quote: Originally Posted by TheBadBull View Post
someone sig this

post #1236 of 2861 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 04:42 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reindoonicorn View Post

I can already tell its going to be "who can stuff a GTX 970 into the smallest case". biggrin.gif

Right now, sure, the mini GTX 970s are winning piece of kit. But as both CPU and GPU manufacturers shrink their designs, they increase the performance per watt race and allow even smaller builds. AMD has the 380X around the corner. I can see someone slapping a waterblock on one of those and going for the smallest possible build. Pushing the limits is what this crew does. I love it!

post #1237 of 2861 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 05:29 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 10 (Unique: 9)
Quote:

Please,please,please ...

Cooling - air / water

NCase M1
Compact Splash

You should start one biggrin.gif, not my thing but as you said it would be popular.

post-flame-small.gifNew Zealand Overclock.net Clubpost-flame-small.gif
post #1238 of 2861 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 10:39 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 121 (Unique: 94)
Quote:

Please,please,please ...

Cooling - air / water

NCase M1
Compact Splash

I like small for the sake of small but I'm sure there are people that care a lot about performance/litre. I'd follow whatever is created for the unique builds that are sure to come out of it. smile.gif
I lost track where I was going with this rambling. (Click to show)
I've always seen the SFF community as close knit and small (tongue.gif). Between this thread and the Beastly thread, we cover the two main points of SFF. Dyson Poindexter's thread is good for overall small(-ish) with a lot of performance. Whereas this thread is all about size. You mention the Prodigy and ironically the Prodigy is the main catalyst for the creation of this thread breaking away from the Beastly thread.

Many people have a different definition of what SFF means to them and design their rigs around their ideal. It's hard to have a competition in a space where people have different goals.

I think it's nice to appreciate everyone's builds but not really necessary to compete against each other.

post #1239 of 2861 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 02:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 29 (Unique: 22)
Quote:

Please,please,please ...

Cooling - air / water

NCase M1
Compact Splash

Thanks, but it's iFreilicht tongue.gif Anyway, I have to agree with Reindoonicorn, it is nothing but 970s right now. Next to the A4, with case projects like the LRPC by NCASE or the unnamed case by SaperPL, this thread will get boring quite fast, as people will be able to put 980s into cases not much larger than the PC-Q12. I, too, started a case project that fits a 280mm GPU into a 6L package. With these cases that thread would become a 980 overclocking contest before anything.

I like this thread because there is so much variety, and people have different expectations in their rigs. Sure, some of us want stellar gaming performance, but others want the quietest PC possible, and I don't see a Sone/Litre taking off anytime soon wink.gif

Also there will probably be a lot of people complaining.

That said, if you want to do that kind of leaderboard, go ahead. Maybe you can raise awareness for how powerful small systems really can be, and I'll surely subscribe. thumb.gif
post #1240 of 2861 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 02:29 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 29 (Unique: 22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalUnicorn View Post

Maybe what we need is a modular GPU for this. You know, something with VRMs on one board, video outputs on another, die and VRAM on a third... Really, the PCIe slot itself might be the biggest issue with GPU size and therefore case size. Well, that and mITX being a bit large.

I don't think that is feasible. And I don't think we will be able to make a smaller motherboard formfactor without compromising big-time. We'd need a smaller socket, smaller PCIex16 connectors, smaller everything. mITX boards are pretty cramped as it is, but going to even smaller worlds will only be possible when compromising expandability. You may even go as far as to say that at that point, you should just buy a gaming laptop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frack0 View Post

One for the uSFF category, Morex 557B at 2.3L with a Q1900DC mobo, no picoPSU needed running straight off a 19V 30W brick. Still need to punch out 2 holes on the back for wifi antennas, gonna use the RS232 screw hole locations.

Nice! I didn't know there were non-thin-mITX boards with 19V inputs, good find! thumb.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in