[Build Log] Lone Industries L3 (4.5L itx) - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Build Log] Lone Industries L3 (4.5L itx)

post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 13 (Unique: 10)

Hello everyone this is my build log in the perfect case for me ( i would like it to be little wider, more options for short standard width gpu`s), i've been waiting for it a long time now ever since i found the L2 but i was too late for the orders.
Then James ( Lone Industries) decided to make new revision of the previous L1 and L2 combining them in to one and the L3 was born. Big thank you to him for making it happen smile.gif.

I will be using the following components:
Case - Lone Industries L3
Mobo - ASUS H87I-PLUS
CPU - Intel Pentium G3258
GPU - KFA2 GTX 750Ti OC low profile
Ram - Corsair Vengeance LP black 8gb
Cooling - Noctua NH-L12 (92mm fan only)
SSD - Crucial BX100 250GB
PSU - HDPLEX 160W
Power brick - HP 180W 19V 9.5A

More info about the case bellow and at https://loneindustries.com/ L3 specs (Click to show)

Specs

Motherboard Compatibility
Mini-ITX

Power Supply Compatibility
Mini-box PicoPSU or similar

CPU Clearance
74 mm height (maximum)

Drive Bays
2x internal 2.5 inch

Expansion Slots
1x low profile (cover not included)

Fan Mounts
1x 80 mm (bottom)

Power button
Black anodized aluminum (rear)

Colours
Anodized Black, Grey, Silver

Accessories
Extra Side Panel (non-vented)

Dimensions
215 x 95 x 221 mm (plus 10 mm case feet)

Weight
0.7 kg (1.5 lb)

Construction
1.6 mm anodized aluminum
Made in Canada

FAQ

What CPU coolers do you recommend for the L3?

Below is a list of some common top down CPU coolers that will fit in the L3.
Thermalright AXP100
Prolimatech Samuel 17
Noctua NH-L12 (single fan mode)
Noctua NH-9x65
Noctua NH-9L
Deepcool Gamer Storm Gabriel

Will the Cryorig C1 CPU cooler fit in the L3?
Yes, but with very little clearance. The C1 fan is placed right next to the vented side panel, and may cause increased fan noise, especially at higher fan speeds. In addition, when positioned towards the front of the L3, the C1 may interfere with 2.5 inch drive mounting.

Will the HDPLEX 160W/250W power supply work in the L3?
The HDPLEX 160W has been used in the L1, L2, and L3. It can be mounted to the inside front of the L3 using double sided thermal tape. Build difficulty is higher compared to a PicoPSU. The HDPLEX 250W prevents mounting 2.5 inch internal drives.

What graphics cards will fit in the L3?
Almost any low profile form factor video card will fit, as long as it comes with a single slot low profile bracket. When not using the 80 mm bottom fan mount, the L3 also has enough clearance for video cards with oversize/dual width coolers. There's 12 mm clearance remaining with a dual width card such as the MSI N750TI-2GD5TLP, or Zotac ZT-70606-10M.

Where's the power button and front USB ports?
The power button is located at the back, and there are no front USB ports. This keeps with the simple goals of the L3, and allows flexibility to use an HDPLEX PSU. This generally isn't an issue due to the small size of the L3, and promotes getting up and moving around. However, if your application requires easier access to USB ports, some options include using a USB extension cable, USB hub, or a monitor with USB ports.

What screws does the L3 use?
The L3 primarily uses M3 screws, with #6-32 screws used for the motherboard standoffs. Both M3 and #6-32 are common computer screw sizes. M3 and #6-32 socket sizes are 2 mm and 5/64" (1.98 mm).

Where do the case feet go?
In the standard vertical orientation as pictured above, the case feet are placed on the bottom, in line with the side panel screws (14.9 mm from the front or back of the case), and as far outward as possible to provide stability. The L3 may be used in a number of different orientations, but it's important to use the case feet to provide the necessary clearance to prevent blocking the vents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 12:45 AM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 01:05 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 45 (Unique: 41)
Im in.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I put the system together to see how it fits, getting the hdplex inside is a pita if the cooler is installed the proper way that`s why it`s like that for now, i decided to test the temps like this first and with the pipe`s up it raised the idle temp on core one with around 3/4 C.
Kinda regret not buying a pico also the hdplex has white connectors and rainbow colors for the cables i will dye the connector and sleeve the cables, the power cable`s is in the way of the sata connector notch and this prevents it to go in all the way, also the 24pin on the psu side is very tight and i had to use a flat head screw driver to push it out.
I expect the dye and double sided adhesive thermal pad`s any day now so i can start on the cables. For the 750ti i plan on buying it next week maybe.
Got some 3,4 and 6mm ebay sleeving

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 12:09 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 30 (Unique: 21)
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangur View Post

Im in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by francisco9751 View Post

subb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanou View Post

Sub, have fun.
thanks smile.gif
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Small update:
I have ordered the KFA2 GTX 750Ti OC it will arrive in 2 weeks, today i got new ssd, im still waiting for the dye its the one thing preventing me from sleeving the cables and putting the system together..

old gtx 9800 for size comparison
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 03:03 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 4)
subbed!

I'm actually a Nvidia fanboy, Fury X hype was too stronk.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Update:
The build is 99% done, i got the 750ti the other day its a nice card the only problem is that the fan is little noise and cant go below 40%, i never received the dye but got a refund for that i will order from somewhere else and do the cables, i decided to only dye them no sleeving cos of the little space it will be even more hard to work, will do that at some point but for now its finished. Also i may get the silverstone fw121 to replace the noctua 92mm which is having hard time cooling the cpu in this small case.
Here are some pics, temps and power draw while playing GTA V, the cpu is oc to 4ghz at 1.15v gpu is stock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in