Alienware Alpha Owners Club! - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Alienware Alpha Owners Club!

post #21 of 2168 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 08:11 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Just an update on my impressions

i3 i5 i7 dont make much of a difference in games or general desktop performance.

HDD is very slow sometimes stalling on basic tasks not made for multitasking overloading and crashing is possible

4gb ram is not recommended for General Desktop use for long periods of time *Slow Downs"

Gtx 860m or modified is more suited for 720-900p for todays AAA Games its pretty impossible to stay at 60 even on lowest settings 1080p

It is defiantly more efficient than any laptop with 860m the overall system is very quite even at full load for hours and doesn't get very hot

It is possible to get WIFI interference of you have multiple devices connected example mouse or keyboard dongle can effect signal.

Im happy with it in such a small form factor still wishing it had an option for better GPU.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 2168 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 03:09 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Any idea whether the Alphas board can handle faster RAM? Or is it limited to 1600?

Good to know not much difference between CPUs as I managed to get an i3 for just £340! pretty happy, apart from the wait frown.gif
post #23 of 2168 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 03:57 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuthaBuffer View Post

Any idea whether the Alphas board can handle faster RAM? Or is it limited to 1600?

Good to know not much difference between CPUs as I managed to get an i3 for just £340! pretty happy, apart from the wait frown.gif

RAM is limited to 1600 up to 16GB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 2168 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 01:26 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 2)
I picked up the base model. I like the unit, was almost going to return it due to low performance. Then, after reading an article that mentioned the new driver; I tried that. I'm much happier. I think I'm going to keep it now and swap out the HDD for an SSD and pick up another 4GB Ram stick to put in the unit. I doubt I will do a processor upgrade anytime soon. I bought it more for a SFF desktop for school work and web surfing, with capabilities to play games. Most of my gaming will be in my man cave on my PS4. If I eventually decide to do more PC gaming, I'll build me a full gaming system and make this into my Media Streamer / XBMC box.

Gaming Rig:
* MSI Z97A Gaming 6 - i7 4790k, 16GB Ram, 256GB SSD, MSI GTX 970, (3) Asus VG248QE
* Xbox One Controller, Steam Controller, Logitech G27
* AudioEngine A2+ Speakers w/8" Sub
* Xbox Stereo Headset, Philips SHP9500 w/V-Moda Mic, Heir Audio 4A, Oppo PM-3 w/Oppo HA-2

Media Rig:
* Alienware Alpha i3-4130T, 8GB Ram, 500GB HDD, (2) Xbox 360 Controllers, Wii Remote & Nunchuck
* Sharp 50" HDTV - Samsung Soundbar w/sub
* Synology NAS for Media
post #25 of 2168 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 02:54 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayTooCrazy View Post

I picked up the base model. I like the unit, was almost going to return it due to low performance. Then, after reading an article that mentioned the new driver; I tried that. I'm much happier. I think I'm going to keep it now and swap out the HDD for an SSD and pick up another 4GB Ram stick to put in the unit. I doubt I will do a processor upgrade anytime soon. I bought it more for a SFF desktop for school work and web surfing, with capabilities to play games. Most of my gaming will be in my man cave on my PS4. If I eventually decide to do more PC gaming, I'll build me a full gaming system and make this into my Media Streamer / XBMC box.

I have noticed quite a bit of a jump in performance since I updated the CPU from the base i3 model to an i5 4690 to be honest. 8GB RAM is definitely also required but the jump to the 4 core CPU has definitely made a big impact.

I also purchased the base model and have put in an additional 4GB (came with a single 4GB memory card) and updated the CPU to the i5.
post #26 of 2168 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 03:42 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 33 (Unique: 31)
The alpha is the perfect computer for a WD black2 dual drive!
You get a 120gb ssd and as 1tb hdd for games

thumb.gif
post #27 of 2168 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 05:46 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejohnson View Post

The alpha is the perfect computer for a WD black2 dual drive!
You get a 120gb ssd and as 1tb hdd for games

The concept of the drive sounds awesome! The lackluster reviews will keep me away for the time being. I think I'll toss in a 240GB SSD and put the stock drive in a USB 3.0 housing and hang it off the back for Steam games.

Gaming Rig:
* MSI Z97A Gaming 6 - i7 4790k, 16GB Ram, 256GB SSD, MSI GTX 970, (3) Asus VG248QE
* Xbox Stereo Headset, Philips SHP9500 w/V-Moda Mic, Heir Audio 4A, Oppo PM-3 w/Oppo HA-2

Media Rig:
* Alienware Alpha i3-4130T, 8GB Ram, 500GB HDD, (2) Xbox 360 Controllers, Wii Remote & Nunchuck
* Synology NAS for Media
post #28 of 2168 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 05:48 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by berva View Post

I have noticed quite a bit of a jump in performance since I updated the CPU from the base i3 model to an i5 4690 to be honest.

Which 4690 did you go with? Any thermal throttling?

Gaming Rig:

Media Rig:
* Synology NAS for Media
post #29 of 2168 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 09:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayTooCrazy View Post

Which 4690 did you go with? Any thermal throttling?

Using Intel® Core™ i5-4690 Processor
(6M Cache, up to 3.90 GHz)

haven't noticed any thermal issues at all. Even though the CPU is 85W (max) any Haswell CPU is compatible with the Alpha.

On high load it may throttle the throughput of the CPU, however I have noticed no such slowdown and tested heavily over the weekend.

What I have noticed is a major improvement in performance as well as a significant increase in frame rate in games like Crysis 3 and The Witcher 2 (Enhanced Edition)

Highly recommend swapping out the stock i3 CPU and again ANY Haswell CPU confirmed to be working just fine, regardless of Wattage.

85W TDP is the max setting, never really runs at that, especially when gaming as the GPU does most of the work as we all know.
post #30 of 2168 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 11:45 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by berva View Post

Using Intel® Core™ i5-4690 Processor
(6M Cache, up to 3.90 GHz)

haven't noticed any thermal issues at all. Even though the CPU is 85W (max) any Haswell CPU is compatible with the Alpha.

On high load it may throttle the throughput of the CPU, however I have noticed no such slowdown and tested heavily over the weekend.

What I have noticed is a major improvement in performance as well as a significant increase in frame rate in games like Crysis 3 and The Witcher 2 (Enhanced Edition)

Highly recommend swapping out the stock i3 CPU and again ANY Haswell CPU confirmed to be working just fine, regardless of Wattage.

85W TDP is the max setting, never really runs at that, especially when gaming as the GPU does most of the work as we all know.

Really? That kinda goes against what people like Acidtitan have been saying. What kind of increases are we talking about?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in