[Build Log] 30.0L Case Mod Corsair R330 ATX into mITX - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Build Log] 30.0L Case Mod Corsair R330 ATX into mITX

post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 276 (Unique: 256)
OK guys. I've had the itch for awhile to get a new case but I don't think that'll happen... However, my current case is the corsair R330 case. It's a pretty large full size atx case. I have a z77 itx motherboard with the trusty i5-2500k and a strix gtx970 with 2 h60 coolers with 240 rads. I've got 3 SSDs and a 750w psu. I've got tons of room in the case. I've had thoughts lately that I can cut the size of the case down. I'm wondering how much of a task this will be?

I'm basically taking off about 3-4 inches from the height and another 3-4 inches from the length. What do you guys think?
I don't have a dremel but I could ask for one for Christmas. I do have cutting wheels for metal so I can chop things up quite easily. I would imagine I'd keep the original holes from the riveting and replace them with bolts. Anywhere else I would create a slip connection and attach them with bolts again.

I'm traveling so no pictures yet...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 08:04 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 23 (Unique: 22)
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by frack0 View Post

Check this one out similar to what you're wanting to do.

https://www.overclock.net/t/541767/club-for-those-with-beastly-matx-itx-rigs/12200_100#post_24612847

Awesome! Thanks for the link. So it can be done and it has been done. I'm basically removing the extra slot space in the case and also removing all the area that the drive Bay takes up. I'll be working on how I will mount the fan controller and the SSDs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

So I'm planning on dropping the case height down to remove all but 3 pci slots. Then the depth will be about 380mm in order to fit the rad and a full size gtx970 strix.

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

So I'm back home taking a look at the case... Looks like I'll be taking off 4.5" from the depth and about 3" from the height. It should definitely make a huge difference with my case on the desk. For the most part, it should be very easy to cut the depth down on the case...the height is a different story. I'm most likely going to have to cut the case where the PCIE slots are as to keep the PSU bracket and everything else, should make for some interesting cutting.... Stay tuned!

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

OK..progress update:

Here's what I'm planning:
This is not my case its just a stock image of the case with the PC components in it:

I'm taking the depth of the case in about 4" so it will end up looking something like this when its all done:

Current state:
I really need to fix the Rad openings badly. Without a dremel its been pretty much impossible. I'm planning on getting this fixed once I get the dremel and I'll match up new holes for the mount. I also plan on adding some more sound dampening foam to the sides so it looks way better without those holes...

I'm also planning on fixing up my GPU cooler bracket. It's sagging right now and doesn't look so great, its just a functional piece. I'll make sure that's much better by the time I'm getting things modded. I also need to fix the GPU power cord sleeving and get rid of that nasty red power connector.

Basically I'm getting rid of all 4" or so of the front of the case. I'm keeping the front panel face so I'm drilling out all the rivots to replace once the case is cut down.

I'm also planning on moving the fan controller and all my SSDs to the bottom of the case. Hopefully I can hard mount those and tidy up all those cables too.

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 12:54 PM
No more emoji texts :(

I suggested this quite a while back. I still want to do it with my Define R4.

https://www.overclock.net/t/1552580/this-is-a-first

| Last Review : Noblechairs Icon | Overclock.net Facebook, Twitter and YouTube | Builds In Progress [The AORUS] [The POS] |

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 10:19 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 61 (Unique: 53)
nice ideas bro..willlook sweet when done
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

So I cut out the optical drive Bay this morning. All the rivets are out also so it should be quite easy to cut the area for the rad and remount the front after I cut the depth of the case down. I'm currently trying to measure exactly how much I can remove with using the stock cooler for my gpu and my rad. I'm hoping one day to up to a 360 or 420 rad.

Edit:

Here's the pictures. They should be a little better this time around. Got the real camera out...

More to follow! I might scratch what I have currently on the front of the case and opt for an entirely new piece of sheet metal and just cut that.

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

I'm debating how I'd like to mount the radiator for my gpu. I need some help. I have 2 options.

Option 1:
Leave the radiator exactly where it is and create a new metal front bracket for it. This is by far the easiest solution which would allow me to eventually upgrade the rad to a 360 some day if I wanted. The one downside is that it prevents me from closing the front panel due to expelling the heat. It also would only allow me to reduce the size of the case by about 3.5" deep.

Option 2:
I actually can mount the rad just below the gfx card. This is a pretty cool idea but will require some heavy modifications. I'll need to build a mount for the radiator since it doesn't sit there by itself. This would also give me about 3 additional inches to cut down from the case. So I would really be able to make the case smaller which is the plan but I believe I will have slightly worse temperatures and the graphics card won't be as visible but instead the radiator will be mostly seen. I have a bracket with 2 70mm fans on it that blow air over the graphics card, that bracket will slightly reduce air flow to the rad fans. I might have to modify this bracket also. This will also limit my ability to upgrade to a larger radiator. However it will allow me to put intake fans on the front of the case and keep the front panel closed. With the case all closed, it will likely be the most attractive solution from the outside. It will allow me to take off about an additional 2" from the case, making the total reduction of the case depth ~5".

Let me know what you guys think I should do!!!

I believe I'm going to go with Option 2:
Here's why. I'm going to add a cover to everything. Instead of creating a bracket I'll just make a cover for the PSU, Rad, and cover part of the GPU. This should look sweet in theory... Hopefully my metal working skills are up to task for this. I'll get some galvanized steel and a few clamps for bending it. My plan is to create a cover so the radiator screws into it, then I'll also attach my SSDs to the bottom of it. Overall it should look sweet. I'll probably wrap it in carbon fiber vinyl and the back of it will be covered in sound absorbing foam. Here's a paint picture of my idea...

I'll probably remove the AIO cooler to shorten the hoses some and also clean out, replace the coolant since I haven't done that in almost 2 years. I'll just game on the stock cooler with it for awhile.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in