The Truth about Ultra Durable 5 Plus Gigabyte Mother Boards - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

The Truth about Ultra Durable 5 Plus Gigabyte Mother Boards

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 154 (Unique: 113)
Quote:
GIGABYTE Ultra Durable™ 5 motherboards use IR3550 PowIRstage® ICs, which feature the industry's highest 60A rating, with Lower Losses, Higher Efficiency and Excellent Thermal Management.

http://www.gigabyte.us/microsite/312/images/PowIRstage.html

Then with the release of the Z87 chipset Gigabyte added the word Plus to the Ultra Durable 5 line of mother boards.

Ultra Durable 5 standard was IR3550 VRM parts.

The mathematical logic of the word plus is to add to the existing value.

The standard was the IR3550 part and adding the word plus to that standard should if anything mean it was improved upon.

There was nothing added by the word plus, instead the wording was just a marketing lie to make the buyer think that the new 8 series chipset with the Ultra Durable 5 IR3550 parts was some how improved upon but instead Gigabyte cheapened the overall quality of the mother board to save money on parts used and trick its market into thinking they were getting more value and quality in parts than the original definition of the line of products that defined the Ultra Durable 5 brand.

To me this is out right deception.

I bought a Gigabyte Z87X-OC that has this Ultra Durable 5 Plus deceptive marketing and I thought I paid into a high quality mother board but it turns out I didn't get the IR3550 parts instead I got a much cheaper VRM part that is found on much cheaper priced Gigabyte mother boards like the UD3H and the UD4H. UD4H actually has twice the number of IR3553 vrm parts than my more expensive Z87X-OC has.

I feel ripped off and I am totally unsatisfied with this marketing lie that I bought into.

The cheaper IR3553 parts that are found on UD3H, UD4H, and the Z87X-OC motherboard and each one of these mother boards along with a few more expensive Gigabyte mother boards use this cheaper IR3553 VRM part and are marketed as being Ultra Durable 5 Plus.

The Truth is Gigabyte has cheapened down the Ultra Durable 5 name by deceptively adding the word Plus making the buyer (me) think the quality is higher than Ultra Durable 5 quality when in reality it has gotten cheaper.

In the case of the Z87X-Force which costs over $400 Gigabyte has used the more expensive real Ultra Durable 5 VRM part IR3550 yet Gigabyte still uses the GIGABYTE Ultra Durable™ 5 Plus Technology branding which in this case the word Plus really means you get the IR3550 part and a whole bunch of them.

Pay attention to this double standard bogus marketing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 01:26 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 76 (Unique: 52)
What a bummer, I had no idea about this

Current
(13 items)
Holiday rig
(8 items)
3Dfx
(13 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7 5820k
Motherboard
Asus X99-S
GPU
MSI Radeon R9 280X Gaming
RAM
Avexir DDR4-2400 C16 16GB(4x4) Platinum
Hard Drive
Samsun SSD 850 EVO
Hard Drive
Hitach HDT721010
Power Supply
Antec TP 550 New
Cooling
EK Supremacy Clear CSQ
Cooling
Alphacool XT45 360+240
Cooling
EK-VGA Supreme HF
Cooling
Swiftech MCP655-PWM
Case
NZXT Switch 810
Monitor
Dell S2340L
CPU
Intel Core i5 2500k
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z68AP
GPU
Sapphire Radeon HD 6850
RAM
8GiB Samsung DDR3 green
Hard Drive
Seagate 7200.11 1TB
Power Supply
Corsair 550W
Cooling
Themalright ultra 120 eXtreme
Case
CM Haf 912
CPU
Athlon XP 1900+
Motherboard
MSI KT3 Ultra ARU
GPU
3Dfx VooDoo 5 5500 AGP
RAM
512 MiB
Hard Drive
Samsung 80GB
Optical Drive
(no name)
Power Supply
Enermax 350W
Case
(no name)
Operating System
(no name)
Monitor
(no name)
Keyboard
(no name)
Mouse
(no name)
Mouse
(no name)
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 07:27 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 12 (Unique: 10)
Guys, don't believe anything this guy says. He is going around a lot of different forums, youtube video comments, you name it to try and blow smoke and pull the wool over people's eyes that don't know any different.

Take XS for example. He has been told by so many experienced member about his claims being nothing but idiotic almost yet he still keep finding new forums to supposedly "tell the truth". There is nothing to tell! Gigabyte is using IR(old Chil) power design on Ultra Durable 5 and 5+ motherboards. It is industry's BEST power design and also most expensive as well. The addition of plus brings about new capacitor design. Nippon Chemi-Cons from Japan designed an exclusive range of black 10,000 hour caps rated at 105C. Basically whatever component is added on the board it has to be the best and it is.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?286526-**Official**-GIGABYTE-Z87X-OC-OC-Force-Club

GIGABYTE Australia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 154 (Unique: 113)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinos22 View Post

Guys, don't believe anything this guy says. He is going around a lot of different forums, youtube video comments, you name it to try and blow smoke and pull the wool over people's eyes that don't know any different.

Take XS for example. He has been told by so many experienced member about his claims being nothing but idiotic almost yet he still keep finding new forums to supposedly "tell the truth". There is nothing to tell! Gigabyte is using IR(old Chil) power design on Ultra Durable 5 and 5+ motherboards. It is industry's BEST power design and also most expensive as well. The addition of plus brings about new capacitor design. Nippon Chemi-Cons from Japan designed an exclusive range of black 10,000 hour caps rated at 105C. Basically whatever component is added on the board it has to be the best and it is.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?286526-**Official**-GIGABYTE-Z87X-OC-OC-Force-Club

There is not smoke blown. Just the truth. I fell for that bogus marketing Ultra Durable 5 line once and I wish somebody would have explained the truth.

The best part originally was the IR3550 VRM which operates cooler and more power efficient at any load and it is the BEST IR part.

Are you sponsored by Gigabyte?

You can't accurately state that Gigabyte is using the best parts on the Z87X-OC. It's a decent mother board for over clocking but lacking many features. It's over priced at $199 IMO. If it had the IR3550 part thenI would be totally satisfied with the $200 price point for the features that it has.

Have you read the Z87X-OC owners thread here? You should go take a look. Many people have problems with this mother board and the problems are more related to the BIOS or hardware problems that the MB has. It's not a great mb and it needs to be revised to be fixed. When will this MB be revised and updated with proper working C2 stepping?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 01:42 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
what are the actual drawbacks of the cheaper parts?
my ud3h has weied SATA problems.....

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 09:52 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gero2013 View Post

what are the actual drawbacks of the cheaper parts?
my ud3h has weied SATA problems.....

What weird problems are you having? I got a UD4H and have no SATA issues, though have been back and forth with Gigabyte Support about the availability of USB 3.0 headers at boot time.

- Tim
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 03:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbessie View Post

What weird problems are you having? I got a UD4H and have no SATA issues, though have been back and forth with Gigabyte Support about the availability of USB 3.0 headers at boot time.

- Tim

dem here

https://www.overclock.net/t/1434578/z87x-ud3h-sata-port-problems

doesn't have to do with VRMs though,
so what about the cheaper parts, what are the drawbacks and how severe are they?

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 10:39 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 530 (Unique: 310)
There are no issues. In fact VRM is completely overkill. These boards use the same quality components as Asus does on their flagship boards. OP was just disappointed because he felt deceived by Gigabyte's marketing...

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 11:56 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote:

Thanks! Yeah, I haven't had any problems with SATA on this board at all. Good luck on fixing that!

- Tim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in