[Official] uSFF/SFF Club - Page 125 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Official] uSFF/SFF Club

post #1241 of 2861 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 03:09 AM
ლ(╹ε╹ლ)

Rep: 176 (Unique: 137)
280mm radiator, fully modular atx psu, full size GPU (269mm), mITX motherboard, all watercooled in an Antec ISK600!

I'll just share this for now wink.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1242 of 2861 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 06:30 AM
Canada Goose Puncher

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFreilicht View Post

I don't think that is feasible. And I don't think we will be able to make a smaller motherboard formfactor without compromising big-time. We'd need a smaller socket, smaller PCIex16 connectors, smaller everything. mITX boards are pretty cramped as it is, but going to even smaller worlds will only be possible when compromising expandability. You may even go as far as to say that at that point, you should just buy a gaming laptop.

I might have been typing my train of thought. wink.gif

There are other ITX form factors other than mini. Nano ITX was introduced back in 2003 and has a 120x120mm footprint. One of those and a laptop GPU slot wouldn't be bad. I think that's similar to what things like the Intel NUC or Gigabyte Brix are using, though they use a proprietary form factor. VIA boardmakers (Jetway and EPIA especially) make a few nITX systems.

There's also the classic mini ATX at 150x150mm, but that's not a huge upgrade and I'm honestly not sure anybody makes them. You are right though - the PCIe connector is a bit of an issue.

Quote: Originally Posted by TheBadBull View Post
someone sig this

post #1243 of 2861 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 07:21 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 44 (Unique: 41)
i only see low end cards with 1x/4x pci-express

NVIDIA and AMD(ATI)
INTEL and AMD
i love them all

APPLE OBSOLETE RIGS USER BUT STILL GOOD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1244 of 2861 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 10:15 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 71 (Unique: 60)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blooder11181 View Post

i only see low end cards with 1x/4x pci-express

Even high end cards aren't that limited by PCIe lanes for gaming. TechPowerUp did a bunch of testing and the 7970 playing BF3 at 5760x1080 did 28.2 FPS at 1.1 x4 vs 29.6 FPS at 3.0 x16: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Ivy_Bridge_PCI-Express_Scaling/6.html

post #1245 of 2861 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 11:03 AM
Canada Goose Puncher

It's mostly due to latency. GPUs don't actually need that much bandwidth. There are two ways to look at PCIe links. You can think of it as a parallel interface, where adding more lanes increases the bus width up to a factor of 16 (there's also PCIe x32, but it is incredibly uncommon and nobody talks about it). This is a bit inaccurate but easier to visualize, since parallel links are usually low-frequency and always synced. PCIe is in fact a serial link, or rather up to 16 of them. The individual lanes are not synced, but rather can be staggered and effectively increase the frequency by a factor of 16, if that makes sense.

Quote: Originally Posted by TheBadBull View Post
someone sig this

post #1246 of 2861 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 01:46 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iFreilicht View Post

Thanks, but it's iFreilicht tongue.gif Anyway, I have to agree with Reindoonicorn, it is nothing but 970s right now. Next to the A4, with case projects like the LRPC by NCASE or the unnamed case by SaperPL, this thread will get boring quite fast, as people will be able to put 980s into cases not much larger than the PC-Q12. I, too, started a case project that fits a 280mm GPU into a 6L package. With these cases that thread would become a 980 overclocking contest before anything.

I like this thread because there is so much variety, and people have different expectations in their rigs. Sure, some of us want stellar gaming performance, but others want the quietest PC possible, and I don't see a Sone/Litre taking off anytime soon wink.gif

Also there will probably be a lot of people complaining.

That said, if you want to do that kind of leaderboard, go ahead. Maybe you can raise awareness for how powerful small systems really can be, and I'll surely subscribe. thumb.gif

The more thought placed into it, the more I agree with your points. A performance/litre thread is nice for people focusing on that type of thing, but ignores two other pillars of PC design... acoustics and aesthetics. People weight the importance of these things to varying degrees. And I can already imagine the contention that would cause. So, on second thought, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place.

post #1247 of 2861 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 02:00 PM
8.2 liters

Rep: 553 (Unique: 361)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runamok81 View Post

So, on second thought, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place.

thumb.gif

post #1248 of 2861 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 09:56 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 52 (Unique: 35)
I agree,no need to go there

Good things come to those who wait.
post #1249 of 2861 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 01:00 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 29 (Unique: 22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalUnicorn View Post

I might have been typing my train of thought. wink.gif

There are other ITX form factors other than mini. Nano ITX was introduced back in 2003 and has a 120x120mm footprint. One of those and a laptop GPU slot wouldn't be bad. I think that's similar to what things like the Intel NUC or Gigabyte Brix are using, though they use a proprietary form factor. VIA boardmakers (Jetway and EPIA especially) make a few nITX systems.

There's also the classic mini ATX at 150x150mm, but that's not a huge upgrade and I'm honestly not sure anybody makes them. You are right though - the PCIe connector is a bit of an issue.

nanoITX sounds tempting, and using PCIex8 or x4 wouldn't be much of a sacrifice. Using mobile GPUs on a dedicated card with a dedicated cooler could also make for very quiet systems. Those things fit into 1cm thick Laptop bodys and can be cooled sufficiently.
Let's hope someone will jump onto that in the next 20 years. tongue.gif
post #1250 of 2861 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 04:26 AM
I dunno what I'm doing.

Rep: 63 (Unique: 45)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runamok81 View Post

So, on second thought, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place.

This statement combined with your username is rather hilarious.

Anyone remember a few years ago when some makers, I think it was ASUS and MSI, sold those laptops that were somewhat modular? You'd buy the case/screen/motherboard and the processor and GPU could be bought separately? It's a shame those never really caught on, because since the GPUs already existed, we might've seen a nano-ITX board with support for those cards.

It is what it is.
Waterworld
(21 items)
CPU
i7-8700k
Motherboard
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac
GPU
GTX-1080ti Founder's Edition
RAM
Kingston HyperX
Hard Drive
Samsung M.2 950 PRO
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra II
Power Supply
Corsair RM650x
Cooling
Optimus V1 LGA-1151 Waterblock
Cooling
Nemesis GTS240
Cooling
Nemesis 120GTS
Cooling
EK D5 Revo
Cooling
Singularity Protium Pump Top/Case
Cooling
EKWB 10x0 Waterblock
Cooling
SavantPCs 240mm Reservoir
Cooling
Noctua NF-A12x25
Case
Fractal Nano S
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Alienware AW3418DW
Keyboard
GMMK TKL
Mouse
Logitech G602
Audio
Creative X7
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in