[Build Log] Compact Splash #57 – "Atto" - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Build Log] Compact Splash #57 – "Atto"

post #1 of 117 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 3)

Compact Splash Build – Atto [Completed]

Welcome to the build log for my Compact Splash! It was a long, wild ride. This was my first attempt at watercooling, and it was anything but smooth. I've re-worked the loop twice, and had numerous leaks along the way. If I remember correctly, I had 3 separate leaks during the first fill, and 2 leaks after the first re-work of the loop, one serious (water on the GPU). And oh yeah, I dropped the whole thing in the sink during one of the drains, and broke three heavy ceramic plates. I'm lucky, everything's fine now, and I'm really proud of my little PC.

Updates

12/8 — I've just ordered the case. I was worried I wouldn't be able to get my hands on one; I was toward the bottom of the waiting list, and there were more people on the list than there were cases to go around. But I'm officially in!

12/11 — I decided to go with clear tubes and Mayhems Pastel White, instead of the black tubes. Also, the Compact Splash has shipped and will arrive in about a week! Unfortunately I'll be away from home for most of December, so most of the building will happen late December/early January.

12/30Finally back from visiting family. I've got all the watercooling parts, and the SSD. Changed up some of the parts I was planning on; I got an i7-4770K instead of the i5, and a 500GB EVO instead of 256GB Pro for the SSD. To make things easier I'm just going to link to my personal parts list instead of listing them out here.

1/2GPU waterblock installation.

1/8Build started, bad things happen, water pool on GPU.

1/9Build completed, pictures and things. Uncomfortable with the loop arrangement.

2/10Reworked the loop (again). Feeling much better about it now. It feels like a completed project, finally.

2/11Second leak onto the GPU PCB. With a picture, for science! Miracle GPU survives two water baths.

System Parts

Updated Parts List Here

My biggest hangup with the parts was my choice of motherboard. I couldn't decide between the Asus Maximus VI Impact or the EVGA Z87 Stinger. After weeks of going back and forth between the two, I've decided on the Stinger. The VI Impact does have extra features, but there are a number of problems. Bad driver support for the sound card, long POST time (>20 seconds!) and red accents that don't match my color scheme. I like the Stinger's BIOS more, too. Less options, but it'll be less overwhelming since I won't be overclocking too much. The PSU doesn't technically even support my GTX 780, so I'm pushing power limits as-is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3 of 117 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 10:50 AM
8.2 liters

Rep: 553 (Unique: 361)
Subbed! Good luck with your build biggrin.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 117 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 01:23 PM
./

Rep: 9 (Unique: 5)
post #5 of 117 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 01:45 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 17 (Unique: 12)
post #6 of 117 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 04:53 PM
New to Overclock.net

Location: Chittagong/Dhaka , Bangladesh + born in Dubai , U.A.E
Rep: 48 (Unique: 30)
post #7 of 117 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 05:36 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Subbed as well! biggrin.gif

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin and Hobbes
post #8 of 117 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 09:38 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 53 (Unique: 32)
Subbed cannot wait to see how this turns out! Hope ModDIY comes through for you like they did with me biggrin.gif Love seeing a trend of these cables appearing in the Compact Splashes!

"One mile of highway gets you one mile, one mile of runway gets you anywhere..."
()()
=(-,-)=
(")_(")
Snorkle.gifCOMPACT l SPLASH wave2.gif
w a t e r c o o l e d - c o r e - 1 0 0 0
c o m p a c t - s p l a s h - 0 0 8
post #9 of 117 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 01:42 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 16 (Unique: 14)
subbed!

Snorkle.gifCOMPACT l SPLASH wave2.gif

Build log (Discontinued): Old Gregg

Build log (Current): compact splash #21
post #10 of 117 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanscene View Post

subbed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturos View Post

Subbed as well! biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutfij View Post

Yep, defo subbed! biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclk View Post

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuubbbbbed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RggdLord View Post

Subbed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiSK View Post

Subbed! Good luck with your build biggrin.gif

Thanks for the interest everybody!
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfergolfer View Post

Subbed cannot wait to see how this turns out! Hope ModDIY comes through for you like they did with me biggrin.gif Love seeing a trend of these cables appearing in the Compact Splashes!

Thank you so much for answering all my cabling questions. Your help with the modDIY stuff is going to make building this thing so, so much easier. And your Compact Splash was the reason I got so interested in this case in the first place! If mine turns out looking half as good as yours, I'll be pleased.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in