GTX 1070 tricks - May net more PPD - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

GTX 1070 tricks - May net more PPD

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 12:31 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
KoolDrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: NY, USA
Posts: 243
Rep: 11 (Unique: 10)
What these flags do is probably common knowledge for most around here, but if you don't know (as I didn't) this link explains them along with others - https://folding.stanford.edu/home/guide/configuration-guide/

I do notice it lists the beta flag being "client-type advanced" rather than beta as listed in the OP though.


KoolDrew is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 02:40 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Ryahn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Rye, NY
Posts: 1,250
Rep: 28 (Unique: 19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolDrew View Post

What these flags do is probably common knowledge for most around here, but if you don't know (as I didn't) this link explains them along with others - https://folding.stanford.edu/home/guide/configuration-guide/

I do notice it lists the beta flag being "client-type advanced" rather than beta as listed in the OP though.

After reading over it. I think you might be right. The client-type may need to be advanced and not beta


Ryahn is offline  
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 07:05 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
T0MB0's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 40
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
I believe i'm having issues with drivers. I'm using Windows 10, and have my MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X OC'd to 2025 Mhz Core Clock and Memory Clock to 4399 MHz. My current PPD always fluctuates, and I did have that same usage problem you have. My fix was opening up the folding viewer, and that will make it use your gpu boost. I'm assuming that drivers are still a little weird on that one. Currently i'm only getting 578k estimated PPD reported on the client. I have seen my PPD go up to 680k, that was with a different driver (I think I need to find it x.x) O.C'd to 1932 Mhz I believe, and without using the flags. I suppose I just need to do a lot more testing. Anyways, I was curious what drivers you've tested and have had luck on.

Mobo : Crosshair Hero IV : AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
Ram : G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) GPU : MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X || EVGA GTX 1080 Hybrid
Cool : Corsair H100i PSU : Rosewill PHOTON Series 850W Full Modular


T0MB0 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 09:07 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
BeerCan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Florida USA
Posts: 630
Rep: 25 (Unique: 14)
I think client-type advanced is better than beta. From what I understand they are post beta but pre-release. With beta you have the situation where wu's might fail or return 0 points.



BeerCan is offline  
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 12:53 AM
Retired Staff
 
hertz9753's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bismarck, ND US
Posts: 11,941
Rep: 167 (Unique: 122)
The beta WU's are untested and supposed to used by the Stanford Beta Testing Team and they give feedback. If you are not a member and ask a question over there your post will be deleted. After a beta WU gets a base point and QRB assigned it's moved to advanced and for the general public but you are still testing to see if they need to adjust points or the change WU. Even if you don't use a flag like me you will still get duds or heaters that your card can't complete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0MB0 View Post

I believe i'm having issues with drivers. I'm using Windows 10, and have my MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X OC'd to 2025 Mhz Core Clock and Memory Clock to 4399 MHz. My current PPD always fluctuates, and I did have that same usage problem you have. My fix was opening up the folding viewer, and that will make it use your gpu boost. I'm assuming that drivers are still a little weird on that one. Currently i'm only getting 578k estimated PPD reported on the client. I have seen my PPD go up to 680k, that was with a different driver (I think I need to find it x.x) O.C'd to 1932 Mhz I believe, and without using the flags. I suppose I just need to do a lot more testing. Anyways, I was curious what drivers you've tested and have had luck on.

Using the viewer takes GPU power. Your problem is probably your driver or you could have your Folding client set to low or are pausing to game. I watch YouTube and post here with my daily rig and it drops my PPD.

Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.

AVR-Onkyo TX-NR808
Front amp-Adcom GFA 555>Polk Audio LSi9's(Vr3 Castle Mods)
Center amp-Adcom GFA 5400>Polk Audio LSi9 passive bi-amped(Vr3 Castle Mod)
Surrounds-Polk Audio F/X500's
Sub-Velodyne SPL-1000R


hertz9753 is offline  
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 08:22 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
T0MB0's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 40
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertz9753 View Post

Using the viewer takes GPU power. Your problem is probably your driver or you could have your Folding client set to low or are pausing to game. I watch YouTube and post here with my daily rig and it drops my PPD.

I don't have a baseline to compare it to, I have tried different drivers though. I'm probably going to test out the latest driver and i'll see how that goes. I've tried 372.70, 373.06, 376.48. I really need to keep notes on each one though redface.gif Considering I can't tell you the exact results of each, just that I never solved the gpu boost problem, I suppose I should at least see how each affects PPD. rolleyes.gif

Mobo : Crosshair Hero IV : AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
Ram : G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) GPU : MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X || EVGA GTX 1080 Hybrid
Cool : Corsair H100i PSU : Rosewill PHOTON Series 850W Full Modular


T0MB0 is offline  
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 06:52 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
T0MB0's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 40
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Update on last post: Tried out the lastest driver 378.66. It was using my GPU boost, but was clocking 550k ppd redface.gif I left it running and went to work. Checked it just now after getting back, and it had went to 630k PPD, but GPU boost wasn't running anymore, so it downclocked it down to 1532 MHz (I believe.) Anyways, I opened up the viewer again, and it jumped up to 650k. I'll test this one out a little bit more before I try a different driver.

Mobo : Crosshair Hero IV : AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
Ram : G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) GPU : MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X || EVGA GTX 1080 Hybrid
Cool : Corsair H100i PSU : Rosewill PHOTON Series 850W Full Modular


T0MB0 is offline  
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 07:15 AM
Daisy Chained Dumb Switch
 
navjack27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Bath, New York
Posts: 1,227
Rep: 50 (Unique: 39)
get on my level and client-type bigbeta... cuz as you know, bigbeta girls make the world go round

8700k
(10 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7 8700k
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7
GPU
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB FTW3 GAMING iCX
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB CMK32GX4M4A2666C15
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra II 480GB 2.5"
Hard Drive
PNY CS1311 960GB 2.5"
Power Supply
SeaSonic PRIME Titanium 850W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15
Case
Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
▲ hide details ▲


navjack27 is offline  
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 12:23 PM
Retired Staff
 
hertz9753's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bismarck, ND US
Posts: 11,941
Rep: 167 (Unique: 122)
I thought it was client-type fatfanny. nav you are a silly guy. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0MB0 View Post

Update on last post: Tried out the lastest driver 378.66. It was using my GPU boost, but was clocking 550k ppd redface.gif I left it running and went to work. Checked it just now after getting back, and it had went to 630k PPD, but GPU boost wasn't running anymore, so it downclocked it down to 1532 MHz (I believe.) Anyways, I opened up the viewer again, and it jumped up to 650k. I'll test this one out a little bit more before I try a different driver.

I think @msgclb is also trying that driver out.

Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.

AVR-Onkyo TX-NR808
Front amp-Adcom GFA 555>Polk Audio LSi9's(Vr3 Castle Mods)
Center amp-Adcom GFA 5400>Polk Audio LSi9 passive bi-amped(Vr3 Castle Mod)
Surrounds-Polk Audio F/X500's
Sub-Velodyne SPL-1000R


hertz9753 is offline  
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 12:49 PM
Daisy Chained Dumb Switch
 
navjack27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Bath, New York
Posts: 1,227
Rep: 50 (Unique: 39)
I thought compute only brings GPU to p2 power state when boost is enabled in BIOS

If you wanna be pedantic. DWM uses GPU. So run a black desktop with minimal things in your sys tray and taskbar and no desktop icons... But just irfanview open with a gif looping so you can see from afar if you froze up

8700k
(10 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7 8700k
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7
GPU
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB FTW3 GAMING iCX
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB CMK32GX4M4A2666C15
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra II 480GB 2.5"
Hard Drive
PNY CS1311 960GB 2.5"
Power Supply
SeaSonic PRIME Titanium 850W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15
Case
Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
▲ hide details ▲


navjack27 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off