AMD's Wraith Spire with the Noctua 140mm Redux fan - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

AMD's Wraith Spire with the Noctua 140mm Redux fan

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
This is a quick post to show what my build looks like so far.. No GPU yet since all the bang-for-buck gpu's are all snatched up by miners..

Since the included Wraith Spire cooler from amd is sufficient for cooling cpu's with a tdp of 95w, i figured i wouldn't need anything special to cool my 65w cpu (R5 1600)
The only thing that bothered me with the stock cooler is the rather small fan that comes with it. So i decided to try using the 140mm Redux fan from Noctua, and see if it makes any difference.

It barely fits without the dust filter as you can see in the last pic, the fan very slightly presses against the mesh window of the case..
If anyone is planning on using the standard fan that comes with the heatsink, it's good to note that it doesn't fit with the plastic ring with "AMD" on it.. (as seen in the pics) you need to remove the ring. Also, that ring doesn't serve a purpose it's just for looks..

The Wraith Max has the same height as the Spire so it should work with that cooler as well..
PS: If anyone knows where i could find one of those Wraith MAX coolers (or similar rebranded ones) in europe, i would love some links!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 03:29 AM
New to Overclock.net

Wraith max wont fit. I bought one because I thought it would also fit. I was going to pair it with a noctua slim fan and the lid wouldn't close. The lid didn't close even with a 12mm scythe fan. So I sold it on Ebay.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 10:04 AM
New to Overclock.net

Has this project developed in any way? I'm wondering if I should have this same setup you have here. I already have node 202 and ryzen 1600 and tried to use noctua a9x14 on top of amd wraith spire, but my temperatures went of the roof. Prime95 had temperatures right away to 90c and even with 100mv undervolt temperatures went to almost 90c. Fan was silent thought and fit in even with dust filter on.

So I replaced fan with wraiths original, removed dust filter and ordered external magnetic filter to attach on top of the case. Fan is much louder though so now I'm wondering if 140mm noctua would do the trick more silently. Is noctua as thick as original wraith fan without the top shroud? And if you already have had time to test how was the temps with larger noctua? By specs it should be able to move more air than wraiths fan, but does it work alright even when it's so much larger than the heatsink? With original fan and 100mv undervolt I have temperatures in just 70c with prime95 and unigine heaven running together (gpu is reference rx480) and my cpu fan ain't even maxing the speeds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 06:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

tested this approach and not recommended

Hi, i was able test this approach, by having a 140mm fan from deepcool (600-1500 rpm i guess, high cfm). When i use the wraith spire fan on the cpu cooler (removed the shroud and dust filter), the temperatures are quite well (mid 60's in prime95). But when i put on the 140mm fan, i have to shift it a bit s the fan blades wouldn't touch the case cover, due to bending from the off-standing area for the cooling area. As i shifted the fan, the cpu cooler won't get much fresh air in the opposite corner of where i shifted the fan to, resulting in 70-80 degrees when testing, it would probably have hit the 90's but i just didn't want to go that far. What i also have tested is using a 140mm fan with 120mm mounting holes in the gpu area, with success: My RX570 4GB only gets to 70 degrees, AND i was also able to mount another 140 fan next to the first one (actually not fitted by screws as it's offset) but its being held by all the cables in there and the other fan, and its really tight, the only thing i feared was that the fan could interfere with the gpu fans, so i tried to move one of the power cables for the gpu in a way that the gpu stands away from the case fans (obviously i would have to use some other kind of spacing material, like a wooden piece or whatever) but until now it's absolutely fine, GPU temps when on load: 65-67 degrees!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in