Gaming and mouse response BIOS optimization guide for modern PC hardware - Page 103 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Gaming and mouse response BIOS optimization guide for modern PC hardware

post #1021 of 4041 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 12:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 120 (Unique: 111)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolsAndJezuz View Post

Maybe for *****s and giggles you could disable in Device Manager the USB controller that seems to control everything and restart. See if that somehow forces the other one to do something besides setting firmly on its thumb. I doubt it, but it's something to at least try that wouldn't require any driver installation changes. Though I'm not exactly sure how you would go about re-enabling the USB controller if it was your only means of using your USB devices who-let-rip-smiley.png

I'll try that, cheers. I was thinking also if I populate enough ports before plugging mouse, it might kick the later ones to the other hub/IRQ. I think I only had 4-5 USB devices plugged in total when I tested yesterday.

cookie cutter 2012
(15 items)
CPU
3930k 4.7 1.384v
Motherboard
RIVE BIOS 2105
GPU
1080TI FTW3 2050/6003
RAM
16GB Samsung 2133Mhz CL10
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA 1300G2
Cooling
H110
Case
Arc Midi R2
Operating System
Win 10 Pro 64bit
Monitor
XL2420T
Keyboard
K70 Reds
Mouse
SS QCK+
Mouse
Zowie FK2, many opticals
Audio
Xonar Essence STX
Other
Intel EXPI9301CT NIC
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1022 of 4041 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 167 (Unique: 109)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieboyeli View Post

R0ach, if you're still alive, I'd like to know your conclusions on 347.09 WQHL.

I expected it to be the same as the beta, but when I installed it, it was slower. I tried it late at night and uninstalled it fast afterwards, so it's possible I forgot to re-disable Nvidia virtual audio or something, but that was my initial results. I haven't put much effort into testing the WHQL.

Mouse Input Lag BIOS & Windows Optimization Guide
too many personal messages to reply to
post #1023 of 4041 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 02:49 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 95 (Unique: 53)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion667 View Post

I think I only had 4-5 USB devices plugged in total when I tested yesterday.

Uwotm8

I only have 1 USB device plugged in. My beautiful baby Naos 7000 shall have naught to compete with the get every USB resource it needs :3

sourceGL software
CS:GO and TF2 sensitivity - 1 @ 850DPI, 48.9cm per 360°
baby boy
(22 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.8GHz - de-lidded (w/ ROCKIT COOL Copper IHS)
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
GPU
EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified @ 1532MHz core, 4192MHz memory
RAM
OCZ Reaper HPC 2GB [x4] @ 2400MHz, 8-12-8-28 1T
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 PRO 256GB [x2]
Optical Drive
Lite-On DL-8A4SH
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova PS 1000W
Cooling
Cooler Master Nepton 140XL [x2] (w/ EK-Vardar F3-140ER fans)
Cooling
Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut liquid metal thermal compound
Cooling
Fujipoly ModRight Extreme thermal pads
Case
SilverStone Fortress FT05B
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (w/ NVIDIA Driver 399.24)
Monitor
BenQ XL2411Z 24" @ 144Hz
Keyboard
Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate (w/ MX Green modifiers and PBT keycaps)
Mouse
Logitech G900 - de-braided and de-battery'd (w/ Hotline Games Master feet)
Mousepad
Logitech G640 3mm
Audio
ASUS Xonar Essence STX II (w/ UNi modded driver)
Audio
beyerdynamic DT 880 PRO headphones (w/ AntLion ModMic 4.0)
Audio
Blue Sky eXo 160W 2.1 studio monitors
Other
Solarflare SFN6122F network adapter
Other
MikroTik RouterBoard RB751G-2HnD
Other
CyberPower 1350AVR UPS
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1024 of 4041 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 03:05 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 120 (Unique: 111)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolsAndJezuz View Post

Uwotm8

I only have 1 USB device plugged in. My beautiful baby Naos 7000 shall have naught to compete with the get every USB resource it needs :3

phone dock, hdd dock, mouse, kb and a usb stick I was testing with
where the $%^&* am I supposed to plug them in then? I don't have USB ports at the back of my head lol

I MIGHT put the HDD back inside the PC at some point but I might be ripping my hair out (again) after. WD Black are SO goddamn loud, it resonates through my case, in to my desk
If I had a laptop it would be a different story - this is my *do everything on* PC. I try not to use my work laptop for personal stuff, they log everything

cookie cutter 2012
(15 items)
CPU
3930k 4.7 1.384v
Motherboard
RIVE BIOS 2105
GPU
1080TI FTW3 2050/6003
RAM
16GB Samsung 2133Mhz CL10
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA 1300G2
Cooling
H110
Case
Arc Midi R2
Operating System
Win 10 Pro 64bit
Monitor
XL2420T
Keyboard
K70 Reds
Mouse
SS QCK+
Mouse
Zowie FK2, many opticals
Audio
Xonar Essence STX
Other
Intel EXPI9301CT NIC
▲ hide details ▲
post #1025 of 4041 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Quote:

I noticed a negative effect on cursor movement plugging in PC gamepads (some brands were much worse than others) and USB sticks, so there's no way I would have all that stuff plugged in. Maybe once you pass a certain threshold of devices adding more isn't noticeable, but that's not territory I'm wanting to explore.

post #1026 of 4041 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 04:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

where the $%^&* am I supposed to plug them in then? I don't have USB ports at the back of my head lol

I MIGHT put the HDD back inside the PC at some point but I might be ripping my hair out (again) after. WD Black are SO goddamn loud, it resonates through my case, in to my desk
If I had a laptop it would be a different story - this is my *do everything on* PC. I try not to use my work laptop for personal stuff, they log everything

I would advise either only plugging in USB devices on an as-needed basis or pursuing the possibility of getting USB ports surgically implanted in the back of your head (because having them in the front would look daft, amirite?)

Another option would be to pick up a PCI USB controller so you can separate your input USB devices and utility USB devices onto two separate USB controllers.

sourceGL software
baby boy
(22 items)
CPU
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Optical Drive
Lite-On DL-8A4SH
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova PS 1000W
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Monitor
BenQ XL2411Z 24" @ 144Hz
Keyboard
Mouse
Mousepad
Logitech G640 3mm
Audio
Audio
Audio
Other
Other
Other
CyberPower 1350AVR UPS
▲ hide details ▲
post #1027 of 4041 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 04:57 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
does asus p8z77-M pro have good mosue movment?

post #1028 of 4041 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 05:41 PM
New to Overclock.net

To show some evidence of the important of IRQ Resource tweaking, here's Device Managerand msinfo32.exe when I have my mouse plugged in next to the PS/2 port where you would intuitively plug in your mouse, which has my mouse sharing IRQ 16 with my GPU. This resulted in some unsavory polling rate deviations in MouseMovementRecorder during fast movement.

Compare this with plugging my mouse in a USB port near my onboard ethernet jack, granting my mouse its own IRQ 23. Note that this is an ideal IRQ Resource scenario, with my PS/2 keyboard, mouse, GPU, sound card, and network adapter all having their own little slice of IRQ real estate. The MouseMovementRecorder screenie highlights the largest polling deviations I now have during fast movement, post- IRQ tweaking.

It was actually even much worse than this a few days ago. When I first looked into IRQ allocation, I had my GPU, network adapter, mouse, and even keyboard (was using USB instead of PS/2 for it then) all sharing IRQ 16. Not only was this even more detrimental on polling rate deviations than the first example above, but it was also causing occasional rogue BSODs/freezes. This is because I have my GPU on quite a high overclock so I can eek out the FPS I need to maintain good mouse movement in TF2 and CS:GO. So it was being quite disagreeable with having to share its IRQ, even though it was a seemingly stable OC as judged from torture testing. Turns out that it was only stressing the GPU, but in real-world conditions where all four devices on that single IRQ 16 were being stressed, the random and confusing BSOD would sporadically rear its ugly little head. Haven't had a single BSOD or freeze since sorting out my IRQs, which entailed using PS/2 for my keyboard, switching the mouse USB plug-in location so as to change its USB host controller, and buying a new PCI-e network adapter so I could have it too separated from my GPU's IRQ.

And yes, the keen eye might have discerned a naughty little secret that I've been ashamed to admit. I am currently forced to use Wifi, which is far and away the single biggest contributor to my DPC latency and cursor movement stability. I will of course be using ethernet again as soon as I possibly can, though I don't know when that will be right now. Hopefully my little secret doesn't completely invalidate my opinion on input lag to the OCN Mice subforum aristocracy D:

sourceGL software
baby boy
(22 items)
CPU
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Optical Drive
Lite-On DL-8A4SH
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova PS 1000W
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Monitor
BenQ XL2411Z 24" @ 144Hz
Keyboard
Mouse
Mousepad
Logitech G640 3mm
Audio
Audio
Audio
Other
Other
Other
CyberPower 1350AVR UPS
▲ hide details ▲
post #1029 of 4041 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Consolidating the Windows 8.1 install guide here from another thread.

22 step Windows 8.1 install guide with settings and services changed:

1) Install Windows 8.1 iso. In the setup menu, I delete all partitions then manually create a new one instead of installing into unpartitioned space.

2) Hit the Windows key + Q, type "user account control", turn off user account control (UAC) then reboot.

3) Click the mouse section in the control panel and turn off acceleration.

4) Run Windows update and reboot. I don't install any updates for Internet explorer or Flash for IE since IE is going to be uninstalled.

5) Open the power icon in the control panel and change it to "high performance" and reboot.

6) Install Intel Chipset driver but don't install Rapid Storage or Intel Management Engine Interface. Reboot after.

7) Install graphics card driver and reboot. Do not install any options except for the driver itself, uncheck everything else. After rebooting from Nvidia drivers, go into the Nvidia scaling tab and change it to "Display - No Scaling" and reboot again. If you change anything in the scaling tab, mouse movement will feel off until you reboot, so you can't toggle back and forth to test between modes to see how each feels.

8) Let the system idle for a few minutes for every service to load, then open a command prompt and type "winsat formal". This is similar to the Windows 7 experience index. It will configure your SSD and graphics properly, etc. Reboot after finished.

9) Open the action center, under the maintenance section where it says, "Check for solutions to problem reports", click settings, then "change report settings for all users", and turn it off to get rid of Windows error reporting.

10) Right click the task bar at the bottom of the screen, go into properties, the only two boxes checked on first page should be "lock the task bar" and "use small taskbar buttons" (optional). On the next tab, "Navigation", the only box checked should be "when I sign in, go straight to the desktop instead of start". On the next page, "Jump lists", both boxes should be unchecked.

11) Hit windows key + C to bring up the charms menu, click settings, then "change pc settings" on the bottom of next page. Go in there and disable pretty much everything like removing all the metro apps, disable app switching, etc. Just about any slider that can be set to "On/Off" is better off in these menus.

12) Hit Windows key + Q to bring up the search box. Type "defrag" in the search box and click "Defrag and optimize your drives". Turn off scheduled defrag.

13) Type Windows Defender in the search box and on the last tab uncheck the "use this application box" to turn windows defender off

14) Open the control panel, click "date and time", click the "internet time" tab, change settings, uncheck the box "Synchronize with an internet time server" and click ok.

15) Open regedit and go to the following key:

Hkey_Local_Machine > System > Current Control Set > Control > Session Manager > Memory Management > Prefetch Parameters

Change the following two settings to "0" instead of "3":

- EnablePrefetcher - unneeded for SSD
- EnableSuperfetch - unneeded for SSD (Winsat should have already removed this key if it detected an SSD as boot driver)

16) Change Nvidia control panel settings to look like the following:

17) Open the control panel, click the system icon, click advanced system settings. On the system protection tab, click the configure button to turn off system restore for all drives. You can't leave it on or you'll have services like volume shadow copy running that will bog down your system. Check it a few days later and make sure it hasn't turned back on. Click the "remote" tab to the right of system protection and turn off the box that says "allow remote assistance connections to this computer" also.

18) Open the services section (control panel > administrative tools) and disable the following services:

- Print Spooler
- Windows Search
- Superfetch
- Human Interface Device Access
- Make sure Windows update service is set to manual and is not running. If Windows update service is running even when set to manual and you haven't opened it, you will need to disable it.

19) Change Background Intelligent Transfer service from automatic to manual in services. It shouldn't start unless you run Windows update.

20) Open Internet Explorer 11 and in the options menu, disable "smooth scrolling" because IE settings affect desktop movement in Win8. Also open the "about" menu and uncheck the automatically install new versions box.

21) Open regedit (right click the windows button and click run and type "regedit"), and go to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TimeBroker

Change the key from 3 to 4 to disable the time broker service. It's for metro apps in Windows 8 and has a related exe that usually runs all the time.

22) Go into the control panel > programs and features > "Turn Windows Features On/Off" and uninstall the following until the menu looks like this:

- Internet Exploder 11 - first turn off smooth scrolling in the options menu of IE, then turn off automatic updating under the "about" section of IE.
- Print and document services
- SMB 1.0/CIFS file sharing support
- Windows Location Provider
- Windows Powershell 2.0
- Work folders client
- XPS services
- XPS viewer

23) At this point, these are your last settings to fine tune. I currently use audio out from my Nvidia card for sound (with the default Microsoft driver), so I do not have multiple sound devices in my system.

If you have an additional sound device besides the Nvidia audio out, disabling the Nvidia sound may help. Open the device manager, right click on nvidia virtual audio and disable it (have to do it every time you reinstall Nvidia drivers). You can also disable the Nvidia HDMI audio out under sound section in device manager too. It will be listed as "high definition audio device" and will have the same device instance path as your GPU.

post #1030 of 4041 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 11:14 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)

With G402 on Win7 with onboard DPI using no drivers biggrin.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in