[Official] uSFF/SFF Club - Page 197 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Official] uSFF/SFF Club

post #1961 of 2861 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 05:11 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
Depends on the case he selects really, some of them are so small they can't even take a low profile GPU.

I still never recommend running non-dGPU Intel unless its pure Microsoft Office use. 3 years of iGPU only Mac Minis will do this to people. >_<'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1962 of 2861 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 06:31 AM
Canada Goose Puncher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbags View Post

Sorry I stand 'partly' corrected smile.gif
I was think a gaming rig usually has a dedicated gpu. APU's are far from usual. APU is usually a budget compact build. I was thinking more the typical Overclocked i5 with a mid to high end gpu, in this case anything above 1600mhz doesnt yeild much if any extra 'gaming' performance. You could pair an i3 and a 750ti with that psu easily. Which could easily out do an APU build while also running cooler (important in a restricted space sff build

Yup, generally speaking, memory doesn't offer a whole lot of extra performance. If it's the same price you might as well get the faster stuff though. Faster RAM can net a few more frames. That said I'm not sure if it's due to the increased bandwidth or because it's usually lower latency.

I think you're right. i3 is about 50W, let's say, and a 750Ti peaks at 60W or so. Problem in his case is that the case (ha!) doesn't have an expansion slot to mount a GPU. There might be some way to mod one in, but I fear the CPU would get a bit toasty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatChicken View Post

Depends on the case he selects really, some of them are so small they can't even take a low profile GPU.

I still never recommend running non-dGPU Intel unless its pure Microsoft Office use. 3 years of iGPU only Mac Minis will do this to people. >_<'

Iris Pro is pretty good, but it's super expensive ($280 for an i5-5675C and $400 for an i7-5775C or something like that - they're perpetually out of stock so the prices are even higher) and Intel GPU drivers suck. Don't touch them ever if you can avoid it. They make AMD's look like the most perfect software ever written.

But that's it. Only reason Iris Pro is good is because of its on-package L4 cache. That's 128MiB of eDRAM running at 100GB/s aggregate, making quite a nice buffer for the GPU to use. If you're using a dGPU instead, the CPU can still benefit. Dealing with many small files using a 5775C is far faster than on a 4790K or 6700K, to compare.

Quote: Originally Posted by TheBadBull View Post
someone sig this

post #1963 of 2861 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 12:51 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
My G.Skill RipJawsX 1.600MHz RAM should be fine for Most Games i want to play - UT 2004, Soul Reaver and such good old games. Most of them runs quite good with the iGPU of my G1820. For Most 'Actual' Games i have my good old XBOX 360. But for newer titles like Mortal Kombat X, which are not released for last gen consoles, i think i go better with 2.133MHz RAM. See some Benchmarks for MK X o on the 7850K, very impressive. With some Controllers that thing should be my perfect small Gaming Station biggrin.gif. Unfortunately, small Cases means Small CPU Coolers. The RaiJintek Pallas looks very nice, but its to high for most Cases like my Chieftec IX-01B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1964 of 2861 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 01:00 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 83 (Unique: 73)
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Leopold- View Post

My G.Skill RipJawsX 1.600MHz RAM should be fine for Most Games i want to play - UT 2004, Soul Reaver and such good old games. Most of them runs quite good with the iGPU of my G1820. For Most 'Actual' Games i have my good old XBOX 360. But for newer titles like Mortal Kombat X, which are not released for last gen consoles, i think i go better with 2.133MHz RAM. See some Benchmarks for MK X o on the 7850K, very impressive. With some Controllers that thing should be my perfect small Gaming Station biggrin.gif. Unfortunately, small Cases means Small CPU Coolers. The RaiJintek Pallas looks very nice, but its to high for most Cases like my Chieftec IX-01B.
I always recommend the Noctua NH-L9i, for amd NH-L9a. I use one in my htpc on an i5 2500. Max temp of 58c running intel burn. In a very confined case and higher than usual ambient. Very low profile @ 37mm high with fan on! Very heavy and dense though. Not sure what sort of temps apu's get.. Im guessing pretty high.
@CynicalUnicorn
One of the few people that can be civilised in a discussion, even when you dont agree. Good on you sir.

post #1965 of 2861 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 02:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 65 (Unique: 62)

This is my first ITX build. I really wanted the nano fury, but I couldn't deal with the coil whine or waiting X amount of time until AMD allows its partners to create custom coolers.

I currently want a smaller case that's both aesthetically pleasing and also extremely compact. Those are pretty hard to come by though without paying quite a bit. So far, I'm looking at the Ncase M1 and the HG Computers Osmi case (Both are hitting about the 200USD price point with shipping).

Build parts as follow:

Case: Silverstone SG05W-Lite
MB: Gigabyte Z170n-Gaming 5
CPU: Intel Core i5 6600k
CPU Cooler: Prolimatech Samuel 17 w/ Vortex 12 120mm Fan -- (L) 121.2mm x (W) 120mm (H) 60mm
GPU: Asus GTX 970 DirectCU Mini
Memory: 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 2400
PSU: Silverstone ST45SF-G
Fan: Gentle Typhoon AP-14 (front intake)
Storage: M.2 Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB SSD (temp. until 950 pro release).

This build isn't using any form of mechanical hard drive (I wanted to reduce cable clutter)

It's been fun checking out everyone's builds.

Hidden Text Below! (Click to show)Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XNine go_quote.gif
Just wanted to say that I have purchased screws (black and Stainless Steel) from these guys and they're top-notch products. If you need screws, and you're lady ain't putting out, hit up FTWPC biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeKlok go_quote.gif
To be frank...by comparison, Vista is like a 500 pound crack whore
Win7 is like a swimsuit model. You can acomplish the same tasks with either; only the experience will be different.
post #1966 of 2861 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 02:48 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 227 (Unique: 140)
Very nice and clean build jivenjune! thumb.gif
post #1967 of 2861 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 02:57 PM
Canada Goose Puncher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbags View Post

I always recommend the Noctua NH-L9i, for amd NH-L9a. I use one in my htpc on an i5 2500. Max temp of 58c running intel burn. In a very confined case and higher than usual ambient. Very low profile @ 37mm high with fan on! Very heavy and dense though. Not sure what sort of temps apu's get.. Im guessing pretty high.

Depends on the clearance. The M350 I've got couldn't even take an NH-L9i with the drive/fan brackets in place. The Evercool low-profile whatchamacallit is cheap, very short - below the top of the RAM's circuit boards in fact - and cools a 100W APU well enough. Clearance might be a slight issue, but it fits in one orientation on my ASRock board.

Quote:
@CynicalUnicorn
One of the few people that can be civilised in a discussion, even when you dont agree. Good on you sir.

Oh no, people don't agree with me on the Internet! sad-smiley-002.gif

I can't bring myself to invest any amount of emotion into Internet arguments. There's no point in bothering getting upset about what that other guy behind the screen on the other side of the world thinks. Disagreement is a good thing for a discussion though, otherwise there's not much point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Leopold- View Post

Ah, gotcha. Older games should do fine for sure. Newer ones will struggle a bit, but eh. It won't be life or death. Low settings should be doable. That's really my biggest complaint with APUs. I'd love for Gigabyte or MSI or ASRock (especially ASRock - they do a lot of embedded and "unique" boards, like the mITX X99 board) to release something with 8GB of GDDR5 soldered to the motherboard. Or - even better - not soldered, but on an upgradeable daughterboard.

Ripjaws X though. Nice stuff. Heatspreaders are fairly easy to remove. thumb.gif They use some pretty nice Hynix chips, so look into overclocking what you have before buying new stuff. I ended up getting new DDR3-2400 because it was $5 more than DDR3-1600. In your case, since you already have the RAM, that's like $50 more. On one hand, that's not a huge expense compared to the other components. On the other hand, that's $50 you don't necessarily need to spend.

Quote: Originally Posted by TheBadBull View Post
someone sig this

post #1968 of 2861 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 03:22 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 29 (Unique: 22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jivenjune View Post

Warning: Darn clean build! (Click to show)

This is my first ITX build. I really wanted the nano fury, but I couldn't deal with the coil whine or waiting X amount of time until AMD allows its partners to create custom coolers.

I currently want a smaller case that's both aesthetically pleasing and also extremely compact. Those are pretty hard to come by though without paying quite a bit. So far, I'm looking at the Ncase M1 and the HG Computers Osmi case (Both are hitting about the 200USD price point with shipping).

Build parts as follow:

Case: Silverstone SG05W-Lite
MB: Gigabyte Z170n-Gaming 5
CPU: Intel Core i5 6600k
CPU Cooler: Prolimatech Samuel 17 w/ Vortex 12 120mm Fan -- (L) 121.2mm x (W) 120mm (H) 60mm
GPU: Asus GTX 970 DirectCU Mini
Memory: 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 2400
PSU: Silverstone ST45SF-G
Fan: Gentle Typhoon AP-14 (front intake)
Storage: M.2 Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB SSD (temp. until 950 pro release).

This build isn't using any form of mechanical hard drive (I wanted to reduce cable clutter)

It's been fun checking out everyone's builds.

Well that certainly worked out well, that is some extremely clean cabling for a build of this size.
Funny how empty such a small case can look. Great job for a first timer!

Yeah the R9 Nano is one of those things were you really want them but are extremely hesitant about actually getting them.

I think I will buy one sooner or later, even if it's just for Eyefinity, but that price tag is really holding me back.
BTW: nVidia Surround is an absolutely horrible piece of software.
post #1969 of 2861 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 03:44 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 83 (Unique: 73)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalUnicorn View Post

Depends on the clearance. The M350 I've got couldn't even take an NH-L9i with the drive/fan brackets in place. The Evercool low-profile whatchamacallit is cheap, very short - below the top of the RAM's circuit boards in fact - and cools a 100W APU well enough. Clearance might be a slight issue, but it fits in one orientation on my ASRock board.
Oh no, people don't agree with me on the Internet! sad-smiley-002.gif

I can't bring myself to invest any amount of emotion into Internet arguments. There's no point in bothering getting upset about what that other guy behind the screen on the other side of the world thinks. Disagreement is a good thing for a discussion though, otherwise there's not much point.
Ah, gotcha. Older games should do fine for sure. Newer ones will struggle a bit, but eh. It won't be life or death. Low settings should be doable. That's really my biggest complaint with APUs. I'd love for Gigabyte or MSI or ASRock (especially ASRock - they do a lot of embedded and "unique" boards, like the mITX X99 board) to release something with 8GB of GDDR5 soldered to the motherboard. Or - even better - not soldered, but on an upgradeable daughterboard.

Ripjaws X though. Nice stuff. Heatspreaders are fairly easy to remove. thumb.gif They use some pretty nice Hynix chips, so look into overclocking what you have before buying new stuff. I ended up getting new DDR3-2400 because it was $5 more than DDR3-1600. In your case, since you already have the RAM, that's like $50 more. On one hand, that's not a huge expense compared to the other components. On the other hand, that's $50 you don't necessarily need to spend.
cant take an NH-L9i??? Wow theyre only 37mm with the fan. That must be a real tight fit! Its even shorter than a stock intel cooler.

post #1970 of 2861 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 06:50 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
@CynicalUnicorn - if possible, i want to save that 50€ / ~55$. Maaaybe i can overclock my RipJawsX from 1.600MHz to 2.133MHz, that's the Maximum Speed that the RAM Supports. I think i can quite easy remove the Heat Spreaders with the Hairdryer of my Wife if necessary biggrin.gif.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in