Asus P9X79-E WS Owners? - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Asus P9X79-E WS Owners?

post #21 of 272 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 09:44 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
If it helps, I have a Titan Hydrocopper in the first slot and all of the memory slots are filled with Dominator Platinums with the lightbar kits and everything fits fine. The GPU card comes right up to the memory slots on the MB but is not physically touching. It's about about a .5 mm gap if that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 272 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 21 (Unique: 20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunk View Post

I'm eying up this board, but I'm a little concerned with how close the memory slots are to the first PCIe slot.
Has anyone run into any problems of not enough room when installing a video card with a backplate or memory with heat spreaders that extend longer than the contacts lengthwise?

The clearance from the memory slots is definitely an issue. I have EK XXL water-blocks with back-plates on my GPU's and there was no way to fit the card on the first pcl-e slot with the back-plates on. I had to trim the edges of the bottom tabs on the memory slot using a wire side cutter (you can even use a nail trimmer). It's really easy and painless.
post #23 of 272 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 02:47 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Good day to all. I'm about to build a machine with the following characteristics:

-BOARD ASUS P9X79-E-WS
-D.D. SSD Samsung 840PRO 256Gb
-Fuente CoolerMaster 1000W SPG
-Memoria ECC Samsung DDR3 1600MHZ 4 barras de 8gb =32GB (M391B1G73BH0-CK0)
-Procesador INTEL E5-2690 2.9GHZ 8CORE
-Disipador de Procesador NOCTUA NH-D14 SP2011
-Targeta de Video PNY NVIDIA QUADRO K5000
-Coprocesador de Video PNY NVIDIA TESLA K20
-Unidad Quemadora DVD LG
-CAJA CoolerMaster STORM TROOPER

The question is that as you think, and as you see the component compatibility, and you have to respect opinions, knowing that will be used for analysis computing environments in CAD​​-CAM-CAE.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 272 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 03:02 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 12 (Unique: 11)
Quote:

I'm eying up this board, but I'm a little concerned with how close the memory slots are to the first PCIe slot.
Has anyone run into any problems of not enough room when installing a video card with a backplate or memory with heat spreaders that extend longer than the contacts lengthwise?

Hi Lunk,

I have experienced exactly that! I cannot use the top PCIE slot as my Titans have back plates that catch on the memory latches, then because of slot spacing and water cooling, I have one Titan in a black slot (8x), one titan in a blue slot (16x) and the Asus sound card in a blue (16x)..................

I think Asus stuffed up the design (not that there is much room!!), in that the very top slot should have been black (8x) and worked down from there.

No biggy. No issues with performance in real world. If I was benching for a record etc, then I would take the back plates off rolleyes.gif

Cheers

Rob

Getting Old
post #25 of 272 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 21 (Unique: 20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlanano View Post

Good day to all. I'm about to build a machine with the following characteristics:

-BOARD ASUS P9X79-E-WS
-D.D. SSD Samsung 840PRO 256Gb
-Fuente CoolerMaster 1000W SPG
-Memoria ECC Samsung DDR3 1600MHZ 4 barras de 8gb =32GB (M391B1G73BH0-CK0)
-Procesador INTEL E5-2690 2.9GHZ 8CORE
-Disipador de Procesador NOCTUA NH-D14 SP2011
-Targeta de Video PNY NVIDIA QUADRO K5000
-Coprocesador de Video PNY NVIDIA TESLA K20
-Unidad Quemadora DVD LG
-CAJA CoolerMaster STORM TROOPER

The question is that as you think, and as you see the component compatibility, and you have to respect opinions, knowing that will be used for analysis computing environments in CAD​​-CAM-CAE.

With E5-2690, ECC memory, Quadro, and Tesla, you've gotta perfect computing platform. Here are a few things I think you might find useful:

1. Contact Asus to make sure your exact ECC memory is supported by this motherboard. I couldn't find the list of supported ECC memories in the QVL doc. Here is the link to the QVL (Qualified Vendor List for memory) http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/Socket2011/P9X79-E_WS/Manual&QVL/P9X79-E_WS_memory_QVL_130625.pdf

2. The CPU's based on the SB-E architecture which include the E5-2690 might or might not (It's a crap shoot) have issues when the PCI-E lanes are run in Gen3 mode. This might not be an issue in your case since both the k20 and k5000 are Gen2 cards.

3. Intel Xeon E5-26xx v2 CPU's are rumored to be released soon. The Xeon E5-2697 v2 with 12 cores looks really good smile.gif

According to Asus p9x79-e ws will support them. Although they haven't released the bios update to enable IB-E yet. http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Xeon/Intel-Xeon%20E5-2697%20v2.html

4. Since CAD-CAM applications deal with large files, you might benefit from multiple Samsung 840 Pros in RAID.

Good luck with your build and let us know how it goes.
post #26 of 272 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 10:01 PM
New to Overclock.net

Almost there... Few more rigid acrylic tweaks, some cable management stuff, and then just wait for the 4960X to be released smile.gif
post #27 of 272 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 12:06 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
I just got this board and was able to fit my video card in the first PCIe slot (MSI GTX770). I haven't tried the RAM yet, but I think it will fit (Corsair Vengeance).

If anyone is running the Intel SATA ports in AHCI mode, can you look in Windows Device Manager and post the name of the controllers listed under "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" ?
I need to know which device to select when installing the driver during a Windows install.

Thank you.

Click it harder!
post #28 of 272 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 02:41 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hi,

I have thw questions

1- how do you power the 6-pin EATX12V_1 connector near the pcu socket?
2- has a firewire header and cable?

Regards

Ugo
post #29 of 272 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 02:53 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugo1 View Post

Hi,

I have thw questions

1- how do you power the 6-pin EATX12V_1 connector near the pcu socket?
2- has a firewire header and cable?

Regards

Ugo

I have a modular power supply and will end up just making a cable for it. I know that doesn't really answer your question but if you have an extra GPU adaptor from your PSU set that should work fine.

To tack on to UGO1's question: I have 3 Titans in SLI. Since the titan has two power connectors already would I benefit from using this plug? Is it recommended or will I actually damage the GPUs because they are all getting power directly from the PSU?

Also, I have three SSD's and one Blu ray player. I am plugging two of the SSD's into the Intel 6 G/s Sata ports and one into the Marvell 6 G/s controller. I have heard the marvell is finiky and have had great luck with the intel on other computers. Can I still use all three with the intel raid configurator. Also, will they draw power from the Sata cable or will they require a separate power cable as well?
Manual was vague on this.

I have a power cable running to the Blu Ray and a Sata off of another Marvell 6G/s slot. This is correct?

Sorry for such basic questions and thanks, as always, to everyone in this forum thumb.gif

Cheers,
Nate
post #30 of 272 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 03:42 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 12 (Unique: 11)
Quote:

I just got this board and was able to fit my video card in the first PCIe slot (MSI GTX770). I haven't tried the RAM yet, but I think it will fit (Corsair Vengeance).

If anyone is running the Intel SATA ports in AHCI mode, can you look in Windows Device Manager and post the name of the controllers listed under "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" ?
I need to know which device to select when installing the driver during a Windows install.

Thank you.

Lunk,

Under Windows 7 Device Manager, mine shows:

ATA Channel 0
ATA Channel 1
Intel(R) C600 Series Chipset SATA AHCI Controller
Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller

I hope that helps in some way.

I have not used the 6 pin EATX socket near the CPU. I am only running 2 Titans in SLI, so they should be able to receive enough power via the PCIE slot and their own power cables to each card. My understanding is that in triple or quad card setups, the slots themselves may not be able to get enough power, so the extra socket is provided. My "old" Gigabyte board had a thin power connector on the side of the board (same as on new SSD drives) for the PCIE slots, worked well and out of the way, not like this socket/plug................

Nate,

My understanding is that each component will still need power, I am unsure that SATA provides power, only DATA AFAIK.

Cheers

Rob

Getting Old

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in