[Build-Log] Lian-Li PC-Q33, silent, VR-Ready SFF - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Build-Log] Lian-Li PC-Q33, silent, VR-Ready SFF

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Since I haven't found many builds involving this case and the overall lack of love for it (albeit it being a great layout IMO and lots of room for quiet, air-cooled OC), here is my most recent build, completed just this week.

My build goals were
  1. Less than 35cm deep, high and wide, smaller is better while still achieving the other goals
  2. Comfortable layout to enable clean cable management
  3. VR ready performance and IO
  4. <20 dBA idle, <30 dBA load
  5. Can potentially run OS X (hence no Skylake)
  6. Good value
  7. Classy outside appearance
  8. High-quality components

For the most part everything worked out nicely, however my goal of flashing the GPU-Bios and making the card stop its fan while idle sadly failed, as such, the system does not quite manage to stay < 20 dBA, however it is still inaudible or rather indistinguishable from the unavoidable background noise on/off, at roughly 1m distance. (The room has a 34 dB noise level when all controllable noise-sources are shut off).

Notes: The PSU is mounted upside down for additional negative pressure. The oversized CPU-cooler theoretically enables overclocking (which i decided against in favour of silence) and can passively keep the CPU below 60°C most of the time. Even under load the fan is practically inaudible. The strong airflow in the case also handles the exhaust heat of the GPU beautifully, keeping it at 80°C with just 45-50% fan speed (at 22°C ambient temperature). The mainboard came with an external WiFi antenna that I didn't want dangling around, so I routed the cable inside the case and tied the antenna down at one of the HDD mounting holes, which still gives me sufficient signal quality for acceptable 802.11ac speeds.

Caveat: I expect dust to be an issue as the case has no filters... will have to see how that turns out in practice... possibly requiring some modding to add some low profile filters.

Windows 10 runs without issue. The test-install of OSX went without major problems, just the normal driver hassle, no WiFi (can be fixed by swapping the stock PCIe wifi card).

Benchmarks, noise and power measurements are still forthcoming.

Anyway, here is the spec and some pictures for those generally interested or also considering a build in this case.

Spec:

Case: Lian Li PC-Q33B
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 970 DirectCU Mini
HDD 1: Seagate NAS HDD ST3000VN000 3TB
HDD 2: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI
RAM: 16GB HyperX FURY DDR3-1866 CL10 Kit
CPU: Intel Core i5 4590 3.30GHz
CPU Cooling: be quiet! Dark Rock 3
System Fan: be quiet! Silent Wings 2 PWM 120x120x25mm
ATX Cables: Custom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 03:03 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Hey Anikki, very nice build, and excellent pictures. I particularly appreciate your noise and temp measurements and comments on pratical considerations such as lack of dust filters. Will be following any updates, of course.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 07:26 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 6)
Beautiful build and wow-now-that's-what-I-call beautiful pictures. What camera and objective did you use and did you utilise any special lighting setup?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hampurista View Post

Beautiful build and wow-now-that's-what-I-call beautiful pictures. What camera and objective did you use and did you utilise any special lighting setup?

Thank you. All photos were made with available light (thats why they turned out a bit grainy) which was shaped only a little bit with window blinders. The camera was a Canon 5D mark II with a 24-70 2.8L lens.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 08:55 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 5)
Love the build and the AKG K553s. Sadly I haven't used them since I purchased the K7XX.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 07:58 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Quote: Originally Posted by Anikki View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by hampurista 

Thank you. All photos were made with available light (thats why they turned out a bit grainy) which was shaped only a little bit with window blinders. The camera was a Canon 5D mark II with a 24-70 2.8L lens.
pc q33 is discontinnued which alternative do we have for a direct replacement? Lov the vertical build, compact and good airflow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in