[Official] uSFF/SFF Club

post #1661 of 2861 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 08:47 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiretap View Post

Here's my pfSense router. Dead silent, no fans. biggrin.gif

- Silverstone PT13 Slim-ITX Case
- Jetway NF9HG-2930 (Intel Celeron N2930 1.83 - 2.16 GHz Quad Core Processor, 4x Intel i211AT Gigabit LAN, mini-PCIe, mSATA, etc..)
- 8GB DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX Impact 1.35v (Part#: HX316LS9IB/8)
- 128GB SanDisk x110 mSATA SSD
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
20150616_215805.jpg

20150616_220031.jpg

20150616_220231.jpg

pfsense_page.png
That's a nice rig.
The mobo itself is interesting with 2 PCIe x1 slots (in addition to mPCIe*1 + mSATA*1) on a mITX board with one of them facing sideways, apparently you had to cut a hole on the side of the case to let the sideway slot stick out of the case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1662 of 2861 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 09:57 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 182 (Unique: 152)

Wow I've had this project sitting on my computer for about a half year now. Forgot it existed.

Honestly most of this is already done. I just need to choose a final height for the case and add some of the frameworking and panels and this project is done. The idea was to make something that's 7L or so like Valve's steam machine prototype. There's some cable clearance issues I need to fix up: there's 2cm of room for power cables above the GPU although I honestly think that's enough to get the cables to bend. Last time I remembered the part of the 6/8-pin that sticks out on the mold measures slightly less than 1cm ignoring the clips. If you have sleeved cables that might turn out to be an issue though. Where Valve and Dell sourced out their right angle power connectors I really want to know now so I can further reduce that clearance needed.

The GPU is also about 4mm from the bottom panel. If the case lays flat to a desk like it is in this photo it would probably warp and touch the panel so thin soft-rubber or foam strips need to be included as spacers. Ideally they're added by the user because I have no idea where the fan will be on their cards, aftermarket or stock. They can probably come on a wax sheet and just peeled off and stuck on. Not great for being reused but it's the only solution I can think of with 4mm of space to work with. GPU shown is a 312mm length GPU as outlined by PCI-SIG max standards, though I rarely see cards that long. With HBM becoming a thing, cards will probably also become shorter. I also need some space for the power button assembly.

SFX-L PSUs also have a spacing issue. You get about 2cm of space to work with all of your 24-pins, 8-pins, 6-pins, etc. I can probably reduce the distance from it to the side of the case (the right side on this picture) because I doubt a right-angle 3-prong power cable will require 25mm of clearance even with the PSU mounting bracket. I didn't see valve use foam or spacing on their steam machine prototype between the PSU and the bottom of the case (all photos I saw were bare metal underneath) so looks like noise caused by vibration from PSU/Case contact isn't going to be a big issue.

Need to come up with a HDD mounting bracket now and a front panel design. I also need to think of a place to put front panel USB headers, although I feel like with a case this small reaching for the back wouldn't be such a big deal (still annoying though). I just can't think of a way to implement them without ruining the front panel aesthetic. BTW those are 2.5" drives. No 3.5" drives here. Capacity and performance shouldn't be that big of an issue. We have SSDs and Hitachi and maybe a few others have 2.5" 7200rpm 1TB drives. Final height of the case will decide final clearance for HDDs so maybe even 15mm HDDs for 2TB 5400rpm storage (WD Greens).

Edit: one question that remains is AIO cooling. If you have a sub 170mm card it's possible given the height of the case. on the HDD mount plate (it's going to be a long sheet of metal that covers the length of the entire GPU area) I'd have to include 120mm fan mount holes. If the height is around 74mm like the Steam Machine Prototype, I'd have around 67-69mm of space to work with (assuming 3 layers of 1.5mm aluminium, minus some for clearance) which would let you mount a single 25mm fan and leave about 40mm for a radiator. Optionally you use that Swiftech CPU block/pump combo and a thin radiator.

As for CPU air coolers, I'm really interested in the Cryorig C7 they showed at Computex. Noctua has their low profile cooler too (NH-L9). ID-Cooling also has their low profile vapor chamber but I haven't seen anywhere to get that yet.

post #1663 of 2861 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 10:31 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 29 (Unique: 22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridCore View Post

[...]
Honestly most of this is already done. I just need to choose a final height for the case and add some of the frameworking and panels and this project is done. [...]

So, it is done except you still have to do everything?

Also, you might want to take a look at this, that seems exactly like what you are trying to achieve and already had a prototype made.

If you want to pursue it, though, make sure to post your build log here, that will allow more extensive discussion of what can be done and what not. For example: HDDs directly on the back of the GPU is a rather bad idea, they're going to heat up quite badly.

Something with a similar layout but different components was also started by ccRicers.

EDIT: I also did a concept for something quite similar to this, but it's on hold, I want to do something easier first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1664 of 2861 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 10:41 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFreilicht View Post

So, it is done except you still have to do everything?

Also, you might want to take a look at this, that seems exactly like what you are trying to achieve and already had a prototype made.

If you want to pursue it, though, make sure to post your build log here, that will allow more extensive discussion of what can be done and what not. For example: HDDs directly on the back of the GPU is a rather bad idea, they're going to heat up quite badly.

Something with a similar layout but different components was also started by ccRicers.

EDIT: I also did a concept for something quite similar to this, but it's on hold, I want to do something easier first.

I feel like the things I listed are mostly minor adjustments.

Honestly it wasn't anything I ever imagined seriously pursuing. I happened to have too much spare time and just did some stuff.

post #1665 of 2861 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 12:44 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 18 (Unique: 15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by veryrarium View Post

That's a nice rig.
The mobo itself is interesting with 2 PCIe x1 slots (in addition to mPCIe*1 + mSATA*1) on a mITX board with one of them facing sideways, apparently you had to cut a hole on the side of the case to let the sideway slot stick out of the case.
Yes, unfortunately it was cut. You may have seen it posted over on the pfSense forums. biggrin.gif I ended up finding a PCI-e 1x dust cover and putting it on the port now.

post #1666 of 2861 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 02:20 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Can be the first registered owner of the Silverstone ML03B ? biggrin.gif

This is actually an HTPC I built in early June 2012 - 3 years ago! The goal was to build a HTPC with a ~300$CA budget. It went well and is still alive and well, with an extra 2TB hard drive added in recently.

Here's a post I made about it way back then, on AVS Forums.

We call it Houston.

Some comments about the parts selection...
  • Yes, an intel G530. It's more than powerful enough for playing back video up to 1080p, and it's still going strong!
  • Yes, a measly 30GB SSD. I was planning on running XBMC on Ubuntu, but got fed up messing with display problems and went with Windows 7... It's tight, but it's enough!
  • The Coolermaster PSU is overpowere - I know, but I got it on sale.
  • The single 4GB stick was cheaper than any 2x2GB packs at the time, and I can easily drop in a second 4GB stick if necessary.
  • The 750GB HDD is from a WD external drive I had.

It lives under the TV, right next to the cable box and currently runs Windows 7 with:
  • Plex Media Server for streaming media to the iPad
  • All media on a shared drive for watching media on other PCs
  • TeamViewer Host for remote control from anywhere
  • VLC for playing movies on the TV
  • Spotify for playing music through a Bose SoundDock

I was able to track down some shots from 3 years ago.
For some reason, I took them before installing the HDD...

Parts :

Empty case :

Mostly complete (no HDD) :

post #1667 of 2861 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 03:09 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 29 (Unique: 22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridCore View Post

I feel like the things I listed are mostly minor adjustments.

Honestly it wasn't anything I ever imagined seriously pursuing. I happened to have too much spare time and just did some stuff.

I wasn't talking about those things you listed, though those can take some time as well if you want to execute them satisfactory. I was talking about designing a structure and the side panels. Coming up with a layout in sketchup takes an hour or so, designing the case around it can take anywhere between a month and a year, that's what I was playing at.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiretap View Post

Yes, unfortunately it was cut. You may have seen it posted over on the pfSense forums. biggrin.gif I ended up finding a PCI-e 1x dust cover and putting it on the port now.

Oh wow, didn't even notice that. That's a strange place for a PCIe1x slot to be, It looks like cards would be installed backwards on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klutz0 View Post

Can be the first registered owner of the Silverstone ML03B ? biggrin.gif

This is actually an HTPC I built in early June 2012 - 3 years ago! The goal was to build a HTPC with a ~300$CA budget. It went well and is still alive and well, with an extra 2TB hard drive added in recently.

Here's a post I made about it way back then, on AVS Forums.
We call it Houston.

Some comments about the parts selection...
  • Yes, an intel G530. It's more than powerful enough for playing back video up to 1080p, and it's still going strong!
  • Yes, a measly 30GB SSD. I was planning on running XBMC on Ubuntu, but got fed up messing with display problems and went with Windows 7... It's tight, but it's enough!
  • The Coolermaster PSU is overpowere - I know, but I got it on sale.
  • The single 4GB stick was cheaper than any 2x2GB packs at the time, and I can easily drop in a second 4GB stick if necessary.
  • The 750GB HDD is from a WD external drive I had.

It lives under the TV, right next to the cable box and currently runs Windows 7 with:
  • Plex Media Server for streaming media to the iPad
  • All media on a shared drive for watching media on other PCs
  • TeamViewer Host for remote control from anywhere
  • VLC for playing movies on the TV
  • Spotify for playing music through a Bose SoundDock

I was able to track down some shots from 3 years ago.
For some reason, I took them before installing the HDD...

Parts :

Empty case :

Mostly complete (no HDD) :

Oh dear god, that ATX PSU is so large! Pretty cool case though. I wonder why Silverstone HTPC cases sometimes have PCIe expansion slots in weird locations. Were they expecting anyone to use those? I mean yeah, you can with a flexible riser, but it seems curious that Silverstone would actually make that a stock feature.
post #1668 of 2861 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 03:26 PM
Canada Goose Puncher

There are some things like eSATA and USB ports that mount to a PCIe bracket. The one above the I/O shield is probably intended for that sort of thing.

Quote: Originally Posted by TheBadBull View Post
someone sig this

post #1669 of 2861 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 05:07 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

I wasn't talking about those things you listed, though those can take some time as well if you want to execute them satisfactory. I was talking about designing a structure and the side panels. Coming up with a layout in sketchup takes an hour or so, designing the case around it can take anywhere between a month and a year, that's what I was playing at.

Structure would have to mirror something that of Silverstone (the most likely candidate if I did get that far) or some other case manufacturer so it wouldn't take too too long. As for side panels there's really only 2 spots for ventilation; above the CPU cooler and SFX PSU for region 1 and the GPU for region 2. Although I can do what Valve did and make it ventilation from the side only (horrible for aftermarkets b/c it'll be drawing and expelling air from that vent above the gpu only) or I can also add vent holes to the top of the GPU to account for aftermarket coolers.

The one thing that always came up first was front panel design because I honestly find that the hardest part. :p My biggest qualm with most of these SFF cases I've seen is their appearance. They kind of just have this hobby kind of look, and I'm pretty sure many others agree (M1 happens to be a bit more finished looking). I can't expect everybody to be some industrial design genius though.

post #1670 of 2861 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 06:19 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 18 (Unique: 15)
Quote:

Oh wow, didn't even notice that. That's a strange place for a PCIe1x slot to be, It looks like cards would be installed backwards on it.
It is made to use a riser card with in a 1U rackmount case.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in