ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 Unboxing and Mini-review - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 Unboxing and Mini-review

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Just got a lean and mean ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 motherboard for your consideration. I've already considered it. And so far so good... My last motherboard is re-assigned to other duties.wink.gif I was going to go Ivy Bridge...and perhaps I might..but for now, I picked-up another i5 2500k. My goal is 5 Ghz 24/7. With some work, I just might get it with this board.cool.gif

You'll notice that the board is thinner than a typical ATX motherboard. Not a problem for me...but you'll notice in the mounting pics that the last set of holes (that line up with a typical ATX motherboard) are bare.

2h7l43n.jpg

vpuq8w.jpg

dw98a8.jpg

icsio9.jpg

2roktc4.jpg

332b31c.jpg

This is a straight out of the box overclock and some tweaking is certainly needed, but i'm pleased. The 3DMark 11 score is with 830/2000 MHz OC on the 480s.

29qeijo.png

otpugy.png

My thoughts.... easy as pie to set-up and overclock. 30 seconds from hitting the power-on button to Chrome with an Intel 320 80GB SSD. BIOS is simple to work with. Of course, i'll need more time with this board but for $135 shipped, it's looking very, very good. biggrin.gif

I believe you can also pick-up this board with a Microcenter deal for under $100. If you're looking for an inexpensive gamer...this might be the way to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 01:00 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 28 (Unique: 27)
really great budget board, my friend may upgrade his PC and I might recommend this for him... REP+ for the "Mini-review" specool.gif
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 04:53 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Very nice.
I'm ordering this today and looking to use with my NH-D14 for some 2500k overclocking fun. biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 05:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 33 (Unique: 30)
I picked this board up from microcenter with an IB core i5 3570K for 296.16 after tax. They dont have the motherboard listed on their site anymore but the cpu is still only 189.99.

I am having problems with this motherboard and freezing in the bios screen. It boots into windows stable after I have applied the settings but it will freeze in the BIOS screen. This happens when I go any higher than 4600MHz.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 05:37 PM
Stock *ahem*

Rep: 307 (Unique: 237)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacin9guild View Post

Just got a lean and mean ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 motherboard for your consideration. I've already considered it. And so far so good... My last motherboard is re-assigned to other duties.wink.gif I was going to go Ivy Bridge...and perhaps I might..but for now, I picked-up another i5 2500k. My goal is 5 Ghz 24/7. With some work, I just might get it with this board.cool.gif
You'll notice that the board is thinner than a typical ATX motherboard. Not a problem for me...but you'll notice in the mounting pics that the last set of holes (that line up with a typical ATX motherboard) are bare.

This is a straight out of the box overclock and some tweaking is certainly needed, but i'm pleased. The 3DMark 11 score is with 830/2000 MHz OC on the 480s.
29qeijo.png

My thoughts.... easy as pie to set-up and overclock. 30 seconds from hitting the power-on button to Chrome with an Intel 320 80GB SSD. BIOS is simple to work with. Of course, i'll need more time with this board but for $135 shipped, it's looking very, very good. biggrin.gif
I believe you can also pick-up this board with a Microcenter deal for under $100. If you're looking for an inexpensive gamer...this might be the way to go.

Holy hotcakes! If I had the money, I think I'd be seriously considering this bad boy and an i5 2500K - 4.8 GHz with just "standard" recipe overclocking? Sign me up when I get a pile of money dumped on me from on high. tongue.gifbiggrin.gifthumb.gif
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

I can post my 2500K @ 6 Ghz with ease. But getting into Windows is another story no matter what the vcore. I am guessing your issue might be Ivy Bridge. I can get 4.9 ghz stable...probably 5 GHz....but it freezes for me in Windows in anything over 5.1 GHz. It's frustrating to see that lovely "5900 Mhz" in the BIOS. I want that suicide run. smile.gif I just picked up an H100 from Amazon. Temps look good for 4.9 Ghz. I think this puppy needs some break-in time. At least I hope it does....
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 02:53 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Thanks for the review, i have just recieved my motherboard today, straight away running 4.8 @1.28v max temp 56 on custom watercooling.

Realy nice board wink.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in