[OFFICIAL] ROG Maximus V Owners Club - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[OFFICIAL] ROG Maximus V Owners Club

post #21 of 4022 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 01:59 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hey guys, what are your windows start up times with the maximus V
series?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 4022 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 02:23 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 40 (Unique: 36)
Finally, a club for my M5G. I ll post a pic when i get home wink.gif

Pure Dark TJ07
(17 items)
CPU
[email protected] - 1.34v
Motherboard
Asus Maximus X Hero
GPU
Palit GTX 1060 6Gb Super JetStream
RAM
Gskill Trident Z RBG 2x8Gb 3600C16 @ 4000C17
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Evo 250Gb
Hard Drive
WD Red 3TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 850W
Cooling
XSPC Raystorm
Cooling
ThermoChill PA120.3 - 3xAP15
Cooling
Swiftech MCP655V - EK Top
Case
TJ07 Full Matte Black (Modded)
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
Samsung S27A850D (2560x1440)
Keyboard
Logitech G Pro
Mouse
Logitech G903 Lightspeed
Audio
Asus Xonar Essence STX
Audio
Εpoz Aktimate Mini on IsoAcoustics
▲ hide details ▲

post #23 of 4022 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 39 (Unique: 36)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vassp View Post

Hey guys, what are your windows start up times with the maximus V
series?

My start up time with my crappy laptop hard drive is 40 seconds. Not completely sure if that's fast or not.

Offical ROG Maximus V Owners Club

Currently Playing: Neverwinter / Guardian / Beholder
Known As KREZ everywhere else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 4022 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 04:52 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 5)
Anybody else experiencing this issue I've read on the ROG forums... could it be a possible dealbreaker for some?
Quote:
Oh yeah, I have the Maximus V Gene, and on more than one Z77 boards ASUS has crippled the configuration options for the Asmedia controllers. In the BIOS/UEFI you can now only set the Asmedia controller to enable/disable, and to OptionROM on/off. That is it. You can't configure IDE, ACHI mode at all. So to be clear: you can configure the Intel-controlled SATA3 ports still, but you can't configure the Asmedia-controlled ports anymore (but you could with previous boards like the Z68's).

You are right to say it will mess with your boot order. I have this related problem: I install my OS to a SSD on the Intel-controlled port, and have a data SSD on the Asmedia-controlled port. What I get is this: I can't complete my OS install on the Intel-controlled SSD unless I unplug or disable the Asmedia controlled SSD. Upon reboot during the OS install, otherwise it won't boot into the Intel-controlled SSD. The reason that happens is because now, the way ASUS crippled this, the Asmedia controllers will default to IDE only and IDE takes precedence over ACHI on the BIOS level.

So basically ASUS has now taken the control away from us, and is forcing us to either manually unplug drives, or disable entire controllers in the BIOS each time we install an OS. Or, as in your case, you can forget about your chosen boot order

Only posted this in the Owners Thread because it seems to affect the Maximus V Gene users for now. Might be an issue for Futurer Maximus V Formula/Extreme owners. redface.gif

post #25 of 4022 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 07:15 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 140 (Unique: 102)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zk1mpls View Post

Anybody else experiencing this issue I've read on the ROG forums... could it be a possible dealbreaker for some?
Quote:
Oh yeah, I have the Maximus V Gene, and on more than one Z77 boards ASUS has crippled the configuration options for the Asmedia controllers. In the BIOS/UEFI you can now only set the Asmedia controller to enable/disable, and to OptionROM on/off. That is it. You can't configure IDE, ACHI mode at all. So to be clear: you can configure the Intel-controlled SATA3 ports still, but you can't configure the Asmedia-controlled ports anymore (but you could with previous boards like the Z68's).
You are right to say it will mess with your boot order. I have this related problem: I install my OS to a SSD on the Intel-controlled port, and have a data SSD on the Asmedia-controlled port. What I get is this: I can't complete my OS install on the Intel-controlled SSD unless I unplug or disable the Asmedia controlled SSD. Upon reboot during the OS install, otherwise it won't boot into the Intel-controlled SSD. The reason that happens is because now, the way ASUS crippled this, the Asmedia controllers will default to IDE only and IDE takes precedence over ACHI on the BIOS level.
So basically ASUS has now taken the control away from us, and is forcing us to either manually unplug drives, or disable entire controllers in the BIOS each time we install an OS. Or, as in your case, you can forget about your chosen boot order
Only posted this in the Owners Thread because it seems to affect the Maximus V Gene users for now. Might be an issue for Futurer Maximus V Formula/Extreme owners. redface.gif

Never knew about this. Maybe Asus will come out will a BIOS update to fix it if we get on them enough. A non-issue for me though since I have a single SSD in the Intel port.
post #26 of 4022 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 09:08 AM
New to Overclock.net

likewise. ssds running in IDE mode on the asmedia controllers would be running less than ideal though. but yeah... i guess the less important drives will be plugged in there (and the more important in the intel ones).

just putting the issue out there so that people that might have that setup in mind are aware of it. hopefully ASUS will be as well. thumb.gif

post #27 of 4022 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 09:13 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 79 (Unique: 69)
Isn't Asmedia just for a storage?

post #28 of 4022 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 09:13 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 267 (Unique: 206)
I have a MVF. CPU-Z

Car: 2007 Fiesta ST - Many many mods, to have ITB's at some point.
post #29 of 4022 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 09:31 AM
New to Overclock.net

^ Nice! Why'd you remove the Fusion Thermo heatsink?
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDown View Post

Isn't Asmedia just for a storage?

I believe so.

Pardon this (probably stupid) question: if the ASMedia SATA ports are storage-only, can I plug in an Optical drive in its port, provided that all of my other Intel SATA ports are populated? Just curious. LOL.

post #30 of 4022 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 09:36 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 140 (Unique: 102)
I'll add you when I get home one the comp. same question, why remove the heatsink? If you're not using it I want it please. I'd make a deal to swap with the one on my MVG biggrin.gif.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in