Club for those with beastly mATX/ITX rigs. - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Club for those with beastly mATX/ITX rigs.

post #1 of 13311 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 209 (Unique: 161)
This thread is for a congregation of members that pack high-end hardware into tiny mATX or Mini-ITX cases without compromise. The emphasis is on small cases. Feel free to post pictures or just discuss SFF cases in general.

9/2012 Update: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Many, many pages of bickering have arisen due to my flexible definition of "beastly" and "SFF".

In general, a beastly system needs to have discrete graphics and a quad core processor. Watercooling, custom cases, or in-depth case mods all help as well. Micro-Atx or smaller boards, and no cases with more than 4 expansion slots regardless of the board inside.

However, this thread has grown into a much larger discussion about SFF, and has grown beyond these original guidelines. As such, any mATX or smaller system is fair game, including the Prodigy. Hating the Prodigy is fine, but doing so in this thread is not.

3/2015 Update:

Since everyone loves to quote me, and treat what I say like commandments, here's a list of points making it clear:
  1. I'm not going to define a list of acceptable cases, or volume/size criteria. This just creates more drama and bickering.
  2. Content here is posted by the community. I do not have control over what happens, I'm just a poster like all of you.
  3. Users need to recognize that we all have specific tastes, and not everything will line up with what we want to see.
  4. No one person here decides what belongs and does not belong. Not even me. We do that together as a community.
  5. Posters should be mindful of the SFF passion we all share. It's very possible your build may not click with us. Don't get offended.
  6. If you don't like something, it can be safely ignored. If you're going to say something, perhaps refer them to a more fitting club.
  7. Toxic comments, or calling anyone out gets referred to the mods. Healthy and passionate discussion is always welcome.

Now, for a handful of "technical suggestions"
  1. The club has evolved into a primarily Mini-ITX focus. Consider mITX boards in mITX cases the standard of what we look for.
  2. We exist to demonstrate legitimate high-end gaming hardware can fit in small spaces. This is not the place for your low-power HTPC or Raspberry Pi.
  3. If you're going to post a Micro-ATX board, it needs to have two or more video cards. Period. If you have just one GPU on mATX, this is not your thread.
  4. Any "borderline" large cases had better be special. Full watercooling, a scratch built case, clever use of PCIe risers etc. is to be expected.

I love how passionate we all are. I really do. It makes this thread with thousands of posts feel like a tight-knit community. (and indeed we are). Best I can tell, this is the most popular thread in the entire "Specialty Builds" section by a long shot. We have come a long way in these 6 years. You, the community, have made it what it is. That's not to be taken lightly. Let's keep it up!

Why do we mount round fans on square radiators?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13311 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 09:29 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 188 (Unique: 146)
bet you that case has the worst airflow, how come you aren't running on a rampage gene? those tend to be the best matx mobos
post #3 of 13311 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 09:33 PM

Nice build! Mine is in my sig and I think its pretty beastly, I plan on getting pics soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13311 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesi5 View Post
bet you that case has the worst airflow, how come you aren't running on a rampage gene? those tend to be the best matx mobos
I needed a floppy controller.

I keep all my passwords on a floppy disk, security through obscurity.

And yeah, airflow is an issue considering it's only got 2 92mm fan holes. I cut the grills out though.

post #5 of 13311 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 09:54 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 42 (Unique: 40)
I have a mATX rig, I don't know how beastly it is. Plan on overclocking (a little) when I finish putting my GPU and CPU underwater.

post #6 of 13311 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Hey everyone, I took some more pictures since I had to take the panels off to add in 3 more gigs of RAM. It's really crazy how small this bugger is compared to most cases here on OCN. I'm about to put my DVD drive in, and once Newegg ships my $148 4890, it's going in too. Crossfire might be in the future as well. No compromises.

In the 3rd pic, I added in an Antec Big Boy 200 for size comparison.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

post #7 of 13311 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 03:26 PM
Short circulating

Rep: 55 (Unique: 50)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Poindexter View Post

Wow that 3870 is definately not getting much air. But thats cool how you fit everything into that small case.

Go Gators!

Swamplog 2.0
(16 items)
CPU
Ryzen 1700 @ 3.7GHz
Motherboard
MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon
GPU
Gigabyte GTX 1070
RAM
G. Skill 2x8Gb DDR4 3200 @ 3000
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SSD
Hard Drive
Sandisk 480Gb SSD
Hard Drive
WD Black 2TB HDD
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Evo 250GB NVMe
Power Supply
Corsair AX860
Cooling
CM Hyper 212 Black Edition
Case
Corsair Vengeance C70
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
Acer GN246HL 24"
Monitor
Acer GN246HL 24"
Keyboard
Corsair K55
Mouse
Corsair Harpoon
▲ hide details ▲

post #8 of 13311 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 07:31 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Maybe cut a hole out under the 3870 for some fresh air for the vid card at least...looks very tidy!

post #9 of 13311 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 07:34 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 631 (Unique: 409)
oooh ooh! let me join!

Exterior:

Interior:

post #10 of 13311 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 08:03 PM

Oh yeah, how bout all the horsepower in my sig crammed into a SG04?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in