Folding Rig Build Log - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Folding Rig Build Log

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 13 (Unique: 12)
Folding Rig Build Log

Originally, I was just going to build something small to fold and be periodically active here again. But some things changed and I now take it as seriously as I did when I first started. I think those changes justify some sort of log. If you're interested, keep reading. (This guide may be useful to miners or other applications as well, who knows. The experience alone is invaluable to me, even if I stop doing [email protected])

Since I want to make things as efficient as possible, I'm building it like a mining rig. Although I'm quite versatile, I don't often build PCs (anymore). For these rigs, you have GPUs well past the norm. I'm only used to what you can properly fit in a case. The use of risers is new to me (although I have heard of them before). Much of my HW was purchased before my situation improved. Considering that, I am likely to make changes soon. For starters, let's list my hardware.

NZXT Gamma PC Case: https://www.newegg.com/black-nzxt-ga...82E16811146061
ASRock B360 Pro4 ATX Motherboard: https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/B360%20Pro4/index.asp
Intel Core i3-8100 CPU: https://www.newegg.com/core-i3-8th-g...-822-_-Product
Corsair 8 GB DDR4 Memory: https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/Catego...8GX4M1A2400C16
Seasonic Focus 750w Gold Power Supply: https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-focu...-201-_-Product
EVGA GTX 1070 SC: https://www.evga.com/products/produc...08g-p4-6173-kr

This was my original line-up. I was trying to go drive-less and do PXE booting. Although I still like the idea, it's obviously memory intensive, complicated, and (potentially) more expensive. Since it was taking days to figure it out, I just wanted to start folding so I put in an old laptop HDD I had lying around.

My situation changed recently when I investigated running the rigs at a datacenter. The price per kWh is cheaper. After some talks, I’ve started the process. Since I’ll be out of a rack, I figured I should build it like a mining rig. It's easy to add-on in the future and is very efficient (and well it mounts). I was initially concerned about the PCI-E slots dropping from x16, when enough slots are populated. It's my understanding now that bandwidth isn't important. Work units are only a few MB. In any case, they're virtually instantly loaded. It won't impact my PPD.

Hydra II 8 GPU 6U Server Mining Rig Case: https://www.amazon.com/Hydra-Server-...tronics&sr=1-2
Ubit PCI-E Riser Adapter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Apevia 120mm Fan Grill: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

First impressions were good, of the case. Seems very sturdy. Has just a toggle power button, comes with lots of screws, and even comes with 6 120mm fan grills.

First, the power supply. Had a bit of trouble getting the mount holes to line up at first. Then suddenly they did and it was smooth sailing from there.

Next, I got the motherboard in. No real issues here.

GPU and riser. This was a pain point for me. Since I've never done this, it was a bit unclear how to mount the GPU or power the GPU/riser. I figured out the GPU should sit in the slit slots. Before that, it was pretty unstable and I was worried it was going to fall out. That also made the riser underneath fit better. Second, I was confused about all the ports on the riser. Eventually I powered the riser with a molex connection and connected the 8-pin connector to the GPU.

The molex connector, not pictured here, is on the other side (too tight a space to see).

Finally, the hard drive. Easily mounted to the side of the case.

After my issue with powering the riser, everything fired up nicely. At first, I was wishing I hadn't ordered the extra set of fan grills (as I wasn't aware they were provided). Then I mounted one wrong, not knowing it had a flare to it. It broke one of the metal screw points off. Glad I ordered another set.

Going forward, I'm going to make some HW changes. All of the items below are on their way. First, the fans in place are temporary. The permanent ones are coming from China, so probably will arrive end of the month. Although high dBA, they have high CFM and will be in a DC (so no issue with noise).

Delta 120mm case fan: https://www.newegg.com/delta-afb1212...82E16835213001

Next, storage. I prefer a more streamlined solution and not to take up one of my PSU connectors for one hard drive. The motherboard has an m.2 slot, this will work perfectly.

Vaskey M.2 2280 60 GB Solid State Drive: https://www.newegg.com/vaseky-v900-6...0D9-00D6-00053

Lastly, fans again. My front fan almost didn't reach the board. Since I'll have 6 fans, it's definitely good to get a controller.

Deepcool FH-10 Fan Hub: https://www.newegg.com/vaseky-v900-6...0D9-00D6-00053

For software, the box currently runs stock Ubuntu 18.04. I've slimmed it down a bit (no GUI), but I'm definitely missing some things. I'll probably switch to Lubuntu, as it has a much smaller install disc. From there, removing anything not necessary (like the desktop).

6/13/19

Had further talks with the DC, looks like everything will be ready for me to move in tomorrow.

6/17/19

I was too busy over the weekend, especially with Father's Day. Today my guy was out of office. Too bad, I really wanted to be up and running for this month's FAT. Seems like I'll be able to talk with him tomorrow about the progress.

6/19/19

I was able to check out the space. Internet still needs to be dropped in. My additional parts also arrived. I didn't think to check the dimensions on the fans. They're a lot deeper than regular ones I'm used to, so I can only fit the front 3. The ones by the GPU rails collide. Will need to find some slimmer, high CFM fans for alternatives.

As for the SSD, didn't have a screw handy. Perhaps it came with my used motherboard; otherwise, I'm on the hunt.

Once that's done, I'll be reinstalling the OS and trying to tidy up the cables. I also received the fan controller, but haven't placed it permanently yet. The fan cables are a bit shorter than my old fans. If I want to run them neatly, I'll need extensions. These look like they'll do nicely: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

6/25/19

Been on holiday. Last week, I heard I got the network config details for my crossconnect. Not sure if the physical cable has been dropped yet.

Last edited by tmontney; 06-25-2019 at 10:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 06:34 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 276 (Unique: 130)
Nice. With all that extra space, will you be using the other 4 PCI-E slots?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 07:00 PM
Missing the Old days

Rep: 247 (Unique: 214)
notice any loss in PPD using a riser? I noticed almost a 30% decrease on my 980

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams beneath your feet. Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."
Folding Rack
(10 items)
Work Folder
(7 items)
CPU
AMD r7 2700x
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero
GPU
Nvidia Titan X Pascal
GPU
Zotac GTX 980 AMP!
RAM
PNY Anarchy-X 2x8GB 3200Mhz
Hard Drive
256GB Plextor M8Pe m.2
Power Supply
Corsair RM750X
Case
big metal box
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 x64
Monitor
DELL S2716DG
Keyboard
Logitech G910
Mouse
Logitech G602
Mouse
Steelseries Mat
Audio
Logitech G602
Other
steam controller
CPU
AMD r7 1700x
Motherboard
MSI X470 Gaming Plus
GPU
GIGABYTE GTX 1080
GPU
GIGABYTE GTX 1080
RAM
Geil EVO 1x4GB DDR4
Hard Drive
Toshiba 3TB
Power Supply
Silverstone ST-1000PT
Case
4U Rosewill
Operating System
Ubuntu 18.04LTS
Monitor
Headless
CPU
AMD FX8350
Motherboard
BIOStar TA970
GPU
AMD FURY X
GPU
Zotac GTX 960
RAM
Gskill 2x8GB DDR3
Hard Drive
Western Digital Blue 2TB
Power Supply
Corsair 650w
▲ hide details ▲

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by mmonnin View Post
Nice. With all that extra space, will you be using the other 4 PCI-E slots?
Eventually. I've been finding GTX 1070s that were sealed from a recent RMA, still with warranty, about half the price. Hopefully I can find more like that. I'll just keep adding on every 2 weeks to a month.

Quote: Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
notice any loss in PPD using a riser? I noticed almost a 30% decrease on my 980
You noticed reduction with a riser? I did notice it started out at mid 750 then dropped about 50 to 75. I didn't give it much time, only ran 1 WU. Figured it was just the WU itself. I'll have to see once it's setup. Hopefully it doesn't, it doesn't affect mining. I don't know why [email protected] would be different.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 03:36 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by tmontney View Post
Eventually. I've been finding GTX 1070s that were sealed from a recent RMA, still with warranty, about half the price. Hopefully I can find more like that. I'll just keep adding on every 2 weeks to a month.

You noticed reduction with a riser? I did notice it started out at mid 750 then dropped about 50 to 75. I didn't give it much time, only ran 1 WU. Figured it was just the WU itself. I'll have to see once it's setup. Hopefully it doesn't, it doesn't affect mining. I don't know why [email protected] would be different.
FAH uses the CPU during processing. Thats why there is performance loss with 1x riser cards. It's a small % each drop from like a 16x to 8x or 3.0 to 2.0.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by mmonnin View Post
FAH uses the CPU during processing. Thats why there is performance loss with 1x riser cards. It's a small % each drop from like a 16x to 8x or 3.0 to 2.0.
I guess mining doesn't require any CPU overhead? I wonder why that is. I also wonder what the next best thing is if risers reduce performance.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 05:57 PM
Missing the Old days

Rep: 247 (Unique: 214)
I guess mining doesn't require any CPU overhead? I wonder why that is. I also wonder what the next best thing is if risers reduce performance.
I was personally going to try x16 to x16 ribbon risers... Just get a motherboard with 4-5 pci-e x16 and do it that way?

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams beneath your feet. Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."
Folding Rack
(10 items)
Work Folder
(7 items)
CPU
AMD r7 2700x
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero
GPU
Nvidia Titan X Pascal
GPU
Zotac GTX 980 AMP!
RAM
PNY Anarchy-X 2x8GB 3200Mhz
Hard Drive
256GB Plextor M8Pe m.2
Power Supply
Corsair RM750X
Case
big metal box
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 x64
Monitor
DELL S2716DG
Keyboard
Logitech G910
Mouse
Logitech G602
Mouse
Steelseries Mat
Audio
Logitech G602
Other
steam controller
CPU
AMD r7 1700x
Motherboard
MSI X470 Gaming Plus
GPU
GIGABYTE GTX 1080
GPU
GIGABYTE GTX 1080
RAM
Geil EVO 1x4GB DDR4
Hard Drive
Toshiba 3TB
Power Supply
Silverstone ST-1000PT
Case
4U Rosewill
Operating System
Ubuntu 18.04LTS
Monitor
Headless
CPU
AMD FX8350
Motherboard
BIOStar TA970
GPU
AMD FURY X
GPU
Zotac GTX 960
RAM
Gskill 2x8GB DDR3
Hard Drive
Western Digital Blue 2TB
Power Supply
Corsair 650w
▲ hide details ▲

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
I was personally going to try x16 to x16 ribbon risers... Just get a motherboard with 4-5 pci-e x16 and do it that way?
Because most boards I come across will downgrade to x8 or x4 if too many are populated. Do you know of any that don't do this?

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 06:59 PM
New to Overclock.net

Because most boards I come across will downgrade to x8 or x4 if too many are populated. Do you know of any that don't do this?
AFAIK all will do this as there are only so many PCI-E lanes. AMD offers the most PCI-E lanes for single CPUs with TR or go with 2P builds to get more full slots. Or take some slight drops in performance with 4x/8x lanes to use 1 PC.

Tags
fah , folding , log

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in