Rate this AMD/Nvidia Build - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Rate this AMD/Nvidia Build

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 51 (Unique: 32)
Rate this AMD/Nvidia Build

I'm dipping my toe into AMD for the first time with my next build after my current PC got fried in a power surge. This new PC will be used for 1080p gaming and streaming as well as photography, video editing and music composition. This time around I'm also building my first SFF PC after enjoying building many compact PCs for friends and really wanting to claim some office space back - I have been using a Caselabs S8 till now haha.

So here's the build:
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
ASUS B450i
GSkill Trident X 3200 32GB
ASUS ROG 1070Ti
EVGA SuperNova G3 550
Samsung PRO M.2 512GB
Coolermaster Master Liquid ML120R
Phanteks Evolv Shift

With new generations of CPU and GPU on the horizon the prices of this rig have been pretty good after some bargain hunting and I don't think I'd need the power that comes with the new stuff.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 01:52 AM
8.2 liters

Rep: 553 (Unique: 361)
Hi vertical cases are good for your desk space. I used FT03-mini for years and even though, like the Shift, its volume is on the larger size of SFF the desk footprint turns out even smaller than NCase or Dan A4 or whatever.

About your components. The EVGA SuperNova G3 550 is a regular ATX power supply - far too big. You will need to use an SFX PSU in the Shift. Like the Silverstone SX650G or Corsair SF600.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 02:11 AM
Senior OCN Member

Even if you could fit a G3 its not the best option around as its has a problem with an aggressive fan profile when used in eco mode
As for SilverStone forget about them as their PSU´s are mediocre

As for CLC coolers dont bother unless you have room for one bigger than 240mm
https://www.overclock.net/forum/61-w...lc-cooler.html

You can get low profile air coolers from Noctua, Phanteks, Be Quiet, Cryorig and Thermalright

Seravee
(30 items)
CPU
Intel Core I7 6850K
Motherboard
Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming
GPU
MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
RAM
Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB
Hard Drive
Corsair Force MP510 1,92 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf 12 TB
Hard Drive
WD Ultrastar DC HC530 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 12 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 16 TB
Optical Drive
LG CH12NS30
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750 watt
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Monitor
LG 55C8 OLED TV
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 with Cherry MX Silent
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mouse
HyperX Fury S XL
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598
Audio
Onkyo TX NR646
Audio
Dali Opticon Vokal
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 2
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 1
Audio
Dali E12 F Subwoofer
Audio
Sennheiser HD-599
Other
CableMod 30 CM Magnetic Red LED strip
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 03:14 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by WiSK View Post
Hi vertical cases are good for your desk space. I used FT03-mini for years and even though, like the Shift, its volume is on the larger size of SFF the desk footprint turns out even smaller than NCase or Dan A4 or whatever.

About your components. The EVGA SuperNova G3 550 is a regular ATX power supply - far too big. You will need to use an SFX PSU in the Shift. Like the Silverstone SX650G or Corsair SF600.
Ah crap I thought I had the dimensions right, it probably arrives tomorrow
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 03:22 AM
8.2 liters

Quote: Originally Posted by shilka View Post
As for CLC coolers dont bother unless you have room for one bigger than 240mm
https://www.overclock.net/forum/61-w...lc-cooler.html

You can get low profile air coolers from Noctua, Phanteks, Be Quiet, Cryorig and Thermalright
Your own link disagrees with your conclusion!

Apart from that it seems to be mostly comparing chunky tower air coolers to 240mm AIOs, as opposed to low-profile air v 120mm AIOs.

The only "true" mITX cooler that I can see on your link is the L9x65 which is the worst performing of everything on the second set of graphs (86C!).

If OP would use low profile ram, he could maybe fit NH-L12S or Cyrorig C1 which are pretty much the best performing low profile CPU coolers, at least as tested in the NCase and Dan community. However, Cryorig C1 still scores unimpressive 76C on the second set of charts, and if you click through to the actual testing methodology those numbers were recorded in an InWin D-Frame which is wide open, almost a test bench type setup. It's very different situation to a small closed SFF case where air coolers often suffer to recirculate their own heat, and the heat of the GPU. An AIO mounted on the bottom of the Shift would be guaranteed fresh air.

So equivalent 120mm AIO is better performing. The ML120R is a new, so not on the charts you linked by eg the Corsair H75 comes in at 72C and the H80i under 70C. In another source https://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cooli...0r-rgb/?page=2 performed even better than Dark Rock Pro 4, a tower air cooler.

Regardless of such evidence, from my own 7 year experience of SFF building, all "wind tunnel cases" i.e. with a single fan intake such as SG05 / SG13 / FT03-mini / Evolv Shift show dramatic temperature and noise decreases on both CPU and GPU when you use a 120mm AIO at the intake instead of low-profile air cooler

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 03:36 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Your own link disagrees with your conclusion!

Apart from that it seems to be mostly comparing chunky tower air coolers to 240mm AIOs, as opposed to low-profile air v 120mm AIOs.

The only "true" mITX cooler that I can see on your link is the L9x65 which is the worst performing of everything on the second set of graphs (86C!).

If OP would use low profile ram, he could maybe fit NH-L12S or Cyrorig C1 which are pretty much the best performing low profile CPU coolers, at least as tested in the NCase and Dan community. However, Cryorig C1 still scores unimpressive 76C on the second set of charts, and if you click through to the actual testing methodology those numbers were recorded in an InWin D-Frame which is wide open, almost a test bench type setup. It's very different situation to a small closed SFF case where air coolers often suffer to recirculate their own heat, and the heat of the GPU. An AIO mounted on the bottom of the Shift would be guaranteed fresh air.

So equivalent 120mm AIO is better performing. The ML120R is a new, so not on the charts you linked by eg the Corsair H75 comes in at 72C and the H80i under 70C. In another source https://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cooli...0r-rgb/?page=2 performed even better than Dark Rock Pro 4, a tower air cooler.

Regardless of such evidence, from my own 7 year experience of SFF building, all "wind tunnel cases" i.e. with a single fan intake such as SG05 / SG13 / FT03-mini / Evolv Shift show dramatic temperature and noise decreases on both CPU and GPU when you use a 120mm AIO at the intake instead of low-profile air cooler
I plan to mount the radiator at the bottom of the case with push pull as I thought this would be the best configuration. Thoughts?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 04:55 AM
8.2 liters

Quote: Originally Posted by GrimDoctor View Post
I plan to mount the radiator at the bottom of the case with push pull as I thought this would be the best configuration. Thoughts?
Yes, fresh air from underneath and the ML120R comes with two fans. There should be plenty of clearance as the SFX PSU sits next to the radiator and your GPU is not too long. Even if the top fan doesn't fit, from experience 1 fan is enough for a medium thickness radiator.

I've recently switched to Noctua A12 fans on my [email protected] rig, and I have to recommend them as great fans on radiators. Even better than the PWM Gentle Typhoons I had before. Of course, you may want the RGB fans of the ML120R, but if you find yourself wanting to improve the performance and noise level, then definitely have a look at the fans with Noctua A12. (Possibly even just replacing the bottommost intake which is hidden by a shroud.)

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Yes, fresh air from underneath and the ML120R comes with two fans. There should be plenty of clearance as the SFX PSU sits next to the radiator and your GPU is not too long. Even if the top fan doesn't fit, from experience 1 fan is enough for a medium thickness radiator.

I've recently switched to Noctua A12 fans on my [email protected] rig, and I have to recommend them as great fans on radiators. Even better than the PWM Gentle Typhoons I had before. Of course, you may want the RGB fans of the ML120R, but if you find yourself wanting to improve the performance and noise level, then definitely have a look at the fans with Noctua A12. (Possibly even just replacing the bottommost intake which is hidden by a shroud.)
I have both Noctuas and Gentle Typhoons to test with as well as slim versions of each so I can be covered for all options. From experience the Noctuas will be quieter so I imagine I'll lean that way - the PC will be sitting right next to me on my desk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in