Review of GIGABYTE's 2nd Gen. X79 Workstation MB: X79S-UP5 - Page 23 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Review of GIGABYTE's 2nd Gen. X79 Workstation MB: X79S-UP5

post #221 of 367 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 11:05 PM

Watching this thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #222 of 367 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 12:10 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
i am really getting tired of the issues on this board - supposed savings i got on this is being wasted troubleshooting.

added SAS raid and running a single SSD on port 0. was running fine for a few days then i went to latest RSte driver 11.7 and started getting BSOD's on windows 8. Found other X79 users with same issue so i tried going back to rst driver 11.6 and have had nothing but issues since. System keeps freezing up. So i popped in a brand new Kingston hyperx ssd and tried installing W7. I have been wasting hours trying to get an install complete on this [email protected]#@$#% board. Bios randomly sees kingston drive then does not see it(regardless of bios defaults being set - does not display this issue with the OCZ drive). After W7 install it gets caught in a loop of repairing.

Now before you blame the user or media or drive let me say that it has no issues installing on an Asrock/AMD 965 rig with same drive and using same media(even used same sata cable). My original OCZ agility 4 ssd with W8 which is still freezing up on the gigabyte board also works fine on the AMD system. Maybe i should RMA...mad.gif

post #223 of 367 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 05:49 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 50 (Unique: 44)
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsparky32 View Post

Watching this thread.

Likewise....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #224 of 367 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 11:31 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 105 (Unique: 76)
Alright, I got a new BIOS from Gigabyte to test this morning and running a 12-13 quick passes of AVX enabled LinX at 4.4GHz with 6C/12T shows no signs of throttling biggrin.gif I am at work now and did not have time to do more extensive testing this morning, but I will hopefully do some tests at 4.2GHz and at 4.6GHz tonight.

Please try the BIOS and let me know if it has worked for you by posting back in this thread. You can download the new F4u BIOS from my Box.com link below...

https://www.box.com/s/mmgytc4wb2nd0wdv9968

I would recommend testing 4.2GHz, 4.4GHz, and 4.6GHz settings. Make sure that you set Turbo Power Limit to 1200W and Core Current Limit to 300A, and that you set the main multiplier and all turbo multipliers to the same value (for example, if you want 4.4GHz you would set all values to 44x). Voltage (CPU) can be on Auto.

Please let me know your feedback. This is really looking promising now! biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobretti View Post

i am really getting tired of the issues on this board - supposed savings i got on this is being wasted troubleshooting.

added SAS raid and running a single SSD on port 0. was running fine for a few days then i went to latest RSte driver 11.7 and started getting BSOD's on windows 8. Found other X79 users with same issue so i tried going back to rst driver 11.6 and have had nothing but issues since. System keeps freezing up. So i popped in a brand new Kingston hyperx ssd and tried installing W7. I have been wasting hours trying to get an install complete on this [email protected]#@$#% board. Bios randomly sees kingston drive then does not see it(regardless of bios defaults being set - does not display this issue with the OCZ drive). After W7 install it gets caught in a loop of repairing.

Now before you blame the user or media or drive let me say that it has no issues installing on an Asrock/AMD 965 rig with same drive and using same media(even used same sata cable). My original OCZ agility 4 ssd with W8 which is still freezing up on the gigabyte board also works fine on the AMD system. Maybe i should RMA...mad.gif
What kind of "freezing" are you getting? I seem to be having a problem with random video driver crashes and BSODs during Windows boot-up. However, I am so far learning towards my 3+ year old video cards being the issue...
post #225 of 367 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 08:36 PM
New to Overclock.net

Here's a teaser with the new F4u BIOS. 4.6GHz, rock solid biggrin.gif That's more in line with what this board should offer. thumb.gif Notice that the power consumption has now properly gone up as well, LinX results are steady at an average of 151 GFlops (+/- 2GFlops), in other words exactly what one should expect to get. Nothing special set in the BIOS, just multipliers to 46x and Turbo Power Limit to 1200W and Core Current Limit to 300A. The rest is on Auto.

post #226 of 367 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 05:20 AM
Iconoclast

Rep: 3135 (Unique: 1869)
Promising results so far, though I am still a little concerned about the reported GFLOPS figures you are getting. I get ~152GFLOPS at only 4.375GHz, with slower memory (if you are still at 1866 in that picture), but I suppose the difference could be because of extra stuff you are running and not any throttling.

Looks like I'll have to get my UP5 out again and do some testing myself. I don't relish the idea of gutting my system and moving everything, again, but if the UP5 works the way it should, I'd rather use it, as I really prefer the layout (and the fact that I can use my PCI sound card).

...rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual. -- Thomas Jefferson
post #227 of 367 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 11:14 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blameless View Post

Promising results so far, though I am still a little concerned about the reported GFLOPS figures you are getting. I get ~152GFLOPS at only 4.375GHz, with slower memory (if you are still at 1866 in that picture), but I suppose the difference could be because of extra stuff you are running and not any throttling.

Looks like I'll have to get my UP5 out again and do some testing myself. I don't relish the idea of gutting my system and moving everything, again, but if the UP5 works the way it should, I'd rather use it, as I really prefer the layout (and the fact that I can use my PCI sound card).
I'll have to look at my sheet at home again but I do believe that the GFlops scaling is consistent, as I have reported before. It's certainly not dipping any more like it used to do when throttling was at play. The difference that you are seeing could stem from many factors. Different OS, different drivers in the background, other background applications, etc. I am using 1866MHz still, 64GB though of it and the latencies are not the best, so that is likely lowering the #s a bit too. Overall, it looks solid but I'll revisit my scaling sheet when I get a chance. If you are suspecting something being amiss, PCMark and Cinebench would be better tests to compare, but again the platforms would have to be fully equalized. It's hard to comment on differences when there is variability in test parameters.
post #228 of 367 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 01:05 PM
New to Overclock.net

Finally some good news for you guys!!

post #229 of 367 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 03:26 PM
New to Overclock.net

pulling down the file now and will do some testing in next 2 hours. Thanks again with your persistence on getting this fixed.

regarding my other issues...After a complete reinstall on the OCZ drive and staying with RST 11.6 drivers I have not had a BSOD again BUT I still can't get the BIOS to consistently see the Kingston SDD. It has no problem on my AMD systems (Asrock 970 Extreme 3 and Asus M4A785TD-M EVO). One thing though if these BSOD's return I'll may look at another board frown.gif

post #230 of 367 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 04:04 PM
Iconoclast

Rep: 3135 (Unique: 1869)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejanh View Post

I'll have to look at my sheet at home again but I do believe that the GFlops scaling is consistent, as I have reported before. It's certainly not dipping any more like it used to do when throttling was at play. The difference that you are seeing could stem from many factors. Different OS, different drivers in the background, other background applications, etc. I am using 1866MHz still, 64GB though of it and the latencies are not the best, so that is likely lowering the #s a bit too. Overall, it looks solid but I'll revisit my scaling sheet when I get a chance. If you are suspecting something being amiss, PCMark and Cinebench would be better tests to compare, but again the platforms would have to be fully equalized. It's hard to comment on differences when there is variability in test parameters.

LinX/IBT FLOPS figures aren't the most useful benchmark. As long as the scaling looks right and you don't see any throttling, ever, things should be fine.

On an side note, I had extreme difficulty even booting at DDR-1866 the last time I used my UP5 and 1.32v is exceptionally good for 4.6GHz on a 3930k (though I suppose lower temps could be somewhat responsible for that). Have you noticed any improvement in OCing capability with the new BIOS?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobretti View Post

pulling down the file now and will do some testing in next 2 hours. Thanks again with your persistence on getting this fixed.

regarding my other issues...After a complete reinstall on the OCZ drive and staying with RST 11.6 drivers I have not had a BSOD again BUT I still can't get the BIOS to consistently see the Kingston SDD. It has no problem on my AMD systems (Asrock 970 Extreme 3 and Asus M4A785TD-M EVO). One thing though if these BSOD's return I'll may look at another board frown.gif

Are you using the RSTe ROM?

What ports are you trying to use your Kingston SSD with?

...rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual. -- Thomas Jefferson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in