New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Thinking of OC my GTX 980 any advice

My Specs are

i7 5930k (3.5 Ghz)

GTX 980

3TB HDD

16GB 2666mhz

What ranges should i try for overclocking?

4214F6DD-C65E-4D78-8344-0304A2386CC1.JPG 6764k .JPG file
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 08:02 PM
New to Overclock.net

Well, if you can keep it cool enough, i would push that core clock speed up to 1500Mhz and run some benchmarks to make sure it is stable. :thumbsups

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
@lanofsong tbh i don't wanna push it that much is there anything lower that would do better? And what would the settings be in msi afterburner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 09:01 PM
Crayon Evangelist

Rep: 469 (Unique: 321)
Each card is different, so your final overclock may be more or less than others. It also depends on your willingness to increase voltage, and ability to cool your card. A high overclock on the 980 is 1500/8000, which neither of my 980s will do reliably, much less in SLI.

You will need a reliable GPU test that will operate in a loop. I would suggest unigine valley or heaven. Both are free, and both loop.

Start by taking the Power % slider all the way to the max (120?)
Increase your core clock by 10Mhz steps and let it run for 10 minutes. Do this until it fails. Subtract 50Mhz from the speed that caused the crash...this will be your core overclock. Repeat these steps for memory with 25Mhz step.

This will get you close to max stable overclock on stock voltages. You can always increase voltage and repeat from your known Mhz values if you are not getting the performance out of your card that you want.

Overclocking GPUs is pretty straight forward. There is not much immediate risk involved to the card, save for overloading the PSU. GPU manufacturers have pretty much locked down voltage on GPUs to very conservative and very safe ranges...you pretty much cant fry your card using any of the sliders available.

Quote: Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post
Computex 2018: 'Ladies and Gentleman, people of all chromatic sensibilities and lighting clownery, we are proud to present the aaarrrrgggeeebeeee Circus Maximus!'
Quote: Originally Posted by TFL Replica View Post
I was initially interested in Fallout 76, but my enthusiasm was nuked.
Quote: Originally Posted by rush2049 View Post
If I lob a grenade and die and respawn before it exploded does it still explode?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in