ASRock X79 Extreme 11 Owners Issues & Hopefully Fixes - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

ASRock X79 Extreme 11 Owners Issues & Hopefully Fixes

post #21 of 1202 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 02:27 PM
Iunno

Rep: 0
Anyone else filled all 8 ram slots already? I use 2133-rated mushkin redline enhanced (the 993997 quad kit), which is well-reviewed for overclocking and capable of posting at 2400 with only slightly relaxed timings and default voltage (I've tried it myself). It posts fine with just one pack of four installed, but if install both packs, filling all eight slots, it refuses to post even at its rated 2133. It keeps erroring out after 67 and 5A on Dr. Debug, which are both cpu-related. After three failures, it automatically downclocks the ram to 1333 so I can get into the bios and mess with stuff again.

Notes:

1) It'll post with all eight sticks if they're running at 1866 or lower.

2) It won't post with all eight at 2133 even with extra voltage and/or very relaxed timings.

3) I don't *think* it's heat. I have a 140mm fan blowing right on the sticks. The CPU between is liquid-cooled by an H100. I even pointed a beefy room fan at the motherboard, running full blast. No go.

4) Both 4-packs post fine by themselves in A1/B1/C1/D1, It's only when A2/B2/C2/D2 are used as well that it won't post at the memory's (easily-)rated speed.

5) I don't *think* I'm running short on power. I have an AX1200 and I think I remain far under 1000W at peak, let alone 1200W.

Any thoughts? Vega, you out three? You seem most like to have run into this, if anyone. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 1202 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 02:52 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by AikenDrum View Post

Anyone else filled all 8 ram slots already? I use 2133-rated mushkin redline enhanced (the 993997 quad kit), which is well-reviewed for overclocking and capable of posting at 2400 with only slightly relaxed timings and default voltage (I've tried it myself). It posts fine with just one pack of four installed, but if install both packs, filling all eight slots, it refuses to post even at its rated 2133. It keeps erroring out after 67 and 5A on Dr. Debug, which are both cpu-related. After three failures, it automatically downclocks the ram to 1333 so I can get into the bios and mess with stuff again.
Notes:
2) It won't post with all eight at 2133 even with extra voltage and/or very relaxed timings.
3) I don't *think* it's heat. I have a 140mm fan blowing right on the sticks. The CPU between is liquid-cooled by an H100. I even pointed a beefy room fan at the motherboard, running full blast. No go.
4) Both 4-packs post fine by themselves in A1/B1/C1/D1, It's only when A2/B2/C2/D2 are used as well that it won't post at the memory's (easily-)rated speed.
5) I don't *think* I'm running short on power. I have an AX1200 and I think I remain far under 1000W at peak, let alone 1200W.
Any thoughts? Vega, you out three? You seem most like to have run into this, if anyone. smile.gif

Check the Memory Support List. Once you get above 2000, very few are fully supported for 8 modules. (The ones that say "v" across the board.) I went with the G.Skill F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH pack since it's the fastest 4-gig module with an official stamp of approval for quad-channel use in groups of 4 and 8 at full speed as well as overclocking. I know RAM is RAM and, if it meets the specs, it should just work. But sometimes it doesn't.

New build on the bench:
ASRock X79 Extreme11, Intel i7-3930K, Galaxy GeForce GTX680 GC 4GB (x4 in transit)
post #23 of 1202 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 116 (Unique: 93)
It is not wise to fill all of the RAM slots on any MB unless it is a server MB. Performance always degrades, especially with enthusiasts MB's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 1202 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 03:45 PM
Iunno

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtown View Post

Check the Memory Support List. Once you get above 2000, very few are fully supported for 8 modules. (The ones that say "v" across the board.) I went with the G.Skill F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH pack since it's the fastest 4-gig module with an official stamp of approval for quad-channel use in groups of 4 and 8 at full speed as well as overclocking. I know RAM is RAM and, if it meets the specs, it should just work. But sometimes it doesn't.
Heh, thanks, I wish I had known about the list a few weeks ago. Those sticks are even the same price at newegg.

Actually, before I order... can you or anyone else confirm that 8 x F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH definitely do work in an extreme11? You didn't specify how many you're using.
post #25 of 1202 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 03:47 PM
Iunno

Quote:
Originally Posted by theseekeroffun View Post

It is not wise to fill all of the RAM slots on any MB unless it is a server MB. Performance always degrades, especially with enthusiasts MB's.
Information like this is useful, but only if backed up by an explanation. Would you mind elaborating, please?
post #26 of 1202 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 03:55 PM
Iunno

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC15 View Post

Can I just ask what case people are using to mount this board. Just curious smile.gif
I'm running mine in an NZXT Switch 810. I think it's the one people call the stormtrooper? Mine's all-black though, not the white/black version. Anyway, it's okay, nice and roomy on the m/b side, but I kinda wish now that I'd gone with a Cosmos II for bigger cable-hiding space on the back side, or maybe one of those nifty 90-degree Fortress cases..
post #27 of 1202 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 04:42 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

Heh, thanks, I wish I had known about the list a few weeks ago. Those sticks are even the same price at newegg.
Actually, before I order... can you or anyone else confirm that 8 x F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH definitely do work in an extreme11? You didn't specify how many you're using.

I'm using 4 at 2133. That's all I need and I'm waiting for my other two video cards to arrive before I try overclocking anything. But I'd certainly expect 8 to work in quad channel at 2133 since ASRock says that combination is supported. If I ever get to a point where games are eating up 16 gigs of RAM, I'll add more.

New build on the bench:
ASRock X79 Extreme11, Intel i7-3930K, Galaxy GeForce GTX680 GC 4GB (x4 in transit)
post #28 of 1202 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 08:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 77 (Unique: 56)
Quote:

Notes:

I use that Quad kit with my Extreme 9 and was unable to get stability at 2133, but am running at 1866 with tighter timings. I haven't tried 8 sticks, but it is a know problem with the ASrock boards, mem overclock is not their strong suit.

post #29 of 1202 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 09:08 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 129 (Unique: 97)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackk View Post

Cosmo II

NICE! thumb.gif

I just picked up the Cosmos II as well! biggrin.gif

The Mountain Mods Ascension CYO was getting on my wires, I mean, nerves. XD

2iu6pi.jpg
post #30 of 1202 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 09:34 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 523 (Unique: 361)
The motherboard doesn't really have that much to do with overclocking memory with all 8 DIMM's filled. Unless there are unusually long traces or a bad design with the memory connection and power supply. But the memory talks directly to the CPU memory controller. It's really the CPU that will limit you with that many sticks and not the motherboard from my experience.

I never really pay attention to "recommended and tested" memory support lists. High quality memory is high quality memory and should work in theory the same on any X79 MB as on the X79, unless there are design problems like mentioned before.

GPU: TITAN RTX - 2175 MHz, liquid cooled
CPU: 9900K 5.4 GHz, liquid cooled
MB: ASUS Maximus XI Gene
RAM: G.Skill 32GB 4000 MHz Samsung B-Die
SSD: Intel Optane 905P - 960GB
DISPLAY: LG 48CX OLED / VR: Modified Vive Pro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in