380 x 87 x 370mm / 12.2L
[m-itx, dual slot riser, SFX]
Product Page
Silverstone ML08
380 x 87 x 370mm / 12.2L
[m-itx, dual slot riser, SFX]
Product Page
Added 2 new SilverStone cases.

The ML08 is getting close to what I want in my next SFF case, but its still a little too big.

The case I want should preferably:
  • Small Form Factor, not slightly smaller than mid towers
  • <10 Liters
  • <$150
  • Has a handle
  • Supports m-itx formfactor with 2 expansion slots
  • Approx. 10" gpu support
  • Air coolers only
  • Good positive airflow
  • 2.5" hdd only
  • SFX PSU only
  • No optical drive bay, NOT even the slim ones.

The case is meant to be carried around frequently so no watercooling support (the fittings might come loose due to the frequent movement, can't risk a leak)
It needs to be light, so maybe aluminum. From what I'm seen in crowd funded designs, the use of a flexible riser can reduce the overall size even more.
The TU100 I had didn't support long gpus, no intake for gpu. It was also hard to work in and I did not like the side panel mechanism.
Dan's A4-SFX has a layout very close to what I want. CPU cooler support is limited and it doesn't have a handle.

If any case manufacturer reps read this, perhaps than can provide some insight as to whether this is possible or not.

<div class="post-sig post-sig-limit shazam usersig-click"><div class="reparse-sig-lineheight"><div style="text-align:center;"><a href="https://www.overclock.net/t/1300645/usff-sff-club">The Official <span style="font-size:9px;">uSFF</span>/<span style="font-size:10px;">SFF</span> Club</a></div><span></span><br><span>GeForce2 MX 64 &lt; FX 5200 128 &lt; Mobility Radeon 9700 64 &lt; 8400M GS 128 &lt; 9800GT 512 &lt; GTX 460 1 &lt; 650Ti Boost 2 &lt; 650TI Boost SLI 2 &gt; 650Ti Boost 2 &lt; GTX 1070 8</span><br><br><span>rma amount of times: (# of times rma-ed/product failed after warranty period/products owned)</span><br><span>Antec AIO: 2/0/1 | Corsiar AIO: 1/0/2 | Corsair ddr2 sodimm ram: 2/0/2 | Adata ddr2 ram: 2/2/4 | Adata SSD: 2/0/1</span><br><span>WD Black: 1/0/2 | WD Green: 1/1/3 | SilverStone SFX PSU: 2/0/4 | MSI gpu: 1/1/2</span><br><br><span>Products I am avoiding: Sandforce Controller based SSD | TLC nand flash SSD | Asetek | Anything that has season passes</span></div></div>

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1782 of 2861 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 12:44 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 29 (Unique: 22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFSxperts View Post

The TU100 I had didn't support long gpus, no intake for gpu. It was also hard to work in and I did not like the side panel mechanism.
Dan's A4-SFX has a layout very close to what I want. CPU cooler support is limited and it doesn't have a handle.

If any case manufacturer reps read this, perhaps than can provide some insight as to whether this is possible or not.

Why not mod the A4 to give it a handle? The limitation to smaller coolers isn't as much of an issue as with most cases because they can draw in cold air directly and don't rely on case fans. From everything you say, it sounds like the perfect case for you. Maybe give it a try once it's available.
post #1783 of 2861 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 73 (Unique: 69)
Its not as simple as just screwing on a handle to the top of the case. The top panel has to hold the weight of the case and components.
And it looks like the front and top panel is in one complete aluminum piece and is held on to the frame with 4 screws at the top.
Also, I'm not so certain on the temps on the back of the gpu. It looks like there will be little to no airflow going to the back.

<div class="post-sig post-sig-limit shazam usersig-click"><div class="reparse-sig-lineheight"><div style="text-align:center;"><a href="https://www.overclock.net/t/1300645/usff-sff-club">The Official <span style="font-size:9px;">uSFF</span>/<span style="font-size:10px;">SFF</span> Club</a></div><span></span><br><span>GeForce2 MX 64 &lt; FX 5200 128 &lt; Mobility Radeon 9700 64 &lt; 8400M GS 128 &lt; 9800GT 512 &lt; GTX 460 1 &lt; 650Ti Boost 2 &lt; 650TI Boost SLI 2 &gt; 650Ti Boost 2 &lt; GTX 1070 8</span><br><br><span>rma amount of times: (# of times rma-ed/product failed after warranty period/products owned)</span><br><span>Antec AIO: 2/0/1 | Corsiar AIO: 1/0/2 | Corsair ddr2 sodimm ram: 2/0/2 | Adata ddr2 ram: 2/2/4 | Adata SSD: 2/0/1</span><br><span>WD Black: 1/0/2 | WD Green: 1/1/3 | SilverStone SFX PSU: 2/0/4 | MSI gpu: 1/1/2</span><br><br><span>Products I am avoiding: Sandforce Controller based SSD | TLC nand flash SSD | Asetek | Anything that has season passes</span></div></div>

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1784 of 2861 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 03:29 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 29 (Unique: 22)
Yes, top and front panel are a single piece, but it wraps around the front to the bottom and is secured with two additional screws at the bottom as far as I know. You could ask Dan himself whether he thinks the case has the structural integrity to support a top handle.
The back of the GPU is only cooled by convection, but as the case has exhausts at the top, I reckon the airflow generated from the chimney effect will be enough to keep it within reasonable limits.
post #1785 of 2861 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 06:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Any GTX 980 / 980Ti that can fit into an unmodded SG05?

I know some ITX GTX 970 models, but I'm still wondering if I could go higher.

P.S.: It needs to be Asus/Gigabyte/MSI/Galax/Elsa/Zotac since I want the free MGSV coupon. thumb.gif

Quote:
Arguing whether Intel is superior than AMD makes about as much sense as whether
having a p***s is better than having a v****a.
confused.gif
grouphug.gifSmart people recognize the advantages and delighted to play with both. thumb.gif
post #1786 of 2861 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 06:58 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 100 (Unique: 78)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulvian View Post

Any GTX 980 / 980Ti that can fit into an unmodded SG05?

I know some ITX GTX 970 models, but I'm still wondering if I could go higher.

P.S.: It needs to be Asus/Gigabyte/MSI/Galax/Elsa/Zotac since I want the free MGSV coupon. thumb.gif

dont think the 980 would fit an un modded SG05, SG05 would do 9.5" un modded

post #1787 of 2861 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 11:56 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Lots of nice builds here. I think i buy an SG05, hope this will fit my ASUS GTX 660 :/.
Whats about the airflow? Is a front 120mm intake good enough to keep things cool in this small case?
I want to put an i5-4460 with an Raijintek Pallas in it.
Only need to find a better GPU that will fit in this case, but at least, In contrast to other mITX cases it can handle GPUs longer than 17/18cm.

Edit: can i join the club with my Chieftec IX-01B?

post #1788 of 2861 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 09:01 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFSxperts View Post

Hopefully NVidia/AMD will produce more short high end GPUs for ITX in near future so the case manufacturers can make shorter/smaller ITX gaming cases, and then we could build high end gaming ITX system in ~7-9lt cases. smile.gif
But you can install R9 Fury X, R9 Nano, GTX970 Mini etc in TU100 and now it also come with the additionally perforated side panel for better thermal. smile.gif

You'll have to wait a bit for that Dan A4 case, and it won't be cheap(probably the most expensive case in $$$ per volume). One thing I don't like about Dan A4 case is the 10.5" GPU support, imo smaller version of the case with ~7-9" GPU support would have been much better. Anyway the side panel mechanism on Dan A4 is very similar to TU100(but you pull the sticking out part instead of using leaver to pop open the side panel) so I prefer the side panel mechanism on TU100.

post #1789 of 2861 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 09:32 AM
Canada Goose Puncher

I still can't figure out why there's no short 680 or 980 - the 670 and 970 had variants after all. Same GPU, same amount of VRAM, and only marginally more cooling capabilities needed.

Quote: Originally Posted by TheBadBull View Post
someone sig this

post #1790 of 2861 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 73 (Unique: 69)
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Leopold- View Post

Lots of nice builds here. I think i buy an SG05, hope this will fit my ASUS GTX 660 :/.
Whats about the airflow? Is a front 120mm intake good enough to keep things cool in this small case?
I want to put an i5-4460 with an Raijintek Pallas in it.
Only need to find a better GPU that will fit in this case, but at least, In contrast to other mITX cases it can handle GPUs longer than 17/18cm.

Edit: can i join the club with my Chieftec IX-01B?

The sg05 has good positive air pressure. Will be be using the optical and 3.5 hd cages? If you remove the cases, there will be not airflow restrictions.
If the Asus 660 is 10.2" (25.91cm) it should fit as the sg05 supports up to 262mm without modding.

Are you sure thats not the IX-03B http://www.chieftec.eu/en/chassis/itx-tower/ix-03b.html with the hdd attachment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gintama7888 View Post

Hopefully NVidia/AMD will produce more short high end GPUs for ITX in near future so the case manufacturers can make shorter/smaller ITX gaming cases, and then we could build high end gaming ITX system in ~7-9lt cases. smile.gif
But you can install R9 Fury X, R9 Nano, GTX970 Mini etc in TU100 and now it also come with the additionally perforated side panel for better thermal. smile.gif

You'll have to wait a bit for that Dan A4 case, and it won't be cheap(probably the most expensive case in $$$ per volume). One thing I don't like about Dan A4 case is the 10.5" GPU support, imo smaller version of the case with ~7-9" GPU support would have been much better. Anyway the side panel mechanism on Dan A4 is very similar to TU100(but you pull the sticking out part instead of using leaver to pop open the side panel) so I prefer the side panel mechanism on TU100.

I'm not in a rush so the case can wait.
The SFX PSU in the Dan A4 has to go in the front. Perhaps with you rotate the PSU, the length could be shorter. Or perhaps if you rotate the psu width-wise, the case will be thicker, which allows for taller cpu coolers.

With the side panel mechanisms in the TU100, every time I take it off, I feel like the panels are going to bend or the pins that's holding it in place is going to break off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in