[Official] uSFF/SFF Club - Page 83 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Official] uSFF/SFF Club

post #821 of 2861 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 04:39 PM
Canada Goose Puncher

Quote:
Originally Posted by akromatic View Post

no way you can have both a high end GPU and CPU overclocked on a 450w, it ether or none at all unless you are running a mainstream GPU

Start with benchmarks giving you power consumption. Now do math.

OC power = Stock power * (OC voltage / Stock voltage)^2 * (OC frequency / Stock frequency)

Simple as that. 450W can handle some pretty powerful components, even when overclocked. Energy efficient components, such as Haswell and Maxwell, are even better. Sadly Big Maxwell is still a while out; the current speculation is that the 900 series will have the high-end chipset while the 800 series will have the midrange chipset, like Kepler all over again.

Quote: Originally Posted by TheBadBull View Post
someone sig this

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #822 of 2861 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 06:12 PM
Stock

Rep: 144 (Unique: 122)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalUnicorn View Post

Start with benchmarks giving you power consumption. Now do math.

OC power = Stock power * (OC voltage / Stock voltage)^2 * (OC frequency / Stock frequency)

Simple as that. 450W can handle some pretty powerful components, even when overclocked. Energy efficient components, such as Haswell and Maxwell, are even better. Sadly Big Maxwell is still a while out; the current speculation is that the 900 series will have the high-end chipset while the 800 series will have the midrange chipset, like Kepler all over again.

I don't think akromatic was arguing against high end components running on the Silverstone 450 modular. He's referring to significantly overclocking both a CPU and GPU at the same time on the st45sfg. The new 600 watt will give us the opportunity to maximize our SFF gear when it's released.

thumb.gif

post #823 of 2861 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 06:17 PM
Canada Goose Puncher

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyp36rmax View Post

I don't think akromatic was arguing against high end components running on the Silverstone 450 modular. He's referring to significantly overclocking both a CPU and GPU at the same time on the st45sfg. The new 600 watt will give us the opportunity to maximize our SFF gear when it's released.

thumb.gif

He's argued about topics he doesn't know about in the past. It's a long story. Anyway, just plug numbers into that formula and get an estimated load. Obviously it won't be 100% accurate since it assumes a perfect world and benchmarks take loads from the wall (with an ~85% efficient PSU), but it won't be too far off. It should take overclocked (but not overvolted) GK110 and overclocked and overvolted Ivy or newer. Ivy-E might be an issue, but that isn't SFF material. But yes, I agree. 600W SFX is long overdue. I want SeaSonic and perhaps Corsair to follow suit. Corsair makes cases too, so they should have an interest in the form factor.

someone sig this

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #824 of 2861 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 06:22 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 182 (Unique: 152)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AboutThreeFitty View Post

I haven't looked through the whole thread, but does anyone know if there is a case like this: (NFC - S3)

Using a pcioPSU, you could easily power an i3 and 750ti.

http://www.mini-box.com/picoPSU-160-XT
http://www.mini-box.com/12v-16A-AC-DC-Power-Adapter (Not sure if the power brick would work with the PSU.)

Part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CVLQf7

The PicoPSUs are pushing it a bit. I'd get a bit worried. I did some research on a i3 + 750Ti w/ a Pico PSU and there could be an issue. Something about the actual power on the 24 pin being lower than the rated output so that it could be a bit problematic when the 750ti starts consuming a bit more power. Really wish there were more powerful PicoPSUs. *sigh* I'd be a bit afraid to try to come up with my own solution so the closest we can probably get is a TFX PSU.

I also wish Galaxy was still widely available in the US. Their 750 Ti Razor is looking really, really awesome right now. Single slot 750 Ti ftw.

Edit: btw, people looking for the original project thread of this case, it's here.

post #825 of 2861 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 06:26 PM
Canada Goose Puncher

They do have variable input PSUs for car PCs. Those go up to 250W or so. Example. I don't know what kind of wall input it takes though.

someone sig this

post #826 of 2861 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 06:44 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 109 (Unique: 83)
So I sold my i7 4770k for $320 today!!! So stoked to pick up my i7 4790k on Friday , will probably end up installing my EVGA ACX CPU cooler as well that I have sitting in it's box sealed lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfraRedRabbit View Post

in my Node 304 im running i5 4670K @ 4.3ghz and an XFX 290DD at 980mhz base clock OC and im hitting ~440w during prime95/heaven benchmarking, so ill definitely be needing more than 450w SFX when i move to my NCASE M1 when it arrives. 450w is enough to run things fine at stock but things get pretty hungry when OC'd.

You and me both , can't wait for the 600w SFX PSU and my M1 V2 to arrive!

Purple Reign
(8 items)
CPU
i7 4790k
Motherboard
Asus Z97 Maximus VII Hero
GPU
EVGA GTX 980 Classified
RAM
Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 2133mhz C9
Hard Drive
Kingston Hyper X M.2 240Gb SSD
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 1Tb SSD
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 850w G2
Case
Fractal Define R6 Blackout TG
▲ hide details ▲
post #827 of 2861 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 06:52 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

They do have variable input PSUs for car PCs. Those go up to 250W or so. Example. I don't know what kind of wall input it takes though.

Yeah, I've seen those. I'm just a bit worried about how they do. Awhile ago, JonnyGuru reviewed a few PicoPSUs and  tbh most of them did quite terrible. Not really the best type of PSUs to stress.

Just looked at Seasonic's TFX and 1U server power supplies along with the SX600-G and did a quick volume comparison. File attached below.

SFFPSU.txt 0k .txt file

The first PSU on the list is a 80+ Gold 300-350W 1U PSU. I don't think it has an 8-pin but it does have two 4-pin molex connectors. There are 2x4-pin Molex to 8-Pin adapters though so that shouldn't be too big of an issue. The SX600-G was actually smaller than I thought. The problem is that the PSU connectors are on the longer side of the PSU so that makes that a bit of an interesting case to work with. SFX and 1U (especially 1U) aren't going to go anywhere soon though so I'm not worried those two becoming obsolete. I don't know if servers use TFX to TFX's situation is a bit tricky. Also Seasonic's only 80+ gold unit only does 300-350W (more than good enough) but is also the largest of the bunch.

Attached Files
File Type: txt SFFPSU.txt (245 Bytes, 6 views)
post #828 of 2861 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 07:16 PM
New to Overclock.net

Made a quick revision to the .txt to make it a bit easier to read.

SFFPSU.txt 0k .txt file

Anyways, was looking at a few mITX motherboards and if we were to go with a SFX PSU we could probably put it on the right hand side where the 24-pin connector is located, with the connectors facing towards the motherboard. You'd probably need to make custom cables (good thing the SFX psus from Silverstone are modular) but this would end up being a case with a very small audience in the first place.

As for 1U units, the unit itself is already longer than a mITX board. It's not as tall though. The power connector placement is ridiculously awkward too since it would hit the GPU. This is if the 1U unit is also sitting at the right of the mITX board where the 24-pin is (it's awkward if its laid flat or on its side). I would probably switch the 1U unit to the top above the mITX board where the 8-pin is usually located. Standing it vertical so its 8.15cm tall allows for taller aftermarket coolers and would probably save a bit more space.

The problem w/ the SFX PSU is the need for a right angle extension so the 3-prong power connector ends up at the back of the case. You'd need to lengthen the case a bit more to fit the 3-prong right angle connector.

I was thinking about putting the SFX PSU at the top of the mITX board but some boards (*cough*Maximus VI Impact*cough*) have a daughterboard that would probably block some of the connectors.

Attached Files
File Type: txt SFFPSU.txt (321 Bytes, 8 views)
post #829 of 2861 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 07:34 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 72 (Unique: 66)
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridCore View Post

Yeah, I've seen those. I'm just a bit worried about how they do. Awhile ago, JonnyGuru reviewed a few PicoPSUs and  tbh most of them did quite terrible. Not really the best type of PSUs to stress.

The PSU that Cynical linked to is able to handle voltage drops down to 6V, likely for when the car is being cranked, or power being compromised by some electrical problem. A car's battery is 12.6 V at optimal charge. In theory you should be able to use a AC-DC 12V power supply as long as it supplies the current that's needed.
post #830 of 2861 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 09:19 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 30 (Unique: 21)
My name is Wanou.
I build a SFF using the EVGA Hadron Hydro case (18.21L).
Here is my log (still very early stage) : https://www.overclock.net/t/1487000/build-sff-rig-using-the-evga-hadron-hydrobuild-sff-rig-using-the-evga-hadron-hydro

I'm changing course in my build as I discover more options. If you have any suggestions let me know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in