Overclock.net banner

FoldingCoin: Get Paid to Fold for OCN

17K views 119 replies 30 participants last post by  Jpmboy 
#1 · (Edited)
I happened to be browsing EoC stats on other teams and saw some users on other teams with their wallet address as their username and were not on Curecoin's Team. I check their forums and found out it's possible to receive FoldingCoins (FLDC) by running FAH on other teams.

Downside: This requires changing your FAH username to one with your wallet address in it so you can be paid out.

1. Get a wallet. Go to https://wallet.counterwallet.io/# and click on 'Create New Wallet'. It will give you a 12 word passphrase. WRITE IT DOWN! Check the box saying you have saved the phrase and click continue. The next option is to create a quick access URL with your own password or it can be skipped. The quick access URL can be done later if needed. You'll then be sent back to the main page to log in by copying in the passphrase.

2. Sign up for an exchange. There are two exchanges that accept FLDC, Bittrex and Poloniex. Bittrex is not accepting new users so we're left with Poloniex. It requires a bunch of info and images of an ID. I signed up over a week ago and it hasn't been verified yet. An exchange is not needed to receive FLDC, just to sell them or change for Bitcoin, etc.

3. Change your FAH username. Payout is given to anyone with a certain kind of username with a set structure that contains their counterwallet address. The format is username_ALL_walletaddress. So for me I changed my username to mmonnin_ALL_1PBP3Vi2uVsYEeDEbvSNxw52J2xKHv1jzd . Since passkeys are tied to your username/email your old one no longer works. It didn't for me and I received no QRB. I suggest to quickly complete 10 good WUs with the NaCl in Chrome.

Payout comes on the 1st Saturday of the month. I folded on a GTX 970 for a week and had 2.25 million points. This netted me 171 FLDC which is about $4.40 at an exchange rate of $0.025783 per FLDC. Not a whole lot but I wasn't gaining anything before.

My 1st Payout to mmonnin_ALL_1PBP3Vi2uVsYEeDEbvSNxw52J2xKHv1jzd

Hopefully this will bring back some folders from mining and draw in some new folders. Credit for the info goes to Overclockers who are coming up fast.

Poloneix:
https://poloniex.com/

FoldingCoin FAQ
https://foldingcoin.net/index.php/faqs

FLDC to USD
https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/foldingcoin/

Get a new Passkey:
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/getpasskey.py

Folding Credit by WalletID: Edit URL for date time frame, Year-Month-Day.
http://foldingcoin.xyz/?token=FLDC&total=250000&start=2018-03-01&end=2018-03-07

Attachments

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Nice find mmonnin. The need for the wallet address at the end of your username is a bit tacky though.

I just wish all this mining stuff would go away , but if anyone is buying a GPU and doesn't want to waste electricity on imaginary things I guess this is a lesser evil.

The passphrase reminds me of electrum for BTC.

edit: another thing to note is unlike cyptomining folding does require PCIe lanes of x4 or greater typically. This means people can't scale indefinitely without a new motherboard once they pass a few cards. You know those 6+ GPU configurations on "mining" motherboards? Not happening unless you are running weaker GPUs such as GTX 750 Ti / GTX 960 / GTX 1050.

#6 · (Edited)
The wallet address does look ugly. But it allows for anyone to receive FLDC. Curecoin requires you to join their team. I wish Gridcoin would do something similar for BOINC.

I wish it would go away as well. The concept of a decentralized currency seems a bit like wearing a tinfoil hat. W/o a central authority, a currency will not be stable enough for widespread adoption to become a complete replacement for fiat. BTC is just for gambling and speculators atm. Those that are mining for an actual coin are alt coins and I'm not sure what those that mine ethereum, litecoin, monero, etc are doing with it besides holding it for eventual trading for BTC or fiat. I'm not that big into it but I'm not sure of the uses for mining other coins besides revenue.

At least in this case there is some actual benefit. The CPU/GPU is being put to good use besides crunching some hash algorithm to very a blockchain transfer. The computer has no extra software installed, and it's the exact same folding process with a wallet address as the name.

No 19 slot B350 motherboards will work for this for sure. There is also the CPU overhead for folding. An exponential credit return with QRB that entices users to push their cards.

#7 ·
My cousin has been mining after his former coworker (?) that works in a datacenter sold their coins at the $20K / BTC mark. I told him that it is a bit late to the party by a few years :p.

BTC has become too mainstream: my uncle who has little to no technology interest asked why people pay so much money for BTC after reading about it in a newspaper. It's that mainstream: all people involved (including those in charge of BTC) lost sight of the purpose , which is decentralized currency that can be sent anywhere with minimal time and payment. Now the BTC takes ages to process if you don't pay the transaction fee and most of the mining is done at an industrial level , with overtly large pools making the 51% attack susceptibility a prospect.

If gridcoin actually added something like BOINCStats where they simply use quorum 2 projects and checked your progression (with normalization based on project) it would be neat. As it is now, it just reeks of "sellout" to all the people that left their teams to get paid.

#8 ·
Interesting. Good to see a coin tied to something like Folding. I mess a bit with the cryptocoins (side hobby more or less), so glad to see this compare to the other ones.

#10 ·
Well, I am on orders at the moment and still in the process of moving. So, going to take time for me to get my Internet reset up again.

#11 ·
Definitely going to look into this for my non-TC rigs. If the numbers look good, then maybe I will consider putting this on a TC card.

#15 ·
I will talk with @lanofsong about potentially running some tests on the TC site, before we transition anyone's username to the long wallet username.

I thought for sure passkeys are unique to email address only... I think I remember that is how it was back in the days of the chimp challenges.

It would be really nice though to not have to change my name. There is nearly 9 years of folding for this team on my current username...
I feel that pain. It took me a long time to get to Team Position 23, and it will suck to start over :eek:

#13 ·
I thought for sure passkeys are unique to email address only... I think I remember that is how it was back in the days of the chimp challenges.

It would be really nice though to not have to change my name. There is nearly 9 years of folding for this team on my current username...

#14 ·
Passkey request site asks for username and email. My passkeys for both of my usernames(mmonnin and mmonnin_ALL_) are different but are for the same email. TC passkey is with another email. When I entered it into the client they did not match. There was no QRB for the 1st several tasks.

The Overclockers site mentioned using the same passkey but from what I've seen I've needed a new one.

It sucks using a new username but if GPU progression continues with QRB it won't take nearly as long to surpass yourself. I've done it twice as prior teams have fizzled out.

#17 ·
That works. I can setup my 980 for foldingcoin for testing.

And I suppose, if anyone else has a GPU they want to throw into the mix, PM it to lanofson and me.

#19 ·
This folding coin bodes well for those of you who have very cheap electricity costs, and have a stock pile of 5xxx and 6xxx AMD cards that utterly suck for crypto mining, but still have enough grunt to make SOME sort of folding impact.

They are nearly given away near me, but I pay over 11 cents per kW, so not worth it unless I stumble onto the dual chip cards for a killer price

#20 ·
FAH credit has a bonus for how quickly it is returned that is more exponential than linear. So the faster work is returned the more and more credit received. And thus more FLDC per watt. So IMO it's not worth running anything beyond NV's Maxwell lineup or AMD R9 lineup (and even that's pushing it considering how much better NV is at folding). That's mainly due to the performance/cost of running it. I have plenty of older cards laying around that I don't use even for BOINC due to not being very cost efficient besides heating my house.

#23 ·
whoa! color me interested!

sorry for asking, having never folded before (procrastination!) and would need to put my spare part together (the mobo is breadboarded to trouble shoot), should i go get the wallet now?

also the huge n00b question:
can someone be so kind as to drop a link or two to help me get started. i know about google but does anyone have a favorite get started guide?

TIA.

#24 ·
#30 ·
#32 ·
Hey @mmonnin, just to get a bit of clarification (haven't had enough coffee yet today lol), is it possible to use the same username with multiple passkeys, similarly to how we configured our TC accounts?

Also, have you noticed any loss in PPD on using FoldingCoin? (the real priorities here /s) :rolleyes: :p

What specifically are you talking about? I am not familiar with that link (or at least, I don't think I am)..

#37 ·
Found this thread and decided to start folding with Heatripper Threadkiller. Also joined the OCN team. W00t!

#49 ·
Nice I see there is another member Folding and earning, thermotto
Yep, that's me. I figured since I needed a new folding name anyway I might as well go with something different.

Some of us are already folding on our own accord so receiving some payment is just icing on the cake.
Considering I've been folding 24/7 for more than five years, it would take a long time to break even. Any recuperation of operating costs is helpful.

#44 ·
I know you need to be on the Curecoin team to get curecoin, but I am just pointing out that it is greater than $0 profit based on the calculators. If you set curecoin value = $0 you end up with what I stated

#45 · (Edited)
Okay I think I got everything setup last night. Now I just need some way to verify that the FLDC is actually being generated.

EDIT: I just saw the verification info in OP, looks like everything's working :D

#47 ·
Yup, that's the indication you'll receive FLDC on the payout date.

Nice incentive! I'd join in, but my 11 year old laptop isn't gonna fold 10c a month, hahaha. Coins are getting popular these days, eh? :)
I doubt CPUs would pay for their electricity, even brand new ones. The processors worth using would be GPUs.

Some of us are already folding on our own accord so receiving some payment is just icing on the cake.

#48 ·
Nice incentive! I'd join in, but my 11 year old laptop isn't gonna fold 10c a month, hahaha. Coins are getting popular these days, eh? :)
I doubt CPUs would pay for their electricity, even brand new ones. The processors worth using would be GPUs.

Yeah exactly. The lot of us are already folding 24/7 for the Team Competition, or just because we enjoy it.

Speaking of which, I just setup 2 more passkeys on that username, and I started crunching on them to get the QRB started. Once I start seeing the QRB across everything, I will transition my TC cards onto those passkeys. :)

#52 ·
Verified that I'm earning FLDC as well...

1PQLXqv99ECmEpa94a9DmUDSnsJVDU96Vd 7343453 0 7343453

Damn server didn't give me any CPU WU for four hours this morning and it was pissing me off. I pause folding enough myself to game and such ... I don't need the server to deprive my system of WU too.

#53 ·
@valvehead Out of curiousity, what hardware are you folding on?

If you are already folding 24/7, we'd love to have you in the TC (if you have applicable hardware) :)

#54 ·
@valvehead Out of curiousity, what hardware are you folding on?

If you are already folding 24/7, we'd love to have you in the TC (if you have applicable hardware) :)
I have a pair of Titan Xp cards (each one in a different PC), but I only fold on those when I'm not using them at night.

I am folding 24/7 on my server (4 threads on a 2600K). Pitiful PPD, but I might as well fold on it since it's always on. The server has had dGPU(s) occasionally for folding, but it's currently just running on the iGPU.

I've been in the TC twice before, and both times my entire team abandoned me (except @LarsL). I might rejoin someday, but not right now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.