[Official] uSFF/SFF Club - Page 172 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Official] uSFF/SFF Club

post #1711 of 2861 (permalink) Old 07-12-2015, 06:51 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 100 (Unique: 78)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six-Strings View Post

I can't decide between the Node 202 and the Cooltek Coolcube (no maxi, no mini, just Coolcube).

They are both around 10l.

The coolcube is half the price and looks much, much nicer.
The Node 202 would fit in my luggage much better and would support a bigger gpu at some point.

just to throw you another option have you looked at the raijintek metis?

i just made a build in one with a mini 970gtx and its a bloody nice case to work with with some minor mods. a 140mm blow hole and cut some slots on the mobo tray for cable routing. plenty of space for cable management

ether way its phase 1 of my rebuild for now with air cooling, i cant wait to put the whole thing under water

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 2861 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 02:12 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 83 (Unique: 73)
Quote:
Originally Posted by akromatic View Post

just to throw you another option have you looked at the raijintek metis?

i just made a build in one with a mini 970gtx and its a bloody nice case to work with with some minor mods. a 140mm blow hole and cut some slots on the mobo tray for cable routing. plenty of space for cable management

ether way its phase 1 of my rebuild for now with air cooling, i cant wait to put the whole thing under water
Pics please?
Id love the metis for a htpc build

post #1713 of 2861 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 02:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iFreilicht View Post

A PSU shouldn't ever die due to continuous maximum load. And if there's overload on the PSU, it should plainly shut down, not become unusable. Using it for long amounts of time close to its maximum load does shorten its lifespan because the capacitors may die faster due to the higher thermal stress, but a few months are way to soon for anything halfway decent. If you still have the old PSU, maybe crack it open and look inside whether some of the capacitors have bulged or even burst at the top. Then try to find out what kind of caps those are and how many hours they are rated for under which temperatures.
Exactly, efficiency will not impact maximum load, but power draw from mains and heat output.

Yes the Gigabyte has a 8pin connector, the ASUS DirectCU Mini 970 does as well. They have higher coolers, though.

So a 400w PSU will actually generate less heat than a 300w at same load, because the 400w will work more efficiently?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1714 of 2861 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 02:52 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

So a 400w PSU will actually generate less heat than a 300w at same load, because the 400w will work more efficiently?
Depends on it rated efficiency not max wattage by itself. 80 plus bronze is 80% efficient @ certain percantage loads. Where as silver gold and platinum are even more efficient at the same liads. Also theres the 80 plus titanium rating which is 96% efficient @ certsin loads (if 240v)
Google 80 plus psu rating

post #1715 of 2861 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 02:56 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
I'm assuming all things being equal.

In my case, I'm comparing the Be Quiet! Power 2, SFX 300w with the 400w variant, both a 80 plus bronze.
post #1716 of 2861 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 03:17 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

In my case, I'm comparing the Be Quiet! Power 2, SFX 300w with the 400w variant, both a 80 plus bronze.
If equal efficiency then equal drawn from the wall. Rated wattage is just Maximum its good for right?
This is ftom the 80 plus wiki page. Explains it well. How the higher rated psu drawing same power runs cooler, due to higher efficiency rating.

The efficiency of a computer power supply is its output power divided by its input power; the remaining input power is converted into heat. For instance, a 600-watt power supply with 60% efficiency running at full load would draw 1000 W from the mains and would therefore waste 400 W as heat. On the other hand, a 600-watt power supply with 80% efficiency running at full load would draw 750 W from the mains and would therefore waste only 150 W as heat.

post #1717 of 2861 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 03:26 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 29 (Unique: 22)
Quote:

Quote:

As soon as you have a higher maximum load, not all things can be equal anymore. Even looking at the two PSUs you're comparing, we can't say for sure. There are a few options, though:
  1. They could have the exact same circuitry inside, but different thermal solutions, which means both PSUs will generate the same amount of heat at the same load, but the fan in the 400W PSU can spin faster so it can cool the PSU sufficiently at higher loads as well.
  2. They could also have different circuitry with the same thermal solution, which means both PSUs will generate the same amount of heat at their maximum load, but the maximum load of the 400W PSU is higher so at 300W, it would be more quiet and less hot than the 300W PSU.
  3. They could also differ in both regards, then you can't really say anything.

I personally would think that the first option is the most probable, but if you really want to know, you'll have to get both and just test them, maybe even take a look at the insides, get the model numbers of the fans and look at the fan curves of the spec sheets, that sort of stuff.
post #1718 of 2861 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 03:40 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbags View Post

Pics please?
Id love the metis for a htpc build

some random pics with air cooling for now till i sort out what i need for water

the only things that i've done to the case is a top 140mm blow hole as intake, cut out the rear fan gril so it doesnt cause wind turbulence, cut some grooves on the mobo tray for cable routing.

an hour with a dremel + angle grinder makes short work of the case

rear is set as exhaust because i've never seen the PSU fan spin even under prime+ furmark loads

post #1719 of 2861 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 03:41 AM
New to Overclock.net

If the 300w psu is giving 200w to the pc @ 80% then its drawing 250w from the wall.
If the 400w psu is giving 200w to the pc @ 80% then its still drawing the same 250w from the wall.
Therefore same amount of heat left over to get rid of. As said if same thermal solution then no difference. The only time it would be different is when efficiency changes which when it goes over 80% load I think ie 250 watts on the motherbaord side of the psu.

Oh nice work thanks @akromatic

post #1720 of 2861 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 04:04 AM
New to Overclock.net

I'm actually surprised on how cable manageable it is being an ITX case of this size. heck i got larger cases that has no decent places to route cables in a clean manner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in