What is a great board for the new I7 4770K? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

What is a great board for the new I7 4770K?

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 13 (Unique: 11)
What board would you recommend? around the $150 - 240 mark? I will OC farther down the line

Gigabyte UD5? Sabertooth? Sniper?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 08:59 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 122 (Unique: 98)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsabrewulf View Post

What board would you recommend? around the $150 - 240 mark? I will OC farther down the line

Gigabyte UD5? Sabertooth? Sniper?
I would go with the sabertooth,had a z77 and i loved it,goes with any colour scheme....

Currently Playing...Titanfall...Watch Dogs...Skyrim...Murdered~Soul Suspect...DayZ...BF4...

Up Next...Enemy Front...Sniper Elite 3...Middle-Earth Shadow of Mordor...The Division...The Crew...

''When you're drawing up your list of life's miracles,you might place near the top,the very first moment your baby smiled at you''
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 09:00 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 10)
Its your choose. I would personally go for the UD5H.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 09:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 737 (Unique: 415)
this right here so far out of the three z87 boards i have owned is my favorite so far.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131989

the asus maximus vi hero.

Ill start by saying this thing is a champion overclocker in my book. I have my 4770k at 4.8ghz stable atm, i have pushed it to 5.2ghz stable on the same board, but i put it back to 4.8 until i delid because as we all know the 4770k runs fairly hot.

This board has all the features you could want as an average overclocker who enjoys gaming/overclocking/whatever. It isnt bogged down by a ton of extreme features most people wont really use in their life time, such as liquid nitrogen etc, i know i wont at least, or else i would have gotten the maximus vi extreme board.

the onboard audio of it is pretty nice also, though of course a dedicated sound card will do better as always.

high quality components adorn this motherboard as do all the asus maximus boards.

best of all, the price on this thing compared to some of the newer boards out is definitely what i would call competitive for the features you get.

the only few complains i have with it, only two way sli capable, but really thats okay for me, i plan on getting a 4930k to put quad titans on instead of my 4770k.

No glowing middle "Republic of Gamers" logo, for those that use stock air cooling, for me however that wont matter as i will be grabbing the EK waterblocks that come out for this board very soon. so i would have removed it anyways if it did have one.

Also, the bios on this board are great and easy to use, no confusion, overclocking made simple thumb.gif
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 13 (Unique: 11)
How do the sabertooths OC?

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 09:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 737 (Unique: 415)
Quote:

Wish i could tell you, i only buy the RoG from asus.

i can tell you however, the msi gd65 gaming board is a damn fine overclocker, and its pretty cheap for the great features you get with it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 09:13 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 122 (Unique: 98)
Quote:

Well i had my 3570k at the time on a sabertooth z77 at 4.5 never tried for higher @ 1.2v,but keep in mind that no matter how good the board is, it always boils down to how good of a overclocker the chips is....

Currently Playing...Titanfall...Watch Dogs...Skyrim...Murdered~Soul Suspect...DayZ...BF4...

Up Next...Enemy Front...Sniper Elite 3...Middle-Earth Shadow of Mordor...The Division...The Crew...

''When you're drawing up your list of life's miracles,you might place near the top,the very first moment your baby smiled at you''
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 12:15 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 795 (Unique: 515)
Don't get the Sabertooth, it doesn't overclock any better than any of the normal Z87 boards, it's just priced higher. Get a Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H (or UD4H if you have a Microcenter nearby) or something like the Asus Z87 Plus. The motherboard matters very little for Haswell overclocking.

Forceman's Law: Any AMD/Nvidia GPU thread, no matter what the topic, will eventually include a post referencing the GTX 970.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in