This thread is for a congregation of members that pack high-end hardware into tiny mATX or Mini-ITX cases without compromise. The emphasis is on small cases. Feel free to post pictures or just discuss SFF cases in general.9/2012 Update:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Many, many pages of bickering have arisen due to my flexible definition of "beastly" and "SFF".
In general, a beastly system needs to have discrete graphics and a quad core processor. Watercooling, custom cases, or in-depth case mods all help as well. Micro-Atx or smaller boards, and no cases with more than 4 expansion slots regardless of the board inside.
However, this thread has grown into a much larger discussion about SFF, and has grown beyond these original guidelines. As such, any mATX or smaller system is fair game, including the Prodigy. Hating the Prodigy is fine, but doing so in this thread is not.
Since everyone loves to quote me, and treat what I say like commandments, here's a list of points making it clear:
- I'm not going to define a list of acceptable cases, or volume/size criteria. This just creates more drama and bickering.
- Content here is posted by the community. I do not have control over what happens, I'm just a poster like all of you.
- Users need to recognize that we all have specific tastes, and not everything will line up with what we want to see.
- No one person here decides what belongs and does not belong. Not even me. We do that together as a community.
- Posters should be mindful of the SFF passion we all share. It's very possible your build may not click with us. Don't get offended.
- If you don't like something, it can be safely ignored. If you're going to say something, perhaps refer them to a more fitting club.
- Toxic comments, or calling anyone out gets referred to the mods. Healthy and passionate discussion is always welcome.
Now, for a handful of "technical suggestions"
- The club has evolved into a primarily Mini-ITX focus. Consider mITX boards in mITX cases the standard of what we look for.
- We exist to demonstrate legitimate high-end gaming hardware can fit in small spaces. This is not the place for your low-power HTPC or Raspberry Pi.
- If you're going to post a Micro-ATX board, it needs to have two or more video cards. Period. If you have just one GPU on mATX, this is not your thread.
- Any "borderline" large cases had better be special. Full watercooling, a scratch built case, clever use of PCIe risers etc. is to be expected.
I love how passionate we all are. I really do. It makes this thread with thousands of posts feel like a tight-knit community. (and indeed we are). Best I can tell, this is the most popular thread in the entire "Specialty Builds" section by a long shot. We have come a long way in these 6 years. You, the community, have made it what it is. That's not to be taken lightly. Let's keep it up!