Need opinions on gtx 1080 ti (AIO) - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Need opinions on gtx 1080 ti (AIO)

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Let me try to do this without having all my thoughts scattered...

I'm currently building a PC that I want to be a primary folding machine. I game very lightly, so i'm not too concerned with gaming. This is what I have already.
Rosewill Gaming ATX Full Tower Computer Case
Rosewill PHOTON Series 850W Full Modular Power Supply
ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero AM4 AMD X370
AMD RYZEN 7 1800X 8-Core 3.6 GHz
Hydro Series™ H100i Extreme Performance CPU Cooler
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB SATA III
MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X

I wanted to wait till the aftermarket gtx 1080 ti's come out. Preferably the Seahawk x https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1080-Ti-SEA-HAWK-X.html#hero-overview.
My case is big, but not meant for custom liquid cooling without some heavy mods, but does have good airflow, and I don't have much experience with AIO's. I wanted to know if I should go this route to be able to get decent cooling, with a decent OC, but not be limited on temperature due to the dual graphics cards. I pretty much want to see if someone can offer any insight into this build, and it is possible that i'll end up selling my gtx 1070 and swap it out for another 1080 ti aio in the future, so any thoughts on that would be appreciated as well.

Mobo : Crosshair Hero IV : AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
Ram : G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) GPU : MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X || EVGA GTX 1080 Hybrid
Cool : Corsair H100i PSU : Rosewill PHOTON Series 850W Full Modular

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 02:16 PM
I Love this Hobby!

Rep: 584 (Unique: 488)
See which one would be cheaper an AIO out of the package or something like this:

http://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=400-HY-5388-B1

-Guide to 1st Case Modding for Better GPU(s) Performance/Cooling-
https://www.overclock.net/case-mod-wo...ing-guide
-Guide to 2nd Case Modding for Better GPU(s) Performance/Cooling-
https://www.overclock.net/case-mod-wo...e-fan-mod
Bit'O'Heaven
(16 items)
Cigar ATX PC
(14 items)
CPU
Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5GHz
Motherboard
Asus Maximus VI Rog Gene
GPU
Gigabyte AMD R9 290 @ 1160GHz Core/1350GHz Mem
GPU
Gigabyte AMD R9 290 @ 1160GHz Core/1350GHz Mem
RAM
G.SKILL Trident X DDR3 16GB 2400MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 PRO 256GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 3TB
Optical Drive
Pioneer Black Blu-ray 16X BD-R 2X BD-RE
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1300W 80PLUS Gold Fully Modular
Cooling
Open Water Loop
Case
Fractal Design Arc Midi R2
Operating System
Win 7 Pro 64bit
Monitor
Nixeus EDG 27" Freesync 1440p 144Hz
Monitor
Samsung 245BW 24" 1200p 60Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G15
Mouse
Microsoft Sidewinder X5
Mousepad
ALLSOP Redmond Mouse Pad
Audio
Cambridge Soundworks 5.1
CPU
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.5GHz
Motherboard
ASRock Z77E-ITX mITX
GPU
Sapphire AMD HD 7990
RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3 8GB 1600MHz
Hard Drive
Crucial SSD 128GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda HDD 1TB
Optical Drive
LG DVD R/W
Power Supply
Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 Fully Modular
Cooling
Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H100
Case
BitFenix Prodigy Mini-ATX Black Case
Operating System
Win 7 Pro 64bit
Monitor
Samsung TV 52"
Keyboard
Logitech K330 Wireless
Mouse
Logitech M215 Wireless
Mousepad
Corsair Vengeance MM200
Audio
Yamaha RX-V681 PSB/PolkAudio 5.1
CPU
AMD Athlon II X4 640
Motherboard
ASRock N68C-GS
GPU
NVIDIA 6600GT
RAM
G. Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600MHz
Hard Drive
WD Caviar Blue 500GB 16MB Cache 7200RPM
Optical Drive
LG Optical Drive
Power Supply
Thermaltake TR2 600W
Cooling
Thermaltake Max Orb
Case
Cigar Boxes
Operating System
Windows 7
Monitor
Viewsonic 19” Flatscreen CRT
Keyboard
Gigabyte GK-K6800 103
Mouse
Zalman ZM-M300
Mouse
Corsair Vengeance MM200
▲ hide details ▲

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 03:03 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 84 (Unique: 59)
If the PC is going to be in a place where you aren't bothered by noise then a good aftermarket air cooler would be cheaper. If noise is a concern then those AIO's are very quiet. The blower fan only needs to cool the VRM's and memory but since the GPU is cooled by the liquid and doesn't get hot, the fan on the card won't spin up. If you want you could swap the fan on the rad for a proper good rad fan like a Vardar from EK.

Ah, I completely read your post now. If you are having dual cards in your system then AIO is the way to go providing you have space for the rads. I run two Strix 980Ti's in my main system and the top card is about 10-13'C hotter than the bottom card.

Video cards owned:
1x Titan XP (2016)
1x GTX 1080
1x GTX 1070
1x GTX 1060
1x GTA 1050Ti
2x GTX 980Ti Strix
1x GTX 780Ti

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 04:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 627 (Unique: 411)
The Seahawk is great. The EVGA Hybrid 1080 ti will also be great when it drops. I've been using dual EVGA Hybrid 980's for two years and they have been flawless. I bought stock, "reference" 980's and then added the Hybrid kits later ... which means I still have the reference coolers on my shelf.

There is an argument to be made that if you by a 1080 ti founders edition and add the EVGA Hybrid *kit* later ... that you will always have the stock cooler(s) to re install if there are ever problems with your Hybrid kit. If you buy a pre configured Hybrid card, either the Seahawk or the EVGA Variant, if the cooler fails in some way ... your stuck out if you are outside the RMA window.

Personally, I am leaning towards buying a reference and then adding the kit. But in the end, that's up to you ...

A funny story about that EVGA Titan X/1080 ti Hybrid kit linked to above?

When EVGA first posted that page a few days ago, they listed it for $119.00. Then just earlier this week, they jacked it up to a whopping $179.00 ... LOL ... me and a bunch of others who have been waiting for word of this kit totally went off on the EVGA forums about how ridiculous of a price gouging move it was and now ... just hours later (from this morning when I personally posted), EVGA now drops it to $159.00 ... very satisfying, such is the power of the user base ... $159.00 is still too much ... but hey ...

Man, the greed/price gouging of these companies astonishes me. Where is Danny Rand when you need him!!?? LOL ...

Here's the thread at EVGA where we turned the flames up (resulting in at least a $20 drop): EVGA 1080 ti Hybrid Kit discussion at EVGA Forums

I'll most likely buy a reference and add the EVGA Hybrid Kit ... even with the corporate gouging ... I like the idea of being able to re apply the reference cooler should anything ever fail on the Hybrid kit ...

Best of luck!

joel

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Wow, okay thanks for the replies. So the gist of it. AIO's will be the way to go (considering I can't do the custom loop without some serious modifications), but it may be better to get a kit rather than an AIO prebuilt. Consider price, and the fact that if I bought the kit, I could replace the reference coolers instead of being stuck with no graphics card for however long it takes to replace the cooler. Also I need to make sure my case can handle all the rads considering I planned to have an AIO on the CPU, but may change that to a Hyper 212 EVO if I do have to choose between the GPU and CPU.

The other one I did consider was the EVGA hybrid. It was actually the first, so i'll keep that option open as well.

@Captain_cannonfodder I'm assuming you're running dual graphics cards without the waterblock added for the aio, right? If so that 10-13*C is a good enough reason for me to want to lean towards the AIO.

Thanks again for all the information. It's something I'm dabbling with, and even though I did the research and everything looked good, it's still nice to verify without worrying about something I could of done different, like the kit I never considered.

Ram : G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) GPU : MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X || EVGA GTX 1080 Hybrid

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 07:19 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 84 (Unique: 59)
Those Strix cards are just air cooled. They work well but they can and do get loud. With an AIO, all the heat will get dumped into the rad then exhausted out via the fan. That being said, they can get loud themselves but you can get a better fan which is pretty dam cheap in comparison.

It comes down to this:
1. Can your case take a 240 for the CPU which I'd recommend as the bare minimum for 24/7 Max load for Ryzen.
2. Does your case have room for 2 120mm rads? Ideally you want them to exhaust so they dump the heat outside of the case. We are talking about 24/7 load so you want to get the heat away ASAP.
3. Can your case take all 3 at the same time?

Those AIO's are more expensive than even overclocked and speed binned fancy pants air cooled cards. Are you prepared to drop an extra 100 bones on that cooling per card? Is the PC going to be in your room or is it going to be in a place where noise doesn't matter? My Strix's have beastly air coolers on them but the trade off is they are bloody loud at 100% fan speed. That doesn't bother me but it might irritate you.

Another thing, since we are talking about mission critical operation where you're running things at 100% I'd look into buying a good quality PSU. That one you have is OK for a gaming setup but IMO not suitable for a pure folder.

Sorry to be picking apart your build here but I'm thinking you could get away with a 1700 and OC the snot of it to get it up to 1800X level performance at a fraction of the cost. The 1800X is a terrible overclocker plus, since the 1700 is a 65W chip you don't have that much heat to worry about. Use that money saved on a high end 80 Plus Gold or above PSU.

Video cards owned:
1x Titan XP (2016)
1x GTX 1080
1x GTX 1070
1x GTX 1060
1x GTA 1050Ti
2x GTX 980Ti Strix
1x GTX 780Ti

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rosewill PHOTON Series 850W Full Modular Power Supply, 80 PLUS Gold Certified would be the full thing. Sorry this is the one I bought https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182324 Which is a 80+ Gold

The case is a Rosewill Thor V2, I just realized the item description didn't really help much.

1. Can your case take a 240 for the CPU which I'd recommend as the bare minimum for 24/7 Max load for Ryzen.
My case does take a 240mm rad, and I do have that one already, which I planned to use on the cpu. I was debating on changing it out to my gpu, because I'm not certain I do want to fold on the processor. The 1800X is past the point of no return, the only thing I can do with it is get a replacement, not exchange.

I'm curious to see how much of a difference in *C a 120 vs a 240 mm rad will affect the cpu and gpu. If it does offer a big difference on the GPU I'd be inclined to throw it on the 1080 ti to get a more beefier OC.

2. Does your case have room for 2 120mm rads? Ideally you want them to exhaust so they dump the heat outside of the case. We are talking about 24/7 load so you want to get the heat away ASAP.
3. Can your case take all 3 at the same time?
The last 120mm AIO is the one i'm not certain about. Top of the case will fit the 240mm, the rear exhaust will be for one of the 120mm AIO, and the other 120mm AIO can be used at the bottom of the case. Or if I drill on the front panel I can use that but lose a 230mm intake (ehh) I'll know more once I put everything together, considering I still don't have the first GPU redface.gif

The Computer will be in my room, but I don't mind static noise, helps me sleep. wink.gif

Thanks for the feedback, I don't mind critiques, even if It's a mistake that's too late to fix on this build, I'll remember it for next time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in