SFF/uSFF Dual CPU's - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

SFF/uSFF Dual CPU's

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 05:57 AM
Canada Goose Puncher
 
CynicalUnicorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Extra-west Virginia
Posts: 9,102
It's too bad Nvidia stopped making dual GPU cards. They have a couple Teslas, but no GeForces or even Quadros.

Fortunately, AMD has finally realized that stacked DVI ports on a reference GPU are terrible and that dual GPUs have their niche. Therefore, a couple Fury X2s should work just fine with full-cover blocks. Assuming the motherboard has no more and no less than two PCIe slots of course.

Dual CPUs on the other hand are a bit pointless for gaming. You aren't going to see the biggest of gains and the game might not even work once HyperTransport or QPI get involved. Take a look at Amdahl's Law. I've done and wanted to do a lot of stupid things to a system, but two sockets in a gaming rig is not it. wink.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by TheBadBull View Post
someone sig this


CynicalUnicorn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 04:45 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
akromatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,647
Rep: 100 (Unique: 78)
but......what if you are a streamer and wanna edit and upload gameplay on youtube etc. having 12c/24t would be beneficial

as for dual GPU fury x2 isnt out yet but we could get our hands on the 390x2.

honestly if i can get my hands on that supermicro board i'd so do it afterall those 1366 xeon hex cores are so cheap now and im sure there is a bunch of ecc ddr3 being thrown out along with the rest of 1366 stuff.

akromatic is offline  
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 05:10 PM
Canada Goose Puncher
 
CynicalUnicorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Extra-west Virginia
Posts: 9,102
To some extent, sure, more cores are beneficial. But you're so much better off with a single CPU like a 5820K or 5960X (or Xeon equivalent, though the 5820K's price can't be beaten thanks to its gimped PCIe bus that no Xeons have) for a number of reasons, a big one being compatibility. Some games just break with multiple CPUs installed.

Also it's not like you can't have 12 cores in one CPU. "But 24C/48T would be beneficial!" Sure, but the returns diminish with each core. Programs are not 100% parallel, and in some cases you might get negative scaling with even more cores.

The SM board I linked? It or some variant is ~$60. Same deal with an X5650. $200 gets you twelve hyperthreaded cores and a board to hold them. You can get a good deal of el cheapo DDR3 for not a whole lot. Or just buy three dual-channel kits or something. The Shoebox Server with the HAF Stacker should end up around $400-500 for a complete system, plus some elbow grease.

Quote: Originally Posted by TheBadBull View Post
someone sig this


CynicalUnicorn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 02:35 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
akromatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,647
Rep: 100 (Unique: 78)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalUnicorn View Post

To some extent, sure, more cores are beneficial. But you're so much better off with a single CPU like a 5820K or 5960X (or Xeon equivalent, though the 5820K's price can't be beaten thanks to its gimped PCIe bus that no Xeons have) for a number of reasons, a big one being compatibility. Some games just break with multiple CPUs installed.

Also it's not like you can't have 12 cores in one CPU. "But 24C/48T would be beneficial!" Sure, but the returns diminish with each core. Programs are not 100% parallel, and in some cases you might get negative scaling with even more cores.

The SM board I linked? It or some variant is ~$60. Same deal with an X5650. $200 gets you twelve hyperthreaded cores and a board to hold them. You can get a good deal of el cheapo DDR3 for not a whole lot. Or just buy three dual-channel kits or something. The Shoebox Server with the HAF Stacker should end up around $400-500 for a complete system, plus some elbow grease.

price and bragging rights would be the thing.

1366 gear is just dirt cheap. you can get dual hex cores + board cheaper then a 5820k but sure you can get more performance from a 18 core xeon.

then again who wouldnt want a dual CPU SFF box and be the next unobtainium build. i just want to do it because i can and not because i need to but at the end of the day i can still use it as a server and more if not gaming.

btw where do you find those used SM boards? checking ebay and im not getting any results

akromatic is offline  
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 06:17 AM
Canada Goose Puncher
 
CynicalUnicorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Extra-west Virginia
Posts: 9,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by akromatic View Post

btw where do you find those used SM boards? checking ebay and im not getting any results

Don't search for the full model number with the -HF suffix or whatever it was. Just "X8DTT" will do. Same deal with the AMD board. Only "H8DGT" is needed. thumb.gif

Quote:
price and bragging rights would be the thing.

1366 gear is just dirt cheap. you can get dual hex cores + board cheaper then a 5820k but sure you can get more performance from a 18 core xeon.

then again who wouldnt want a dual CPU SFF box and be the next unobtainium build. i just want to do it because i can and not because i need to but at the end of the day i can still use it as a server and more if not gaming.

Eh, I'll give you that. Epeen is a great driving force in the industry. tongue.gif

Ooh, I thought you meant Haswell when I first read that. Yeah, in that case I think a 10-core Xeon would be enough to beat them clock-for-clock. The biggest issue Westmere-EP has is that's it's just old. PCIe 2.0 from the CPU and chipset, SATA II only, no native support for USB 3.0 at all, and some other things. CPU is still pretty good - I don't think AMD has matched it yet even with Carrizo - but the platform is just kinda eh. And it's especially bad since Skylake has come out. More than three times the PCIe lanes from the chipset and they're a generation newer, SATA Express support, USB 3.1 support, DDR4, and so on. It's one or two revisions ahead in every interconnect.

That said if you don't really need newer instruction sets, if you don't really need any super fancy I/O, and if you just want to play with a 2P system. Sure, go for it! I'm not entirely sure what use you'll find for it, but you can always see how well it handles BOINC or [email protected]

Quote: Originally Posted by TheBadBull View Post
someone sig this


CynicalUnicorn is offline  
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 02:39 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
veryrarium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Saitama, JP
Posts: 83
Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiretap View Post

I was browsing through some of my old archived pictures from back in 2004, and I came across a dual CPU machine crammed into a shuttle sized computer. It was the IWill ZMAXdp and IWill ZMAXd2. Does anyone remember this?
So, that leads me to wonder.. were there ever any dual CPU small form-factor systems like this ever produced afterwards, because I can't recall any.
I don't know if this fits into your definition of SFF but someone named Caffreys used a 10"x10" DP Xeon board

in his Silverstone SG04-FH (25.0L w/o handle) five years ago:

There was a 9.6"x10" DP Xeon board as well.

I think similarly sized DP boards for Xeon E5-26xx v1/v2 or for v3 with two PCIe 3.0 x8 slots are doable and would be nice if Supermicro or other server board makers made one.
veryrarium is offline  
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 07:10 AM
Cyberpunk & Mainframes
 
TheBloodEagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 1,462
Rep: 45 (Unique: 41)
I would love this! But it's even rare to have it in ATX form factor; which is strange since CPU are getting lower and lower powered and now there are some amazing SoC's available. I would love to have an SFF 2P Xeon D-1540 or Avaton server.

Corsair Graphite Club
Currently playing: War Thunder, Kerbal Space Program & Planetside 2
TheBloodEagle is offline  
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 08:06 AM
Canada Goose Puncher
 
CynicalUnicorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Extra-west Virginia
Posts: 9,102
Problem: Avoton and Broadwell-DE don't have QPI links. That's what intel uses for chip to chip interconnects. Adding them would increase complexity by a bit, and those low-power chips just aren't intended for that role. You'll want a multi-socket E5 L.

Quote: Originally Posted by TheBadBull View Post
someone sig this


CynicalUnicorn is offline  
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
wiretap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 256
Rep: 17 (Unique: 14)
Multi-year necro bump.. I finally found the IWILL ZMAXDP and picked it up for under $50, like new! Still looking for the ZMAXD2.







wiretap is offline  
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 08:06 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
cdoublejj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: MO, USA
Posts: 10,374
Rep: 240 (Unique: 200)
Quote: Originally Posted by wiretap View Post
Multi-year necro bump.. I finally found the IWILL ZMAXDP and picked it up for under $50, like new! Still looking for the ZMAXD2.







NICE!

Alienware M17x-R4
(18 items)
Core 2 Haf
(12 items)
CPU
i7-3920XM
GPU
GTX980M
RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB Model F3-1866C10Q-32GRSL
Hard Drive
Samsung SSD 850 EVO mSATA 1TB
Hard Drive
WD Blue 5400 RPM 1TB
Hard Drive
ODD Conversion w/ White Label 2TB
Hard Drive
Empty / Free Bay
Optical Drive
Converted External USB
Power Supply
Dell 330 Watt Brick
Cooling
M14x R2 10 CFM CPU fan
Cooling
Liquid Metal Pro
Operating System
Windows 10 /w Telemetry Block
Monitor
1080p 120Hz eDP
Monitor
Sony FW900 @ 2304 x 1440 @ 80hz
Keyboard
Saitek Eclipse I
Mouse
Logitech G500s
Other
Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 w/ BT
Other
iGPU disable / bypass
CPU
Q8002S
GPU
GTX 750 Ti
RAM
DDR2 800 Kingston
CPU
C2Q Q9550
Motherboard
ASUS P5E3 Deluxe Wifi-AP
GPU
EVGA GTX 770 4GB Classified
RAM
Kingston HyperX DDR3 KHX1600C9D3K2/8G
RAM
PNY 1333
Hard Drive
55gb, 320Gb, 500GB, 1TB
Power Supply
TX750
Cooling
Corsair H80
Case
Haf 912
Operating System
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
Operating System
Lubuntu 16.04 x64
Monitor
Dual 1600x1200 Dell m993s @ 70hz
▲ hide details ▲
cdoublejj is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off