SFF Gaming Build - Opinions? - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

SFF Gaming Build - Opinions?

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
:]

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by epic1337 View Post
take the 65W TDP versions of AMD's 2000 series, it'd put less pressure on the NH-L9, the 3000 series would be even better if you could wait.

also the GPU, RX 590 is very power hungry and it's heat would be dumped inside the case.

the disadvantage of SFF cases is that it has a very small thermal buffer, not to mention very few ways to ventilate it.
It might be worth me waiting, when I get an idea in my head I tend to go to 0-100 in a matter of seconds. Another reason it's good for me to do these posts before pulling any trigger.

Quote: Originally Posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
Ah, yes, get cheap Ryzen 1000 series and drop a 3000 in a little later. Good plan. That said, I know I'd then say to myself, "I've got this CPU sitting here doing nothing, let's build another system around it...

The Metis isn't the smallest case in the SFF market, but it's a fairly nice design (I got the green one simply because it was cheaper, and it has really grown on me) and can fit an astounding amount of stuff in it - provided you don't mind some thought and painstaking precision if you want more than two SSDs. I'm eyeing up the Phanteks Evolv Shift (X) for another SFF build, although it is quite a bit larger than I really would like. That said, things like the Fractal Nano S are massive in comparison to the Node 202, Metis etc. There seems to be a dramatic tradeoff between cases with good cooling and size, my old boss experimented briefly with a Node 304 for a proxy/data dump and despite what Fractal say on their product page, the system in there absolutely cooked when any load at all was applied...

The 202 looks like a small desktop chassis?

- I took that route with my SFF box; Ryzen 1700 (65w TDP). I just use the stock cooler, it's fairly quiet and keeps the CPU under control. The real issue for most of these SFF cases will be the GPU.

Unless you really only want AMD GPUs, a variety of "ITX size" nVidia GPUs are rather good. I use a GTX 1070 on a short PCB. 150-something mm long, IIRC... can't remember the manufacturer, but Gigabyte, MSI and Zotac do ITX cards.
I'm actually more of an intel/nvidia guy myself, but as of late AMD has sparked some interest. However if this wasn't a "squeeze as much performance for as little as possible" type build without making any huge pain staking sacrifices - it seemed like a good time to try it out. I've made budget builds usually always strictly AMD for friends. As mentioned by another user the 1660 would probably be a decent option for me. I do notice on games I like to play at the settings I like to play I think I won't be happy with much less than 8gb vram.

4k isn't a HUGE concern to me just yet, I personally don't feel the benefits per $ especially considering the physical size of the screen would merit more than 1440p - my main rig runs 2k/165hz but... I doubt I'll be packing around a $500 monitor with me.

I know at some point gaming laptops would probably be more rational but - as an irrational individual we're not going to explore that. Me + non-modular mobile like devices will not be considered 😜

Quote: Originally Posted by Kokin View Post
I'd recommend stating your intended resolution and refresh rate for a better understanding of your GPU needs.

That said, I agree that the RX590 is going to be a hot GPU for a Node 202, get an ITX-based GPU or more power-efficient 570/580 or 1660. If you can find a used/refurb 1070 in an ITX form factor, they go for around $200+ (check Ebay/craigslist/local Facebook marketplace). The 1070 is going to do well for a 1440p/60Hz or 1080p/120Hz setup.
Thanks 🙂 sort of touched base on this with previous comments.

Quote: Originally Posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Kokin View Post
I'd recommend stating your intended resolution and refresh rate for a better understanding of your GPU needs.

That said, I agree that the RX590 is going to be a hot GPU for a Node 202, get an ITX-based GPU or more power-efficient 570/580 or 1660. If you can find a used/refurb 1070 in an ITX form factor, they go for around $200+ (check Ebay/craigslist/local Facebook marketplace). The 1070 is going to do well for a 1440p/60Hz or 1080p/120Hz setup.
I'd agree. While I've been using a 1070 to drive a 4K monitor, there are a fair few games where I have to tweak settings quite carefully to balance framerate with eyecandy at 4K. There are a couple of games I run at reduced resolution, but stuff doesn't look bad at 1080p on a 4K screen...
Somewhere Im missing your post about the Metis Plus. I took a look at it last night, doesn't look bad! Though just for preference of a console like look it's making my life more difficult, I know. I posted earlier about some of the SFF Silverstone cases being designed a little better to handle cooling. On pcpartpicker there are quite a few builds with top of the line GTX/RTX cards in them... However no real mention of cooling though I believe in Gamer Nexus they show some decent results under full load for a couple of hours.

If I wanted to make my life a real PITA there was a NFC S4 mini (I think it was called) that looks like nothing I've messed with before as far as the PSU/external power brick option. It's a little scary looking but could be interesting to try out.

I use a fractal node 304 for my NAS/IoT - great for that - but no dedicated GPU there either.

Who put the fun in Dysfunctional?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in