Fractal Design Nano S Owners Club - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Fractal Design Nano S Owners Club

post #1 of 124 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 33 (Unique: 27)
Hello! Welcome to the Fractal Design Nano S Case Club @ OCN!! If you would like to join the club, post some pics/ description of your build.

Introduction:
The Define Nano S is an ITX case that features compatibility with high end, full-size components, superior sound dampening, and an ATX-like layout.

The case includes two Dynamic Series fans with both bottom and front intakes protected by easy-to-clean, removable dust filters.

With its mounting capabilities for simultaneous radiators and unobstructed airflow path, the Define Nano S can cool enthusiast-level components.

Equipped with Fractal Design’s signature ModuVent™ technology on the top vents and sound dampening throughout, the Define Nano S can run a powerful system quietly, a hallmark of the Define series.

Official Webite
http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/define-series/define-nano-s-window

Specifications Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
  • ITX motherboard compatibility
  • 2 expansion slots
  • 2 - 3.5" HDD/2.5" SSD positions; 2 - 2.5" dedicated SSD unit positions (fits SSDs up to 13mm thick)
  • 6 - Fan positions (1 Fractal Design Dynamic GP14 140mm fan + 1 Fractal Design Dynamic GP-12 120mm fan included)
  • Filtered fan slots in the front and bottom (ejects from the front of the case)
  • CPU coolers up to 160mm in height
  • ATX PSUs up to 160mm deep (shorter PSUs recommended for easier cable management)
  • Graphics cards up to 315mm in length with front fans mounted (Cards wider than the dual slot bracket are not recommended)
  • 17 - 35mm of space for cable routing behind the motherboard plate
  • Velcro straps included for easy cable management
  • Both side panels and rear HDD/SSD brackets feature smart captive thumbscrews
  • Dense sound dampening material on front and right side panels; left side panel includes a transparent window
  • ModuVent™ on top of case for further silent computing or additional ventilation
  • Colours available: Black
  • Case dimensions (WxHxD): 203 x 330 x 400mm
  • Case dimensions - wtih feet/protrusions/screws: 203 x 344 x 412mm
  • Net weight: 4.6 kg
  • Case volume: 26.80 litres
  • Package dimensions (WxHxD): 275 x 485 x 420mm
  • Package weight: 5.8 kg

With the case almost a year old, we do not have a club here on OCN for people to show off this awesome case so here is the Club.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 124 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 07:02 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 94 (Unique: 84)
I don't know if there is enough to make a club as the Fractal thread is barely of itself. Anyways, I got my Nano yesterday and quite frankly I am really impressed by the quality of Fractal cases. The things are solid. The case is smaller than I thought but perfect for what I wanted.

@CaptainZombie
With some help you will have to post things like PSU support, rads, coolers, etc.
post #3 of 124 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 33 (Unique: 27)
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing that there might not be enough but figured to start a thread for owners to at least post their builds and
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithydan View Post

I don't know if there is enough to make a club as the Fractal thread is barely of itself. Anyways, I got my Nano yesterday and quite frankly I am really impressed by the quality of Fractal cases. The things are solid. The case is smaller than I thought but perfect for what I wanted.

@CaptainZombie
With some help you will have to post things like PSU support, rads, coolers, etc.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing that there might not be enough but figured to start a thread for owners to at least post their builds and experiences with the case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 124 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 04:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 60 (Unique: 50)
I just bought one of these. Very happy with my decision.

i7-6700K
Gigabyte GA170N Gaming 5 board
16GB of EVGA ram
Seasonic X650
Asus Strix GTX 1070
post #5 of 124 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 09:15 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
I thought this case would be a lot more popular! I initially was looking at an RVZ01 for my next build to do a water-cooled minimalist gaming rig...but my roommate just bought a Nano S for a new build after his gaming laptop died and I gotta say I'm pretty impressed with the case. It also seems like it's much more friendly to work with, especially when considering a water-cooling build.

I'm about to graduate college finally so I'm upping my budget for my next build. No particular rush, but I'd like to do something along the lines of a water cooled (CPU + GPU), Intel i5, mini-ITX, Nano S, Nvidia GTX 1080 build. I have no idea what to get for water cooling though - or how to do it. So that'll require some more research...but if any of you have already done some water cooling in a Nano S post it up!

post #6 of 124 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 09:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petehmb View Post

I thought this case would be a lot more popular! I initially was looking at an RVZ01 for my next build to do a water-cooled minimalist gaming rig...but my roommate just bought a Nano S for a new build after his gaming laptop died and I gotta say I'm pretty impressed with the case. It also seems like it's much more friendly to work with, especially when considering a water-cooling build.

I'm about to graduate college finally so I'm upping my budget for my next build. No particular rush, but I'd like to do something along the lines of a water cooled (CPU + GPU), Intel i5, mini-ITX, Nano S, Nvidia GTX 1080 build. I have no idea what to get for water cooling though - or how to do it. So that'll require some more research...but if any of you have already done some water cooling in a Nano S post it up!

LOL just randomly checked in. Surprised there are 0 build pictures in here.

I purchased the parts a month back and waiting for the final piece to complete. But here a pic of where I am at atm. If you got any questions please do ask thumb.gif

Part List:
Fractal Design Define Nano S
Intel Core i7-7700K
Asus ROG Strix Z270i
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3000
Samsung 960 Evo 500GB M.2
Samsung 830 250GB (from old build)
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (from old build)
EVGA GTX 1080 FE
EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
Windows 10 Home
Servo Gentle Typhoon PA-64 (x2)
EK-Vardar F4-120ER - White (x2)
Swiftech PWM splitter
Custom Cables from Ensourced (waiting for these...)

Water Cooling Part List:
Black Ice Nemesis 240GTS - White (x2)
EK-Supremacy EVO - Nickel
EK-FC1080 GTX + Nickel Backplate
EK-RES X3 110
EK-XTOP Revo D5 - Plexi
EK-Ekoolant EVO UV Green
EK-Ekoolant Plastel White
White Barrow fittings from Aliexpress
Thermaltake PETG Tubing
Thermaltake Tube Bending Kit

MISC:
White Marble Vinyl
Matte White Vinyl
White Plastidip

post #7 of 124 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 12:02 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by byomes View Post

LOL just randomly checked in. Surprised there are 0 build pictures in here.

I purchased the parts a month back and waiting for the final piece to complete. But here a pic of where I am at atm. If you got any questions please do ask thumb.gif

Part List:
Fractal Design Define Nano S
Intel Core i7-7700K
Asus ROG Strix Z270i
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3000
Samsung 960 Evo 500GB M.2
Samsung 830 250GB (from old build)
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (from old build)
EVGA GTX 1080 FE
EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
Windows 10 Home
Servo Gentle Typhoon PA-64 (x2)
EK-Vardar F4-120ER - White (x2)
Swiftech PWM splitter
Custom Cables from Ensourced (waiting for these...)

Water Cooling Part List:
Black Ice Nemesis 240GTS - White (x2)
EK-Supremacy EVO - Nickel
EK-FC1080 GTX + Nickel Backplate
EK-RES X3 110
EK-XTOP Revo D5 - Plexi
EK-Ekoolant EVO UV Green
EK-Ekoolant Plastel White
White Barrow fittings from Aliexpress
Thermaltake PETG Tubing
Thermaltake Tube Bending Kit

MISC:
White Marble Vinyl
Matte White Vinyl
White Plastidip

O_O Whoa. Dude that is a nice lookin build!!! It's like..."rich stormtrooper" or something. Lol. What was the total cost for just the water cooling parts? Also are you planning on running it open like that? Looks like your fans in the front are replacing the front bezel?

post #8 of 124 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 01:18 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petehmb View Post

O_O Whoa. Dude that is a nice lookin build!!! It's like..."rich stormtrooper" or something. Lol. What was the total cost for just the water cooling parts? Also are you planning on running it open like that? Looks like your fans in the front are replacing the front bezel?
Thank you smile.gif I'm going for the classy look.
Total cost of watercooling parts was a little north of $650... I removed all the side panels for the time being since the build isnt complete. So it will be black on the outside and white on the inside once complete just like an oreo LOL

post #9 of 124 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 02:51 PM
Not a Fan

Rep: 162 (Unique: 126)
I posted pics of my Nano S in the Fractal thread, but for you Nano S guys I'll post a couple here.

Trimming the corners off the top fans so I could fit a rad in the top:

Res mounted up, there is a plugged ball valve sticking through the back of the case - you can see where I removed some of the panel behind the res - to allow filling/draining:

Put a riser tube in the res so I could vent/fill through the lower port - no way to vent or fill through the top of the res with it right under the top rad:

Finished loop:

I cut away just enough of the top panel to allow intake for the top rad, then glued a piece of screen painted black on the bottom. The front two mount tabs are in place, the rest had to be removed, a small neo magnet on the left rear corner to hold it down.

Where I moved the divider plate over so the GTS 280 rad would fit in the front - you can see the new rivet locations:

Finished:

Gear:

Asus Strix Z270i
Delidded i7-7700K
G. Skill 3600 C15 RAM
2X 960 Pro 512 M.2 drives
Titan Xp
EK blocks, pump, res
HW Labs Black Ice Nemesis GTS 280 front, GTS 240 top
Primochill PETG, Revolver fittings
Seasonic X750 PSU

Fractal Nano S

It's Death Bomb in my sig rigs.

I never even thought about posting it here, it seems like the Nano S is deemed "too big" to be a proper mITX build, but it sure didn't seem too big to me while I was stuffing it with a full loop. I'm very pleased with the build - I think I could do better bending the loop if I did it over - but the performance is outstanding. This is my third Fractal built, a Node 605, Core 1500, and now Nano S. I really like these cases.

If winning were easy, losers would do it.

It's got Async Compute, it's got what plants crave!
War Pig
(12 items)
Death Bomb
(9 items)
X-Rig
(15 items)
CPU
i9-7980XE
Motherboard
Rampage VI Extreme Omega
GPU
2080Ti FE
RAM
G.Skill F4-3600C16Q2-64GTZSW
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro X4
Optical Drive
Pioneer BDR-209BDK
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1300 G2
Cooling
HW Labs Black Ice GTX 420-480-2X240
Cooling
EK Supremacy Evo CPU Heatkiller IV GPU
Cooling
2X PPCs Bitspower D5
Case
Corsair 900D
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
CPU
I7-7700K De-lidded @ 5GHz
Motherboard
Asus Strix Z270i
GPU
Nvidia Titan Xp
RAM
G. Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ
Hard Drive
2X Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2
Power Supply
SeaSonic X750
Cooling
EK Supremacy EVO CPU. Titan Xp Full Cover w/Backplate, X-TOP Revo D5 PWM Pump, Res X3 110mm Res, HW Labs GTS 280 and GTS 240, Primochill Tubing & Revolver fittings
Case
Fractal Nano S
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
CPU
I7-5960X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage V Extreme 1502
GPU
EVGA Titan X
GPU
EVGA Titan X
RAM
G.Skill F4-3000C15Q-32GRK
Hard Drive
Samsung SM951 M.2
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
Optical Drive
Pioneer BDR-2209
Power Supply
EVGA 220-P2-1200-X1
Cooling
EKWB Blocks, Fans, and Pumps, Rads
Case
Corsair 550D
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro Retail
Monitor
BenQ BL3201PH
Keyboard
Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8
Mouse
Roccat Kone Pure Optical
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by GnarlyCharlie; 02-19-2019 at 09:39 AM.
post #10 of 124 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 05:59 PM
New to Overclock.net

Thanks for the pics GnarlyCharlie! Interesting to see your thought process just looking at the build pictures. I was thinking of doing something similar with the top cover. Was worried it would look strange, but after looking at yours I'm definitely going that direction.

About the case being too big for a proper mITX build, I would have to agree with you. But being able to fit an entire loop comfortably using nearly every square inch/cm of the case is what attracted me to this case.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in