FoldingCoin: Get Paid to Fold for OCN - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

FoldingCoin: Get Paid to Fold for OCN

post #1 of 97 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 276 (Unique: 130)
FoldingCoin: Get Paid to Fold for OCN

I happened to be browsing EoC stats on other teams and saw some users on other teams with their wallet address as their username and were not on Curecoin's Team. I check their forums and found out it's possible to receive FoldingCoins (FLDC) by running FAH on other teams.

Downside: This requires changing your FAH username to one with your wallet address in it so you can be paid out.

1. Get a wallet. Go to https://wallet.counterwallet.io/# and click on 'Create New Wallet'. It will give you a 12 word passphrase. WRITE IT DOWN! Check the box saying you have saved the phrase and click continue. The next option is to create a quick access URL with your own password or it can be skipped. The quick access URL can be done later if needed. You'll then be sent back to the main page to log in by copying in the passphrase.

2. Sign up for an exchange. There are two exchanges that accept FLDC, Bittrex and Poloniex. Bittrex is not accepting new users so we're left with Poloniex. It requires a bunch of info and images of an ID. I signed up over a week ago and it hasn't been verified yet. An exchange is not needed to receive FLDC, just to sell them or change for Bitcoin, etc.

3. Change your FAH username. Payout is given to anyone with a certain kind of username with a set structure that contains their counterwallet address. The format is username_ALL_walletaddress. So for me I changed my username to mmonnin_ALL_1PBP3Vi2uVsYEeDEbvSNxw52J2xKHv1jzd . Since passkeys are tied to your username/email your old one no longer works. It didn't for me and I received no QRB. I suggest to quickly complete 10 good WUs with the NaCl in Chrome.

Payout comes on the 1st Saturday of the month. I folded on a GTX 970 for a week and had 2.25 million points. This netted me 171 FLDC which is about $4.40 at an exchange rate of $0.025783 per FLDC. Not a whole lot but I wasn't gaining anything before.

My 1st Payout to mmonnin_ALL_1PBP3Vi2uVsYEeDEbvSNxw52J2xKHv1jzd

Hopefully this will bring back some folders from mining and draw in some new folders. Credit for the info goes to Overclockers who are coming up fast.

Poloneix:
https://poloniex.com/

FoldingCoin FAQ
https://foldingcoin.net/index.php/faqs

FLDC to USD
https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/foldingcoin/

Get a new Passkey:
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/getpasskey.py

Folding Credit by WalletID: Edit URL for date time frame, Year-Month-Day.
http://foldingcoin.xyz/?token=FLDC&t...end=2018-03-07
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1stPayout.png
Views:	1267
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	103833  

Last edited by mmonnin; 03-07-2018 at 05:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 97 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 09:25 AM
Guitar + Amp = Happiness

Rep: 171 (Unique: 149)
This is cool. I don't have the hardware for it anymore but its a nice incentive

Feel free to correct me. I'm right just as often as I am wrong. Or wrong as equally as I am right at least. I dunno I could be wrong about that..

post #3 of 97 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Megaman_90 View Post
This is cool. I don't have the hardware for it anymore but its a nice incentive
There is no PPD limit. Any CPU/GPU will work.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 97 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 09:45 AM
Guitar + Amp = Happiness

Rep: 171 (Unique: 149)
Quote: Originally Posted by mmonnin View Post
There is no PPD limit. Any CPU/GPU will work.
Hehe Maybe I will. I haven't [email protected] since my GTX 260 back in the day.

Feel free to correct me. I'm right just as often as I am wrong. Or wrong as equally as I am right at least. I dunno I could be wrong about that..

post #5 of 97 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 12:01 PM
⤷ αC

Rep: 833 (Unique: 555)
Nice find mmonnin. The need for the wallet address at the end of your username is a bit tacky though.

I just wish all this mining stuff would go away , but if anyone is buying a GPU and doesn't want to waste electricity on imaginary things I guess this is a lesser evil.

The passphrase reminds me of electrum for BTC.

edit: another thing to note is unlike cyptomining folding does require PCIe lanes of x4 or greater typically. This means people can't scale indefinitely without a new motherboard once they pass a few cards. You know those 6+ GPU configurations on "mining" motherboards? Not happening unless you are running weaker GPUs such as GTX 750 Ti / GTX 960 / GTX 1050.

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

Last edited by AlphaC; 03-05-2018 at 12:10 PM.
post #6 of 97 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by AlphaC View Post
Nice find mmonnin. The need for the wallet address at the end of your username is a bit tacky though.

I just wish all this mining stuff would go away , but if anyone is buying a GPU and doesn't want to waste electricity on imaginary things I guess this is a lesser evil.

The passphrase reminds me of electrum for BTC.

edit: another thing to note is unlike cyptomining folding does require PCIe lanes of x4 or greater typically. This means people can't scale indefinitely without a new motherboard once they pass a few cards. You know those 6+ GPU configurations on "mining" motherboards? Not happening unless you are running weaker GPUs such as GTX 750 Ti / GTX 960 / GTX 1050.
The wallet address does look ugly. But it allows for anyone to receive FLDC. Curecoin requires you to join their team. I wish Gridcoin would do something similar for BOINC.

I wish it would go away as well. The concept of a decentralized currency seems a bit like wearing a tinfoil hat. W/o a central authority, a currency will not be stable enough for widespread adoption to become a complete replacement for fiat. BTC is just for gambling and speculators atm. Those that are mining for an actual coin are alt coins and I'm not sure what those that mine ethereum, litecoin, monero, etc are doing with it besides holding it for eventual trading for BTC or fiat. I'm not that big into it but I'm not sure of the uses for mining other coins besides revenue.

At least in this case there is some actual benefit. The CPU/GPU is being put to good use besides crunching some hash algorithm to very a blockchain transfer. The computer has no extra software installed, and it's the exact same folding process with a wallet address as the name.

No 19 slot B350 motherboards will work for this for sure. There is also the CPU overhead for folding. An exponential credit return with QRB that entices users to push their cards.

Last edited by mmonnin; 03-05-2018 at 01:15 PM.
post #7 of 97 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 01:44 PM
⤷ αC

Rep: 833 (Unique: 555)
My cousin has been mining after his former coworker (?) that works in a datacenter sold their coins at the $20K / BTC mark. I told him that it is a bit late to the party by a few years .

BTC has become too mainstream: my uncle who has little to no technology interest asked why people pay so much money for BTC after reading about it in a newspaper. It's that mainstream: all people involved (including those in charge of BTC) lost sight of the purpose , which is decentralized currency that can be sent anywhere with minimal time and payment. Now the BTC takes ages to process if you don't pay the transaction fee and most of the mining is done at an industrial level , with overtly large pools making the 51% attack susceptibility a prospect.

If gridcoin actually added something like BOINCStats where they simply use quorum 2 projects and checked your progression (with normalization based on project) it would be neat. As it is now, it just reeks of "sellout" to all the people that left their teams to get paid.

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

post #8 of 97 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 03:18 PM
Just a Crazy Cat in a Box

Rep: 84 (Unique: 63)
Interesting. Good to see a coin tied to something like Folding. I mess a bit with the cryptocoins (side hobby more or less), so glad to see this compare to the other ones.

I'm just a crazy nutty gal that likes computer hardware.
Got bad hardware hoard habit too.

My consoles
Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, PS2 FAT, PS2, PS4 Pro, Switch, Xbox One S, Xbox One X, Xbox
Just the Main
(14 items)
Side Server
(9 items)
CPU
1950X
Motherboard
ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E
GPU
Titan Xp
GPU
Titan Xp
GPU
GTX 1080Ti FTW3
RAM
GSkill 32GB 3200MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro m.2 512GB
Hard Drive
Crucial 512GB SSD
Hard Drive
Shucked WD Helium 10TB
Hard Drive
WD Purple 8TB
Power Supply
EVGA 1300W
Case
Case Lab TX10
Operating System
Stripped W10 LTSB
Monitor
Acer Predator X27
CPU
1900X
Motherboard
ASUS PRIME X399
GPU
GTX 960 FTW
GPU
GTX 1080Ti SC
RAM
Corsair 16GB 3000MHz
Hard Drive
Intel 120GB SSD
Power Supply
AX1200i
Case
Define S
Operating System
Mint Mate 18.3 Modify
Monitor
30inch Dell Ultrasharp 1200p
CPU
E5-2670V3
Motherboard
ASUS X99-A II
GPU
1070 Hybrid
RAM
GSkill 32GB
Hard Drive
Intel 120GB SSD
Power Supply
TX750
Case
Case Lab SM8
Operating System
CentOS 7
Monitor
Remote Terminal all day!
▲ hide details ▲

post #9 of 97 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I'm surprised no one else has set it up yet. All but 2 of TSC! Russia top 20 have usernames with wallets in them. Looks like 3/4 of their active users are with wallets.
https://folding.extremeoverclocking....php?s=&t=47191

post #10 of 97 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 03:43 PM
Just a Crazy Cat in a Box

Rep: 84 (Unique: 63)
Well, I am on orders at the moment and still in the process of moving. So, going to take time for me to get my Internet reset up again.

I'm just a crazy nutty gal that likes computer hardware.
Got bad hardware hoard habit too.

My consoles
Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, PS2 FAT, PS2, PS4 Pro, Switch, Xbox One S, Xbox One X, Xbox
Just the Main
(14 items)
Side Server
(9 items)
CPU
1950X
Motherboard
ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E
GPU
Titan Xp
GPU
Titan Xp
GPU
GTX 1080Ti FTW3
RAM
GSkill 32GB 3200MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro m.2 512GB
Hard Drive
Crucial 512GB SSD
Hard Drive
Shucked WD Helium 10TB
Hard Drive
WD Purple 8TB
Power Supply
EVGA 1300W
Case
Case Lab TX10
Operating System
Stripped W10 LTSB
Monitor
Acer Predator X27
CPU
1900X
Motherboard
ASUS PRIME X399
GPU
GTX 960 FTW
GPU
GTX 1080Ti SC
RAM
Corsair 16GB 3000MHz
Hard Drive
Intel 120GB SSD
Power Supply
AX1200i
Case
Define S
Operating System
Mint Mate 18.3 Modify
Monitor
30inch Dell Ultrasharp 1200p
CPU
E5-2670V3
Motherboard
ASUS X99-A II
GPU
1070 Hybrid
RAM
GSkill 32GB
Hard Drive
Intel 120GB SSD
Power Supply
TX750
Case
Case Lab SM8
Operating System
CentOS 7
Monitor
Remote Terminal all day!
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in