2 FAH programs - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

2 FAH programs

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
When running 2 fah programs on id1 and 2 arent they supposed to be working on different cores? just curious, both of mine are running the same exact core in sync. This doesn't seem like it makes it run any faster, it's just doing the same work twice

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 06:13 AM
Overclockiit

Rep: 364 (Unique: 216)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goin Nutz
When running 2 fah programs on id1 and 2 arent they supposed to be working on different cores? just curious, both of mine are running the same exact core in sync. This doesn't seem like it makes it run any faster, it's just doing the same work twice
Ok first thing you gotta have Hyper Threading if you plan on running 2 cores which im sure you have, Second thing is download the graphical version and run it, now download the console version and go thru the setup process, when it comes to advanced settings click yes and u will see change machine id from 1-8 put it on 2 and you should be ok.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 07:46 AM
Retired Staff

Rep: 806 (Unique: 414)
I believe it works on both on identical units simultaneously...then sends the results for each, getting you two times the points for doing 1 unit.

I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

You'll see that you may have repeated the same unit alot. I have repeated p639 about 16 times! (but thats ok!)

post-flame-small.gif Retirement isn't all it's cracked up to be post-flame-small.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 10:50 AM
Retired Staff

Rep: 354 (Unique: 187)
If it is set up correctly, you will have two FAH processes running at the same time, each taking up x% of CPU power. The two installations will most likely by running on two different work units. Both installations just could happen to download the same work unit, but the progress on each would be different. Sometime this week, hopefully, I will mess around with it and get two different console installations running at once just to make sure I know how to set it up, then I will post a thread on how to do it.

Fold for the cure & team 37726!!
H2O cooling: Chevette heatercore, 172mm 258CFM fan, Apogee GT, and Ehiem 1250. Load temp @ 1.45vcore 41C.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thx guys, now I find that the cores keep shutting down, this is just pissing me off, the graphical version doesn't even want to work right now.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 11:46 AM
Overclockiit

Rep: 364 (Unique: 216)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goin Nutz
Thx guys, now I find that the cores keep shutting down, this is just pissing me off, the graphical version doesn't even want to work right now.
I had the same exact problem right before a WU would finish i would get an error and the core would stop working it did it like 5 times till i said the heck with it and i tried everything to fix it but i had to uninstall it.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Yep, I just uninstalled everything, went back a few days to a restore point and finally the graphics version is working again. sadly though I am not going to try to run 2 at the same time on this CPU until they get the bugs fixed, unless it's just my CPU causing the problems.

Thanks for your help guys

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 03:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 76 (Unique: 44)
Ok this is how you run two CONSOLE clients on the same system.

Download the console client

Extract the file to a folder anywhere on your computer, mine is in "My Documents" Call the first one "FAH1"

Double click on the console in that version. It is the red icon in the folder.

Imput your settings and make sure that you change opt to change advanced settings.

Make the machine ID 1. And set it to run as a service if you want it to run on startup.

Repeat these steps and replace the 1's with 2's. So now you new folder will be "FAH2" and the Machine ID will be 2.

Now you got two console clients running in the background using your extra CPU power.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 05:41 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 173 (Unique: 136)
and only ht can do this right?

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 06:21 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 76 (Unique: 44)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznchowboy650
and only ht can do this right?
yup or a dual cpu mobo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in