Mini-DTX Hype Thread (ITX with two PCIe slots!) - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Mini-DTX Hype Thread (ITX with two PCIe slots!)

post #11 of 982 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 09:55 AM
Done

Rep: 260 (Unique: 203)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aibohphobia View Post

As cool as it would be I just don't see that happening. Both Asus and EVGA have said that while it should technically be possible it would be cost-prohibitive considering how small a market that would be and the amount of work that would be needed to develop it.

Socket 2011 is huge and wouldn't leave much room on the board for everything else, even on mini-DTX. Here's a mockup I made a while ago that really shows this.

Yeah I heard Jacob say they tried to do a x99 mitx but ran out of room for DIMM slots, which is why I thought of E-DTX (wider than DTX, like how E-ATX is wider than ATX) tongue.gif

Project mATX #003 | JP Artisan Advent (Prototype)
????
(15 items)
CPU
5775C (4.2)
Motherboard
VII Impact
GPU
1080Ti Hybrid
RAM
Ballistix LP 2x8GB (2133 9-10-9-24 T1)
Hard Drive
XP941 256GB
Hard Drive
Ultra II 960GB
Power Supply
Prime 650w
Cooling
D15
Case
FD Nano S
Operating System
Monitor
XB271HU
Keyboard
K-Type (Halo Clears, Cherry Stabs)
Mouse
G303
Mousepad
Artisan Hayate
Audio
Audioengine D1 + Beyer DT250/80 + Modmic 5
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 982 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 10:09 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 71 (Unique: 60)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetfeather View Post

Yeah I heard Jacob say they tried to do a x99 mitx but ran out of room for DIMM slots, which is why I thought of E-DTX (wider than DTX, like how E-ATX is wider than ATX) tongue.gif

But then it's even more of a niche market and you're not too far off from mATX at that point. tongue.gif

I'd rather see more really compact mATX cases that make use of SFX PSUs instead of non-standard form factors (I'm talking about E-Mini-DTX, I'm all for more Mini-DTX). I'm currently working on one but it'll be some time before it's ready but the Silverstone 600W is plenty capable of running a Haswell-E system and SLI 970s with modest overclocking so hopefully Silverstone does something like a smaller version of the SG09.

post #13 of 982 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 10:19 AM
Done

Rep: 260 (Unique: 203)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aibohphobia View Post

But then it's even more of a niche market and you're not too far off from mATX at that point. tongue.gif

I'd rather see more really compact mATX cases that make use of SFX PSUs instead of non-standard form factors (I'm talking about E-Mini-DTX, I'm all for more Mini-DTX). I'm currently working on one but it'll be some time before it's ready but the Silverstone 600W is plenty capable of running a Haswell-E system and SLI 970s with modest overclocking so hopefully Silverstone does something like a smaller version of the SG09.

Heh,

The biggest concern for me regarding mATX is the extra length of the board, rather than the width. After all, your GPU tends to hang past the side of mITX boards atm anyway. The obvious exception is cards with 170mm PCB's, but alas most mITX cases don't make great use of that width dimension anyways

I suppose I could be happy with DTX z97 too, but I'd rather see mobo manufacturers aim for the stars, rather than aim for the moon tongue.gif

Project mATX #003 | JP Artisan Advent (Prototype)
????
(15 items)
CPU
5775C (4.2)
Motherboard
VII Impact
GPU
1080Ti Hybrid
RAM
Ballistix LP 2x8GB (2133 9-10-9-24 T1)
Hard Drive
XP941 256GB
Hard Drive
Ultra II 960GB
Power Supply
Prime 650w
Cooling
D15
Case
FD Nano S
Operating System
Monitor
XB271HU
Keyboard
K-Type (Halo Clears, Cherry Stabs)
Mouse
G303
Mousepad
Artisan Hayate
Audio
Audioengine D1 + Beyer DT250/80 + Modmic 5
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 982 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 10:35 AM
Irregular

Rep: 33 (Unique: 32)
I'd use this for my next build provided I could find a single slot GPU(or if cases were made with 3 expansion slots.)

post #15 of 982 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 10:36 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 71 (Unique: 60)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetfeather View Post

I suppose I could be happy with DTX z97 too, but I'd rather see mobo manufacturers aim for the stars, rather than aim for the moon tongue.gif

If we're talking really out there stuff I'd like to see mini-BTX become a thing, either that or support for Nvidia's NVLink.

post #16 of 982 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 11:04 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 29 (Unique: 22)
Yeah I would love to see some mDTX boards, too!

One application that I have in mind is using a hardware encoding capture card in a SFF or even uSFF build. As these are great for LAN parties, and quite a few people like to record footage from their PCs, it could be a viable option to specialize the build by using a capture capture card to nearly annihilate the frame drops when recording instead of using a high performance and energy consuming CPU to merely lower them.

Also, high end HTPCs could use TV tuner cards and a dedicated GPU, which would be awesome.
post #17 of 982 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 209 (Unique: 161)
Good points so far everyone!

As far as X99 on mITX/mDTX, I would love that, but I fear it's just not feasable. Shuttle did it with X79 on one of their form factor boards (which are very similar to full DTX):

A Mini-DTX X99 would be epic though, even if it was only dual channel SODIMMs. I hope one day we can look at full DTX LGA2011-3 boards, but they will break compatibility with some cases.

And again, for those who favor a dual slot/air cooled card, you don't have to use the extra slot. thumb.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyp36rmax View Post

This is interesting as DTX only has one full PCIe lane to accommodate a single GPU at this time leaving the Short PCIe for an expansion slot for a dedicated Audio card, SSD, or smaller Add-on card.
My example picture showed a board with an x16 and an x1 slot, but that doesn't have to be the case (and indeed, if I could find a picture of a Mini-DTX board with two x16 slots I wouldn't have made this thread.)

Why do we mount round fans on square radiators?

post #18 of 982 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 01:03 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 121 (Unique: 94)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Poindexter View Post

(and indeed, if I could find a picture of a Mini-DTX board with two x16 slots I wouldn't have made this thread.)

Hi there! biggrin.gif

This is an old render from the Z77 days.

All credit for the render goes to Confusis from sffr.

post #19 of 982 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 209 (Unique: 161)
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourcore9brker View Post

Hi there! biggrin.gif

This is an old render from the Z77 days.

See, something like that would be awesome to have!

Why do we mount round fans on square radiators?

post #20 of 982 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 01:13 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 29 (Unique: 22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourcore9brker View Post

This is an old render from the Z77 days. Warning: Render! (Click to show)

I think @Dyson Poindexter meant if he could find a picture of a real mDTX board with two x16 slots, he would've bought that and been happy ever after without a need to open this thread which aims to counteract the lack of exactly those boards.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in