Rep: 13 (Unique: 10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 2861 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 73 (Unique: 69)
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfraRedRabbit View Post

how much additional CPU cooler height does the SFX psu give you over the ~80mm an ATX psu provides? in guessing depending on the conversion bracket maybe close to 95mm? would be great if you could measure that for me - looking at picking one up for a HTPC/light gamer rig with a short gtx960 and maybe an i5/cheap xeon.

Using a SFX psu in the jonsbo C2 would only give you an extra 10mm of space. The distance from the motherboard to the SFX psu is less than 100mm.

<div class="post-sig post-sig-limit shazam usersig-click"><div class="reparse-sig-lineheight"><div style="text-align:center;"><a href="https://www.overclock.net/t/1300645/usff-sff-club">The Official <span style="font-size:9px;">uSFF</span>/<span style="font-size:10px;">SFF</span> Club</a></div><span></span><br><span>GeForce2 MX 64 &lt; FX 5200 128 &lt; Mobility Radeon 9700 64 &lt; 8400M GS 128 &lt; 9800GT 512 &lt; GTX 460 1 &lt; 650Ti Boost 2 &lt; 650TI Boost SLI 2 &gt; 650Ti Boost 2 &lt; GTX 1070 8</span><br><br><span>rma amount of times: (# of times rma-ed/product failed after warranty period/products owned)</span><br><span>Antec AIO: 2/0/1 | Corsiar AIO: 1/0/2 | Corsair ddr2 sodimm ram: 2/0/2 | Adata ddr2 ram: 2/2/4 | Adata SSD: 2/0/1</span><br><span>WD Black: 1/0/2 | WD Green: 1/1/3 | SilverStone SFX PSU: 2/0/4 | MSI gpu: 1/1/2</span><br><br><span>Products I am avoiding: Sandforce Controller based SSD | TLC nand flash SSD | Asetek | Anything that has season passes</span></div></div>

post #1503 of 2861 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 09:16 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
I posted my build elsewhere, but figure you guys might appreciate it too. Just finished putting it under water about a week ago and haven't even really had a chance to game on it with a newborn. rolleyes.gif

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Ncase M1 V2
i7-4770k
Maximus Impact VI
EVGA GTX 980 SC
2 x 8GB Crucial VLP
Samsung Evo 250GB
HGST 1TB 2.5"
Silverstone SX600-G

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1504 of 2861 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 05:15 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFSxperts View Post

Using a SFX psu in the jonsbo C2 would only give you an extra 10mm of space. The distance from the motherboard to the SFX psu is less than 100mm.

ohhhh i was looking at putting a Noctua NH-L12 in it, but i think 93mm might be very tight, unless i reduce it by using a thin 120mm fan (but i really want the Noctua fan!). instead i think i may have to go for the Silverstone NT06-Pro (at 82mm high) and put a 25mm fan (Noctua PPC maybe) under the heatsink - do you think thats likely to be viable?

its a pity there arent offset ATX/SFX adapter plates.

post #1505 of 2861 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 12:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 29 (Unique: 22)
Quote:

its a pity there arent offset ATX/SFX adapter plates.

If you have access to a drill, you can make one yourself! When you have a dremel and a saw, it becomes a piece of cake tongue.gif

Specification for SFX panel cutout: (From the SFX12V Power Supply Design Guide, Version 2.0, Appenix C)

Specification for ATX PSU mounting hole placement: (From the ATX Power Supply Design Guide, Version 2.2)

Have fun! thumb.gif
post #1506 of 2861 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 01:55 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iFreilicht View Post

If you have access to a drill, you can make one yourself! When you have a dremel and a saw, it becomes a piece of cake tongue.gif

Specification for SFX panel cutout: (From the SFX12V Power Supply Design Guide, Version 2.0, Appenix C)

Specification for ATX PSU mounting hole placement: (From the ATX Power Supply Design Guide, Version 2.2)

Have fun! thumb.gif

this could be doable - im not exactly a metalworking whizz - ill have to have a loof and see if i can modify an existing sfx bracket with a drill and see how much room i can get out of it. i always found it strange that the brackets centered the SFX psu, given that an offset bracket can be oriented in basically any direction to suit a given case.

post #1507 of 2861 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 02:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 29 (Unique: 22)
Quote:

this could be doable - im not exactly a metalworking whizz - ill have to have a loof and see if i can modify an existing sfx bracket with a drill and see how much room i can get out of it. i always found it strange that the brackets centered the SFX psu, given that an offset bracket can be oriented in basically any direction to suit a given case.

Yeah I find that to be pretty strange, too. Well you could make that bracket out of wood if that makes it easier for you biggrin.gif

I think the reason might be that the screws for the SFX PSU would interfere with the cutout for the ATX PSU, so you'd have to use a thicker sheet and countersunk screws in order to make it as much offset as possible.
post #1508 of 2861 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 01:17 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 72 (Unique: 66)
The adapter brackets not being offset in location forced me to be a bit more creative in planning my water cooling loop. If I could offset the PSU all the way to one corner of the case, I'd have more room to run tubes, wires and stuff.

I will probably make a custom bracket anyways. The steel bracket that came included with my Silverstone power supply does not match the aluminum case at all.
post #1509 of 2861 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 01:49 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
I don't know if different Silverstone SFX PSUs come with different SFX->ATX adapter bracket, but the one that came with my 450W 80+Gold has the SFX cutout not centered, it's indeed offset to a side, but not all the way as that would interfere with one of the four screws for the ATX PSU (the one that's not located at a corner of the 150mm x 86mm box.) The cutout could have been further offset had the designer decided to provide the ATX PSU mounting holes on the bracket so that mounting the bracket onto a PC case is possible in only one orientation, by omitting one of the two symmetrically located non-corner screw holes. But that could result in an unwanted offsetting direction depending on the PC case in which this bracket gets used, since there's no guarantee that the specific case has the ATX PSU mounting holes for both orientations. And even if the case does provide ATX PSU mounting holes in both orientations, they have to leave some margin (say, at least 5mm or so) along the 150mm x 86mm box for the ATX PSU cutout, so one of the SFX screw holes on the bracket will still interfere with this chassis margin. (And it could be worse, the AC inlet on the SFX unit may interefere with this margin too if it's too wide.) Here is an example of such adapter bracket provided by the case manufacturer themselves:

post #1510 of 2861 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 01:35 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 19 (Unique: 19)
Finally put my L3 together. It is probably the best htpc case to me.

G3258
Cryorig c1 cooler
Msi 750 ti
HDPlex 160

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in