2013 Forum Folding War - Team Intel - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

2013 Forum Folding War - Team Intel

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 369 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 08:11 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 8)
I'm thinking of participating, although i know almost nothing about folding, just what it means. I've never done it.

And i have only a 3570k at stock, on a stock-ish cooler. Is it enough to score some points, or i shouldn't bother ?

How much time do you have to fold in that week 1-7 December ?
post #33 of 369 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 08:57 AM
Retired Staff

Rep: 271 (Unique: 151)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr357 View Post

It keeps telling me it couldn't find my username when I try to sign up for the team. headscratch.gif

Have you folded before? Ie have you submitted at least on WU and show up here: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userstats
I assume you also have to have folded for OCN (37726) to be able to join.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre02 View Post

I'm thinking of participating, although i know almost nothing about folding, just what it means. I've never done it.

And i have only a 3570k at stock, on a stock-ish cooler. Is it enough to score some points, or i shouldn't bother ?

How much time do you have to fold in that week 1-7 December ?

It's not the fastest, but it will give you, and the team you join, some points if you fold it.

You have to at least finish one WU during the 1st-7th to help the team and be in with a chance of winning. Other than that, you may fold as much or as little as you like.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 369 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 09:08 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arvidab View Post

You have to at least finish one WU during the 1st-7th to help the team....

What does this mean, what is this WU ?

I was thinking,just estimating to fold 2 full days, 1 full day and two halfs, or maybe even 3 full days in total. Is this good ?

How much are you guys thinking of folding in this 1 week ? Some of you will be folding 24/7 the whole week ?

I'm not thinking necessarily on the prizes, it doesnt matter to me.
post #35 of 369 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 09:12 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 51 (Unique: 46)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arvidab View Post

Have you folded before? Ie have you submitted at least on WU and show up here: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userstats
I assume you also have to have folded for OCN (37726) to be able to join.
It's not the fastest, but it will give you, and the team you join, some points if you fold it.

You have to at least finish one WU during the 1st-7th to help the team and be in with a chance of winning. Other than that, you may fold as much or as little as you like.

Haven't folded much with it, but I did make an account a long time ago and I've only folded for OCN. My rig that's used almost only for folding has a completely separate passkey, but still folds for OCN. I'm wanting to use my main rig for this even since it wouldn't make much sense to fold for team Intel using an AMD CPU. tongue.gif

I've tried signing up for the team and wouldn't allow me to, so I tried registering on the site and it kept telling me my username was invalid no matter what I chose. It doesn't help that it doesn't list the parameters for choosing a username.
post #36 of 369 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 12:45 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 13 (Unique: 10)
Ok since I told silent I would join up I decided to come post here and aee what you guys think of my settings for this event as of right now.

CPU : 3770k @ 4.8 ( 6 cores active for folding as I read odd number cores above 4 on these new WU 17s can cause them to fail)
GPU : xfire 290s hopefully WBd by then with "moddest" ocs heh probably into the 1200s

I have the cpu set to client-type advanced and gpu set to client-type beta even though I think I can change it to advanced as the wu 17s are out of beta I believe. Atm I'm pulling just over 200k ppd although my cpu score seems lower then it should beand im currently on one GPU wiating for my second! Any suggestions beyond this?

Edit: Also, anyone know why It says "final credit estimate: 34936" for my completed WU but I only got just over 6k? According to my folding page I have 35 completed WU although I did have a bunch of problems with FAHcore_a4 and a3 when I first started so I dont know if I have 10 fully completed WUs or not. I have been error free for the last two days though and have completed in the range of 7-8 WUs
post #37 of 369 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Rep: 550 (Unique: 398)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andre02 View Post

What does this mean, what is this WU ?

I was thinking,just estimating to fold 2 full days, 1 full day and two halfs, or maybe even 3 full days in total. Is this good ?

How much are you guys thinking of folding in this 1 week ? Some of you will be folding 24/7 the whole week ?

I'm not thinking necessarily on the prizes, it doesnt matter to me.

WU means work unit. With [email protected] each piece of virtual 'work' that is sent for your system to complete is called a work unit. Each work unit is worth a different amount of points depending upon how quick your computer can complete it and how fast it sends it back. The quick it finishes, the more points you get. Also I will be folding the full 24/7 week, alot of people will be doing this too. I leave my system running 24/7 for weeks on end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr357 View Post

Haven't folded much with it, but I did make an account a long time ago and I've only folded for OCN. My rig that's used almost only for folding has a completely separate passkey, but still folds for OCN. I'm wanting to use my main rig for this even since it wouldn't make much sense to fold for team Intel using an AMD CPU. tongue.gif

I've tried signing up for the team and wouldn't allow me to, so I tried registering on the site and it kept telling me my username was invalid no matter what I chose. It doesn't help that it doesn't list the parameters for choosing a username.

Ive PM;d you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmcleod View Post

Ok since I told silent I would join up I decided to come post here and aee what you guys think of my settings for this event as of right now.

CPU : 3770k @ 4.8 ( 6 cores active for folding as I read odd number cores above 4 on these new WU 17s can cause them to fail)
GPU : xfire 290s hopefully WBd by then with "moddest" ocs heh probably into the 1200s

I have the cpu set to client-type advanced and gpu set to client-type beta even though I think I can change it to advanced as the wu 17s are out of beta I believe. Atm I'm pulling just over 200k ppd although my cpu score seems lower then it should beand im currently on one GPU wiating for my second! Any suggestions beyond this?

Edit: Also, anyone know why It says "final credit estimate: 34936" for my completed WU but I only got just over 6k? According to my folding page I have 35 completed WU although I did have a bunch of problems with FAHcore_a4 and a3 when I first started so I dont know if I have 10 fully completed WUs or not. I have been error free for the last two days though and have completed in the range of 7-8 WUs

I think your setup is awesome, should be able to do up to ~425,000 points per day with those overclocks, which is no mean feat at all its a great amount!

You have only received 6k for those work units because you musnt have a passkey set in your configuration. With [email protected] you need to complete 10 initial work units, then after these you start getting bonis points. Thats when you will get the full 34,000 points per unit. You can request a passkey here - http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/getpasskey.py

My 3770k at 4.7ghz gets ~20,000ppd, the ppd is low on these cpus now, it used to be much higher. Im not sure I understand the gpu waiting bit, are you saying the client is waiting on you are physically waiting for your second gpu to arrive? biggrin.gif

post #38 of 369 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 06:00 PM
New to Overclock.net

Physically waiting haha. Gonna order it either tommorow or wensday. Waiting to see what the new never settle bindle will be on wensday

Edit: I just set a passkey up. Do you meed 10 after that? Or will the 36 I've done already count and allow bonus points from now on?
post #39 of 369 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Rep: 550 (Unique: 398)
post #40 of 369 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 06:11 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ilent View Post

no you need 10 with the passkey on and then keep using the passkey after the inital 10. Thats how it knows youve done 10

Ok good then hopefully tommorow I can start on bonus points!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in