Alienware Alpha Owners Club! - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Alienware Alpha Owners Club!

post #11 of 2168 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 04:15 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
IMO go no more then a S suffix if not a T, those are 45w (T) and 65w (S) chips for the i5/i7sqv7BB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 2168 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by berva View Post

Well from what Alex is saying, the cpu will be limited in performance due to the PSU W, so it should still work fine, waiting on him to reply.

On the i7 4790K he tested the power supply limited the CPU on heavy load. Just need confirmation that this is the case.

My experience has been that the CPU is limited in cases where it requires 100% load on high wattage parts. The CPU/Mobo automatically adjusts clocks to account for the lack of wattage it seems. On the 4790K it only dropped to about 2.6ghz and was perfectly stable. I don't remember the exact ghz that the 4690 ran at under load....

Remember: that was the clockspeed only really dropped when under 100% load; in this case Prime95.

Thanks!
Alex

post #13 of 2168 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 08:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 33 (Unique: 31)
Can someone with the alpha post some specs and part numbers on the psu? I want to see if its possible to swap up to the 240 watt (alienware 17) or the 330 watt (alienware x51 and 18)

Im thinking that its using the same psu as the alienware 14/13 inch models... so I think it should be pretty straight forward switch over to get alot more power.... the 240watt should be plenty for any cpu you could fit in there.

thumb.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 2168 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 02:51 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejohnson View Post

Can someone with the alpha post some specs and part numbers on the psu? I want to see if its possible to swap up to the 240 watt (alienware 17) or the 330 watt (alienware x51 and 18)

Im thinking that its using the same psu as the alienware 14/13 inch models... so I think it should be pretty straight forward switch over to get alot more power.... the 240watt should be plenty for any cpu you could fit in there.

I don't think that the brick is the only limiting factor... like in the X51 there will be some kind of DC-DC power distribution system, which also has a limit to how many watts it can distribute.

My guess is that the Alpha's power board is a bit more limited than the X51's.
post #15 of 2168 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 03:38 PM
New to Overclock.net

True, maybe if someone could get me some pictures of the board... Im guessing this pretty close to the alienware 13 in terms of power convertion.

I don't yet want to get a alpha of my own since I don't have a place for it.

thumb.gif
post #16 of 2168 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 05:09 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Which kind of GPU they use for Alpha? Didn't find any info at their webside except the "Alpha chassis with NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX GPU 2GB GDDR5"
post #17 of 2168 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 05:22 AM
New to Overclock.net

The alpha is using a 860m 2gb right now, Its a soldered on laptop gpu. In the future alienware will swap it out for some 900 series card.
The cpu is a standard socket cpu that can be swapped out.

thumb.gif
post #18 of 2168 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 06:21 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Yup, the Maxwell version of the card. Roughly equivalent to a GTX 750 ti
post #19 of 2168 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 06:26 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
If your interested here are the newest GPU drivers for the Alpha posted by the alienware Community Mangier should give some extra performance and optimization.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7l4jiapvvcpr1o5/Win8.1Win8Win7_x64_HDA(344.75).exe?dl=0

was posted 7 days ago on reditt just that link was expired.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Alienware/comments/2mx01l/alienware_alpha/

I also encourage people to install an SSD drive and 8Gb of ram you can download windows 8.1 64 bit and all the Alpha drivers needed from that Reddit page linking you to dell support page for bios and etc windows 8.1 will activate by its self once bios is installed again.

the reason i say 8gb is needed is due to the system and os taking much of the 4gb making some games lag and have extreme slow downs after quitting exe.

Old optimized game Scarcraft 2 ran like ass with 4gb on this system switched to 8gb 60fps same goes with the stock 5400rpm hdd its slow and it gets overloaded alot.
post #20 of 2168 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 07:16 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 69 (Unique: 67)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACIDTITAN View Post

If your interested here are the newest GPU drivers for the Alpha posted by the alienware Community Mangier should give some extra performance and optimization.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7l4jiapvvcpr1o5/Win8.1Win8Win7_x64_HDA(344.75).exe?dl=0

was posted 7 days ago on reditt just that link was expired.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Alienware/comments/2mx01l/alienware_alpha/

I also encourage people to install an SSD drive and 8Gb of ram you can download windows 8.1 64 bit and all the Alpha drivers needed from that Reddit page linking you to dell support page for bios and etc windows 8.1 will activate by its self once bios is installed again.

the reason i say 8gb is needed is due to the system and os taking much of the 4gb making some games lag and have extreme slow downs after quitting exe.

Old optimized game Scarcraft 2 ran like ass with 4gb on this system switched to 8gb 60fps same goes with the stock 5400rpm hdd its slow and it gets overloaded alot.

^ agreed. Use the 500gb drive as external storage or sell it. Both the ram and hdd are easy upgrades.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in