Today I wanted to address a few nagging issues:
- I found that it is impossible to buy an original fan-shroud for my radiator, or even just a fan-grill!! So I have to make one. I'll try to design one that can act as a pump-Mount.
- I still havn't decided on pump or reservoir placement
- I want to take action on an idea I've had to hide the rear IO ports with some black acrylic plate. It needs to act as a pump-Mount as well. The IO-shield, will function as an actual shield, as I will put EMI/EMC shielding tape on the backside of it.
So, that was a lot actually. The first part here will show some of my thoughts on these issues, as they presents themselves in Sketchup.Theory
In the first image I have depicted the fan-shroud and a pump located on it.
The second image shows the IO-shield/pump-Mount combo, and the
Third image shows a frontal (side) view of the computer, displaying how the IO-ports will be hidden behind the black acrylic.
One of my issues are that the pumps seems MASSIVE here in sketchup, but not so when I put the pump in. It must be something to with depth-perception or something, so I really have to do some testing of the actual hardware in the case.Preparing items
Here I have already drawn up the fan-shroudh and show up needed tools. The yellow "thing" (don't know English Word) is for making straight cuts with my knife. In later phots you will see I use a large metal ruler instead.
And so you might ask what do I do with a knife? I use the ruler as a guide to cut about a 0,5mm cut along the break-lines.Breaking the acrylic using hands (controlled)
The first images shows a cut I made to break off some excess material.
The second image shows how I lined the cut up with the edge of my table, which is really nice for these kinds of things, as it has a very Sharp Aluminum edge.
The third image shows how it breaks nicely when pressure is Applied.
I have mounted the acrylic to the table as you can see.Strap it Down tight
If you don't want to risk a finger or just a stray cut over the acrylic, you might want to use some tools (?) to hold the ruler down, as showin in image 1.
The second image shows how I have attached my 2 wrenches (?) and use them for much better leverage than just by hands,Error, stray cut
Here you can see how I accidentially cut a stray line, and sure enough, the break followed suit.Drilling and cutting
Drilling and cutting acrylic really isn't that hard, you just need to take it slow.
First you see the tools I'm going to use: a 2mm drill to make the first guidehole. a 4mm drill to enlarge the hole enough for the large 20mm drill to get in place. I use the 20mm to get a nice big hole for the actual cutting blade. Here I use one for metal. You can get special blades for acrylic, but mine is still in the mail somewhere...
Ohh, the drills are metal drills
as Wood-drills would rapidly carve its way down and crack the plate
. Even though you use metal-drill bits you still have to hold it off some, or you might crack the plate anyway. You need the drill to scrape away
material, not cut away
material. There is a difference, and it is
As you might be able to see, I only drill part way through with the 20mm drill. As soon as it starts scraping the acrylic with the level plane between the "teeth", I stop drilling from that side. I do the rest of the way from the opposit side to minimize the risk of fracturing the acrylic plate.
Cutting/sawing: when sawing in acrylic is is very important to do it on a stable surface. To minimize the flexing I only left a gap large enough for my saw-blade, as you can see in the last image.Done
As the Sharp reader might notice, there is an inconsistency between my sketchup fan-shroud and the actual one I made. It's because I did some adjustments afterwards to allow for the 24pin cable which I forgot in the first go...
The two smaller pieces are going to be the left hand IO-shield and pump-combo.
Tomorrow I'll get my hands on a heat-gun and start bending the materials to be useable - at least I hope I find the time to do so.
Ohh, the clear acrylic here are just scraps I had. I'm going to use black 3mm and 5mm acrylic instead